Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

wrote in message

I have 3 live oaks in my yard that grew from acorns and they are well
over a foot in diameter in less than 20 years.

We had one - southern live oak - start in 2000. It is now well in excess
of 12" in diameter - probably closer to 16" - and probably 25' - 30' tall.

We had another start in 2001 about 100' from the first. It is - at the
most - 6" in diameter and 8-10' tall. I've never figured out why the one
thrives and the other barely grows.

They just don't get
very tall, compared to the northern oaks. That is why you don't see a
lot of live oak lumber.

It is also because the lumber - again, SOUTHERN live oak - twists and
checks badly. Twenty years ago I tried ripping up a sizeable log into 5/4
and 8/r planks, sealing the ends and air drying under roof. The stuff
twisted and checked so badly that none was useable.

OTOH live oak lumber used to be very popular in ship building, primarily
because of the tree's propensity for drooping limbs...those limbs could be
dressed and used for ribs with minimal bending. I have no idea if that
type of live oak checks and twists but I doubt it.

--

dadiOH