Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:36:49 -0500, Jason Marshall
wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

The best way is to put the wet clothes on and run around the
neighborhood until they dry.
--
"Your brain is so scary sometimes... it really is."-Jedediah Bila...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

The best way is to put the wet clothes on and run around the
neighborhood until they dry.

Hi,
Don't need to run around. From 3rd story window, wave that wet clothes, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2014 5:36 PM, Jason Marshall wrote:
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

So, when the wind blows and the trees sway, is the line supposed to stretch
and shrink or will you be providing some mechanism to absorb the movement?
If you don't allow for movement of the trees then you will need some _very_
strong rope to handle the task and regular clothes line isn't likely up to
it. Don't forget that the rope, whatever it is, will need to handle the
weather and UV damage since, at 100 feet, it won't be taken down after
every use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees
where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

The best way is to put the wet clothes on and run around the
neighborhood until they dry.

Hi,
Don't need to run around. From 3rd story window, wave that wet clothes,
LOL!

Throw the clothes out the window. Go down, see
if they are dry. Repeat as necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

The best way is to put the wet clothes on and run around the
neighborhood until they dry.

Hi,
Don't need to run around. From 3rd story window, wave that wet clothes, LOL!

What do the Canucks do in Canada, during the frozen winter -- thaw the
clothes out after collection?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jason Marshall" wrote in message
worldhosting.com...
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

Impose on gonjah to use his soon to be working dryer.

Use the oak tree to hang up a good short-wave antenna.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

The best way is to put the wet clothes on and run around the
neighborhood until they dry.

Hi,
Don't need to run around. From 3rd story window, wave that wet clothes, LOL!

What do the Canucks do in Canada, during the frozen winter -- thaw the
clothes out after collection?

Hi,
No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:59:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The best way is to put the wet clothes on and run around the
neighborhood until they dry.

Hi,
Don't need to run around. From 3rd story window, wave that wet clothes,
LOL!

Throw the clothes out the window. Go down, see
if they are dry. Repeat as necessary.

Hope I didn't read the OP incorrectly, but maybe he can post a photo
of the Oak trees and where he lives.

I've seen oak trees ~250 years old and none were 50' tall, if I
remember correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2014 6:33 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:11:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

Yep. We need to know the dew point, right? I'm not familiar with a
zero percent dew point. I have been mistaken before, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

Yep. We need to know the dew point, right? I'm not familiar with a
zero percent dew point. I have been mistaken before, though.

The quote is "humidity outside is below 0%". Which means
that there are less than 0 units of water per unit of air.
Anyhow, I doubt that is physically possible.

Just the cynical scientist in me, who is right 120% of
the time. (I know; zing me.)

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Senior Member

Jason:

I think I would probably just use ordinary clothes line. If for whatever reason that wasn't practical, my next suggestion would be stainless steel aircraft cable. That cable is very strong and you could do with a much smaller diameter cable than clothes line. I would be concerned that 100 feet of clothes line would be hard to pull to reel the clothes in and out.

To address the concerns about the swaying of the trees, clothes lines don't need to be taut. If you allow quite a little slack in the line, the trees will still sway. I'm thinking that 100 feet might be quite a heavy clothes line, so you'd have to anchor it to something pretty solid at the house end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren[_2_] View Post
What do the Canucks do in Canada, during the frozen winter -- thaw the
clothes out after collection?
Oren: During the winter, Canadians use electric and gas dryers to dry their clothes. But, in the summer, clothes lines in the country and in small towns and villages are not an uncommon sight, as are "rain barrels" and "burning barrels". When I was a kid, my mother dried our clothes on a clothes line. We had a huge rain barrel behind our house where the rain gutters emptied into, and my mother used that water to irrigate the vegetable garden we had in our back yard. And, there was a garbage collection service paid for by property taxes, but people were expected to burn what could be burned so as to reduce the amount of stuff that needed to be hauled to the landfill site. So, we had a 45 gallon drum in the back lane behind our house and we burned newspapers and paper grocery bags in it. That wouldn't be allowed now because of flying embers landing on someone's roof and starting a fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

My recommendation would be to make sure the clothes line is very light
weight. You definitely don't need the extra weight when you're trying
to jump 100 feet to the tree. Also, before you make that leap, make
sure you have had an extra large helping of beans because the gas the
beans will create will make you lighter.

Lastly, as you're in mid leap don't fart! If you do you'll loose that
advantage of the gas making you lighter and you'll hit the ground like
a ton of bricks.

Say hello to Darwin for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in newsh2Uv.289133
:

wrote:

No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

Yep. We need to know the dew point, right? I'm not familiar with a
zero percent dew point. I have been mistaken before, though.

The quote is "humidity outside is below 0%". Which means
that there are less than 0 units of water per unit of air.
Anyhow, I doubt that is physically possible.

You are just so negative Stormy.

Here it is right on "paper".
0% - 1% = -1%.

:-)

Just the cynical scientist in me, who is right 120% of
the time. (I know; zing me.)

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news
wrote:

No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

Yep. We need to know the dew point, right? I'm not familiar with a
zero percent dew point. I have been mistaken before, though.

The quote is "humidity outside is below 0%". Which means
that there are less than 0 units of water per unit of air.
Anyhow, I doubt that is physically possible.

It involves anti-water. Do I need to draw you a picture?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

The quote is "humidity outside is below 0%". Which means
that there are less than 0 units of water per unit of air.
Anyhow, I doubt that is physically possible.

It involves anti-water. Do I need to draw you a picture?

Yes, please do. I'll admit, we don't have
that in the northern hemisphere.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, actually even in frozen state they do dry,
takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is
below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

Yep. We need to know the dew point, right? I'm
not familiar with a
zero percent dew point. I have been mistaken
before, though.

Sounds to me like you are talking about Flin Flon
! ;)}

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

My mother always used cotton clothesline, but only about 6 feet off the
ground, because that's as high as she could reach. At one house it
was about 50 feet long, and maybe the same at the next house.

But she also needed clothes poles, because the weight of the clothes
would make the line sag. I think it makes a catenary, but I didn't know
that word then. Her clothes poles were 2x2's about 8 feet long, with a
V cut in one end and a point cut at the other. I've seen metal clothes
poles too,.

Unless you're very tall, you'll need 100 feet times two to reach 100
feet away, because you'll have to go round trip, and then attach the
clothes from the window, pull the other piece of rope so the clothes go
away from you, attach more clothes, etc. Plus you'll need a 4"
pulley at each end, and a spring to keep some tension on the rope. If
the tree you attach too really sways, you'll need a longer spring,

I don't think clothes poles will work for you so expect a lot of sag.

When I was born we had an oak tree in the front yard which must have
been 24 feet tall by then. I would look out the window a few years
later, and it was as tall as our 2-story house with four steps up the
front porch. I"m 67 now and the tree must be about 75 or 80 years
old. It obscures from sight, almost the entire 2nd floor. and I saw
the tree about 5 years ago. At 20 feet high, it may be too thick to
sway, but at 25, the height of your open window, I'm less sure.

AFAIK, clothes line with pulleys at each end is used mostly in the part
of the city where apartment buildings are only 20 or 30 feet apart. .
Much less sag. Are you sure this will work?

I bought 100 feet of cotton clothesline about 33 years ago, and it's
still good today. But cotton might stretch too much and too fast and
be inconvenient for 100 foot length.

I wouldn't expect yours to last as long. Mine spent 99% of its time
indoors. I haven't gotten it one wet more than once or twice and only
a little wet at that, and I've actually only used it for maybe 130 hours
total, mostly to tie things to the car, the trailer, the roof of the
SUV, to tie the fence to a bush when replacing a fence post, to pull a
tree down after I cut about half-way through, things like that. These
last 3 things were in the last 2 weeks.

No matter how little it takes to tie something I never cut it, and that
came in handy when I wanted to stand 50 feet from the tree I was pulling
down.

For 5 years I kept it in my 5th floor bedroom as a fire escape, but
there was only one fire and the flames were only 1.5 inches high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:59:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

Unless you're very tall, you'll need 100 feet times two to reach 100
feet away, because you'll have to go round trip, and then attach the
clothes from the window, pull the other piece of rope so the clothes go
away from you, attach more clothes, etc. Plus you'll need a 4"
pulley at each end, and a spring to keep some tension on the rope. If
the tree you attach too really sways, you'll need a longer spring,

I don't think clothes poles will work for you so expect a lot of sag.

You could combine my ideas with gfret's, and have a third pully, with
the bag of cement holding the whole contraption taut, while still having
a round-trip clothes line for attaching the clothes.

Do you own or rent? If you rent, some landlords won't want the bag of
cement hanging at ground level, and hanging higher will seem even worse
because when the contraption or the rope fails, the cement will fall on
someone's head or even on the dog. So discuss this with the ll, before
building.

Air drying of clothes is much better than machine drying, at least in
terms of cost.

When I was born we had an oak tree in the front yard which must have
been 24 feet tall by then. I would look out the window a few years
later, and it was as tall as our 2-story house with four steps up the
front porch. I"m 67 now and the tree must be about 75 or 80 years
old. It obscures from sight, almost the entire 2nd floor. and I saw
the tree about 5 years ago. At 20 feet high, it may be too thick to
sway, but at 25, the height of your open window, I'm less sure.

I looked at google maps, the old version, and I see now that the tree is
almost twice as high as the two story house. Because of the oak tree,
you really can't see the house at all anymore above 8 feet from the
ground, only the garage to the right, which is not attached and is twice
as far back as the house.

Try 219 East Clen Moore Boulevard, New Castle, PA

From above, the tree is wider than the lot (60 feet?) and covers the
driveway on the right and part of our neighbor's yard on the left. **

And then do street view. Be sure to TILT up (using the up-pointing
arrow on the circle on the upper left of the screen) and look at the
sky. I've never seen anything like it.

What do you think it is?

It looks like there is some big explosion a block or two behind my
house, at the same time the streetview picture was taken. Also at 221
East Clen Moore Blvd. New Castle PA ,

My house is on the north side of the street. Even when tilting all the
way up, so you're looking straight up, the clouds or plumes are seen,
but when panning so that you are looking up in the other direction
(south), you can see the outer fringes of those white things, but the
rest of the sky to the south is blue.

If you are looking at my house and spin around there is a church
directly across the street. It used to be a parking lot for the church
to its left.

I thought there were more trees on the street. Maybe the others all
died, except the oak.

**But I see the neighbors on the left have a tree in the back yard that
covers half of our back yard. (Yeah, I know I don't own it anymore. My
mother sold it.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jason Marshall" wrote in message
worldhosting.com
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

Are you asking about the type of rope to use?

"Clothesline" rope is cotten. It rots.

Polypropylene floats. Beyond that, it is useless.

Nylon is strong but it stretches. It also degrades - slowly - in
sunlight.

Dacron is strong and stretches less. It also degrades in sunlight but
less so than nylon.

You won't find anything useful at Home Depot. Go to a marine store...you
may not find anything there either but you can on line.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 22, 2014 5:36:49 PM UTC-4, Jason Marshall wrote:
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet away. I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do you have experience with something like this that you can make recommendations?

Try coated steel cable with pulleys and expansion spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 22, 2014 5:36:49 PM UTC-4, Jason Marshall wrote:
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I

want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet

away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do

you have experience with something like this that you can make

recommendations?

Are you planning to have a loop of clothesline with pulleys at each end so that you can pull the line to move the clothes in and out?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason Marshall wrote:
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

How do you plan to hang anything on a line 50 feet up? I'm thinking you
may need 200 feet of line, so you can pull the clothes to the window.
They did this a lot in tenement apartments.

In any event, clothesline is made of cotton and will fail with exposure
to weather. Probably a better choice is Dacron line with UV protection.
I would guess HD wouldn't carry this, as it is a product suited for
marine use. Nylon is another option, but it is very stretchy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jason Marshall" wrote in message
worldhosting.com...
I have a third-story window that goes out to a grove of oak trees where I
want to attach a clothesline from the window to the trees about 100 feet
away.

I will go to Home Depot and ask for clothes line, but, before I do, do
you have experience with something like this that you can make
recommendations?

I would go to an army surplus store if one is near you or get on ebay and
look for what is often called 550 cord. It can also becalled paracord or
parachute cord.

YOu may also want to look around for differance diameters of the cord.
Also look for Dacron cord of differant diameters and pick out the best one
for your application.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have 3 live oaks in my yard that grew from acorns and they are well
over a foot in diameter in less than 20 years.

We had one - southern live oak - start in 2000. It is now well in excess
of 12" in diameter - probably closer to 16" - and probably 25' - 30' tall.

We had another start in 2001 about 100' from the first. It is - at the
most - 6" in diameter and 8-10' tall. I've never figured out why the one
thrives and the other barely grows.

They just don't get
very tall, compared to the northern oaks. That is why you don't see a
lot of live oak lumber.

It is also because the lumber - again, SOUTHERN live oak - twists and
checks badly. Twenty years ago I tried ripping up a sizeable log into 5/4
and 8/r planks, sealing the ends and air drying under roof. The stuff
twisted and checked so badly that none was useable.

OTOH live oak lumber used to be very popular in ship building, primarily
because of the tree's propensity for drooping limbs...those limbs could be
dressed and used for ribs with minimal bending. I have no idea if that
type of live oak checks and twists but I doubt it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:43:20 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I would go to an army surplus store if one is near you or get on ebay and
look for what is often called 550 cord. It can also becalled paracord or
parachute cord.

Horrible choice. What is sold as para cord has a poly jacket and will
be shredded by the sun in short order
There may be a nylon para cord somewhere but it is not what most of
these "surplus" places sell. BTDT.

I guess there are lots of aftermarket knockoffs of the 550 paracord. The
true cord that meets mil spec should hold up well. I have had some up around
10 years holding up a wire around 130 feet long between trees for 2 of my
ham radio wire antennas.

Here is what is said for the true paracord.
a.. ? FEATURES OF THIS MIL-SPEC PARACORD 550: 100% Nylon, EIGHT (not
seven!) removable twisted inner strands, each made up of THREE (not two!)
twisted inside strands. Includes a visible Manufacturer's Colored
Identification Marker Strand of either GREEN or YELLOW. Preshrunk, and will
not rot or mildew. Resists ultra-violet light, abrasion and tangling.
Average breaking strength is in excess of 600 pounds.
b..

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:46:05 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I have 3 live oaks in my yard that grew from acorns and they are well
over a foot in diameter in less than 20 years.

We had one - southern live oak - start in 2000. It is now well in excess
of 12" in diameter - probably closer to 16" - and probably 25' - 30' tall.

We had another start in 2001 about 100' from the first. It is - at the
most - 6" in diameter and 8-10' tall. I've never figured out why the one
thrives and the other barely grows.

What are the soil and drainage conditions? Sand, water table? What we
call "scrub oaks" never get very big - usually in sandy dry
conditions. Live Oaks along a river bank grow well, like along
Suwannee River if not far from the river bank. Lack of moisture can
stunt growth - too much can drown them...

Contrary to what people think, you _can_ transplant a live oak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:20:11 -0700, Pavel314 wrote:

Are you planning to have a loop of clothesline with pulleys at each end
so that you can pull the line to move the clothes in and out?

Yes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:17:32 -0700, Thomas wrote:

Try coated steel cable with pulleys and expansion spring.

Why steel?

What does "coated" mean?

Would it not rust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:38:24 -0400, "Not wrote:

How do you plan to hang anything on a line 50 feet up? I'm thinking you
may need 200 feet of line, so you can pull the clothes to the window.
They did this a lot in tenement apartments.

Yes. I would hang the clothes at the window, and then roll the line down
and reverse that flow to bring the clothes back.

That's why it doesn't matter how high the line is, except to point out
that you can't reach it from the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:43:20 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I would go to an army surplus store if one is near you or get on ebay
and look for what is often called 550 cord. It can also becalled
paracord or parachute cord.

I have 1,000 feet of the black parachute cord!

That's a great idea, but it seems to be too thin to hold a typical
clothespin.

Does line that thin (about the thickness of a dress shoe shoelace) work
for clotheslines?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have 3 live oaks in my yard that grew from acorns and they are
well
over a foot in diameter in less than 20 years.

We had one - southern live oak - start in 2000. It is now well in
excess of 12" in diameter - probably closer to 16" - and probably
25' -
30' tall.

We had another start in 2001 about 100' from the first. It is - at
the
most - 6" in diameter and 8-10' tall. I've never figured out why the
one thrives and the other barely grows.

What are the soil and drainage conditions? Sand, water table?

Well, it is in central Florida on the ridge so the "soil" is sand with
some organic material in the top 6" or so. They are maybe 5' above the
water level in a nearby pond but water surface level can go up and down
like a yo-yo...I've seen it vary as much as 9' from one year to the next;
that's abnormal but 3' year to year isn't.

The thing is, both trees are at the same - or close to same - elevation
growing in the same soil. And close together.

What we
call "scrub oaks" never get very big - usually in sandy dry
conditions.

Nah, both are live oaks but a lot of Florida live oaks are hybrids.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jason Marshall" wrote in message
worldhosting.com
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:17:32 -0700, Thomas wrote:

Try coated steel cable with pulleys and expansion spring.

Why steel?

What does "coated" mean?

Would it not rust?

It will still rust but the clothes would be protected from rust stains.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/14, 2:26 PM, Jason Marshall wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:38:24 -0400, "Not wrote:

How do you plan to hang anything on a line 50 feet up? I'm thinking you
may need 200 feet of line, so you can pull the clothes to the window.
They did this a lot in tenement apartments.

Yes. I would hang the clothes at the window, and then roll the line down
and reverse that flow to bring the clothes back.

That's why it doesn't matter how high the line is, except to point out
that you can't reach it from the ground.

I've lived in a house with a clothes line on a pulley running to a
pulley on a tree 30 feet away. Even at 30 feet, there was a lot of
tension on the line and a lot of sag. It meant carrying a basket of
laundry upstairs and leaning out a window to work. Working that way was
a little slow, and there was always a risk of falling out. Hanging
large items was tricky, and it would mean a lot of tension on the line
when a large item was moved out 15 feet. The open window would let in
cold or hot air.

I've got a couple of posts 30 feet apart in the yard. The crossbars can
hold 4 lines. That's quicker, safer, and more convenient than a pulley
upstairs. I wish the posts were closer; at 30 feet, there's a lot of
tension on the posts.

The posts are obstacles to mowing and recreation. The house with the
upstairs pulley also had an umbrella-style dryer in the back yard.
That's the quickest, most convenient, and safest. You stand in one
place with the basket on a portable table. The speed is a blessing if
it's starting to rain. When you don't need it, you collapse it and lean
it in a corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/14, 7:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/22/2014 6:33 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
No, actually even in frozen state they do dry, takes longer.
Where I am during winter humidity out side is below 0 % often.
Indoor humidifier is a MUST during winter.

Humidity below zero percent? Now, that's
a sight to behold.

Must be 0% Celsius. That's of course 32% Fahrenheit!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:12:19 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

That is why I suggested braided nylon up around note 2 or 3.

I went to Home Depot today, and they had a 1/4" package labeled
"clothesline" made up of polyester/polypropylene at $18.21 for
200 feet. http://i60.tinypic.com/2rc1krc.jpg

5/16 would hold a clothes pin nicely and be easy on the hands when you
were rolling it in and out.

The only thing they had larger than 1/4 size was this almost
empty roll of 5/16th cotton/polyester "All Purpose Clothesline"
at $0.19 per foot: http://i57.tinypic.com/2nveyxz.jpg

Or, would you go with the 1/4" nylon/polyester next to it?

If you use the pulley and weight to tension it you will have
a lot of capability to handle stretch and sag.

Unfortunately, the *only* pulleys Home Depot had were plastic:
http://i57.tinypic.com/t89sme.jpg

I would like a six-inch pulley (to keep the two lines apart)
but the biggest I could find was four inches in diameter, in
plastic (which, I think, won't last a year).

The largest steel pulley I could find was half that width!

BTW, do you just *knot* the two ends? Or is there a graceful
way to connect the two ends so that they can go through the
pulley?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:20:11 -0700, Pavel314 wrote:

Are you planning to have a loop of clothesline with pulleys at each end so that you can pull the line to move the clothes in and out?

I just realized the pulleys only have enough room for the rope itself.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t89sme&s=8

Do you *knot* the ends?

If you knot them, they won't go through the pulleys.

Also, do you use bigger pulleys (ot keep the ropes apart)?