Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:46:05 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I have 3 live oaks in my yard that grew from acorns and they are well
over a foot in diameter in less than 20 years.

We had one - southern live oak - start in 2000. It is now well in excess
of 12" in diameter - probably closer to 16" - and probably 25' - 30' tall.

We had another start in 2001 about 100' from the first. It is - at the
most - 6" in diameter and 8-10' tall. I've never figured out why the one
thrives and the other barely grows.

What are the soil and drainage conditions? Sand, water table? What we
call "scrub oaks" never get very big - usually in sandy dry
conditions. Live Oaks along a river bank grow well, like along
Suwannee River if not far from the river bank. Lack of moisture can
stunt growth - too much can drown them...

Contrary to what people think, you _can_ transplant a live oak.