Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason Marshall Jason Marshall is offline

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:12:19 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

That is why I suggested braided nylon up around note 2 or 3.

I went to Home Depot today, and they had a 1/4" package labeled
"clothesline" made up of polyester/polypropylene at $18.21 for
200 feet. http://i60.tinypic.com/2rc1krc.jpg

5/16 would hold a clothes pin nicely and be easy on the hands when you
were rolling it in and out.

The only thing they had larger than 1/4 size was this almost
empty roll of 5/16th cotton/polyester "All Purpose Clothesline"
at $0.19 per foot: http://i57.tinypic.com/2nveyxz.jpg

Or, would you go with the 1/4" nylon/polyester next to it?

If you use the pulley and weight to tension it you will have
a lot of capability to handle stretch and sag.

Unfortunately, the *only* pulleys Home Depot had were plastic:
http://i57.tinypic.com/t89sme.jpg

I would like a six-inch pulley (to keep the two lines apart)
but the biggest I could find was four inches in diameter, in
plastic (which, I think, won't last a year).

The largest steel pulley I could find was half that width!

BTW, do you just *knot* the two ends? Or is there a graceful
way to connect the two ends so that they can go through the
pulley?