Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

On 9/23/14, 2:26 PM, Jason Marshall wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:38:24 -0400, "Not wrote:

How do you plan to hang anything on a line 50 feet up? I'm thinking you
may need 200 feet of line, so you can pull the clothes to the window.
They did this a lot in tenement apartments.

Yes. I would hang the clothes at the window, and then roll the line down
and reverse that flow to bring the clothes back.

That's why it doesn't matter how high the line is, except to point out
that you can't reach it from the ground.

I've lived in a house with a clothes line on a pulley running to a
pulley on a tree 30 feet away. Even at 30 feet, there was a lot of
tension on the line and a lot of sag. It meant carrying a basket of
laundry upstairs and leaning out a window to work. Working that way was
a little slow, and there was always a risk of falling out. Hanging
large items was tricky, and it would mean a lot of tension on the line
when a large item was moved out 15 feet. The open window would let in
cold or hot air.

I've got a couple of posts 30 feet apart in the yard. The crossbars can
hold 4 lines. That's quicker, safer, and more convenient than a pulley
upstairs. I wish the posts were closer; at 30 feet, there's a lot of
tension on the posts.

The posts are obstacles to mowing and recreation. The house with the
upstairs pulley also had an umbrella-style dryer in the back yard.
That's the quickest, most convenient, and safest. You stand in one
place with the basket on a portable table. The speed is a blessing if
it's starting to rain. When you don't need it, you collapse it and lean
it in a corner.