Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default What would you use for a 100 foot long clothesline 50 feet up?

"Oren" wrote in message

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:46:05 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I have 3 live oaks in my yard that grew from acorns and they are
well
over a foot in diameter in less than 20 years.

We had one - southern live oak - start in 2000. It is now well in
excess of 12" in diameter - probably closer to 16" - and probably
25' -
30' tall.

We had another start in 2001 about 100' from the first. It is - at
the
most - 6" in diameter and 8-10' tall. I've never figured out why the
one thrives and the other barely grows.

What are the soil and drainage conditions? Sand, water table?

Well, it is in central Florida on the ridge so the "soil" is sand with
some organic material in the top 6" or so. They are maybe 5' above the
water level in a nearby pond but water surface level can go up and down
like a yo-yo...I've seen it vary as much as 9' from one year to the next;
that's abnormal but 3' year to year isn't.

The thing is, both trees are at the same - or close to same - elevation
growing in the same soil. And close together.

What we
call "scrub oaks" never get very big - usually in sandy dry
conditions.

Nah, both are live oaks but a lot of Florida live oaks are hybrids.

--

dadiOH