Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:59:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

Unless you're very tall, you'll need 100 feet times two to reach 100
feet away, because you'll have to go round trip, and then attach the
clothes from the window, pull the other piece of rope so the clothes go
away from you, attach more clothes, etc. Plus you'll need a 4"
pulley at each end, and a spring to keep some tension on the rope. If
the tree you attach too really sways, you'll need a longer spring,

I don't think clothes poles will work for you so expect a lot of sag.

You could combine my ideas with gfret's, and have a third pully, with
the bag of cement holding the whole contraption taut, while still having
a round-trip clothes line for attaching the clothes.

Do you own or rent? If you rent, some landlords won't want the bag of
cement hanging at ground level, and hanging higher will seem even worse
because when the contraption or the rope fails, the cement will fall on
someone's head or even on the dog. So discuss this with the ll, before
building.

Air drying of clothes is much better than machine drying, at least in
terms of cost.

When I was born we had an oak tree in the front yard which must have
been 24 feet tall by then. I would look out the window a few years
later, and it was as tall as our 2-story house with four steps up the
front porch. I"m 67 now and the tree must be about 75 or 80 years
old. It obscures from sight, almost the entire 2nd floor. and I saw
the tree about 5 years ago. At 20 feet high, it may be too thick to
sway, but at 25, the height of your open window, I'm less sure.

I looked at google maps, the old version, and I see now that the tree is
almost twice as high as the two story house. Because of the oak tree,
you really can't see the house at all anymore above 8 feet from the
ground, only the garage to the right, which is not attached and is twice
as far back as the house.

Try 219 East Clen Moore Boulevard, New Castle, PA

From above, the tree is wider than the lot (60 feet?) and covers the
driveway on the right and part of our neighbor's yard on the left. **

And then do street view. Be sure to TILT up (using the up-pointing
arrow on the circle on the upper left of the screen) and look at the
sky. I've never seen anything like it.

What do you think it is?

It looks like there is some big explosion a block or two behind my
house, at the same time the streetview picture was taken. Also at 221
East Clen Moore Blvd. New Castle PA ,

My house is on the north side of the street. Even when tilting all the
way up, so you're looking straight up, the clouds or plumes are seen,
but when panning so that you are looking up in the other direction
(south), you can see the outer fringes of those white things, but the
rest of the sky to the south is blue.

If you are looking at my house and spin around there is a church
directly across the street. It used to be a parking lot for the church
to its left.

I thought there were more trees on the street. Maybe the others all
died, except the oak.

**But I see the neighbors on the left have a tree in the back yard that
covers half of our back yard. (Yeah, I know I don't own it anymore. My
mother sold it.)