Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Backup, backup!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:29:05 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:04:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express
won't work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather
don't like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist
I upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 7/30/2013 7:37 PM, dadiOH wrote:

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and
the old IE won't do updates or much else on the web.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also
installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies
upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may have
problems with IE - that version is old now - on some sites unless you update
Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need to update it too via MS.
There are other browsers.

Firefox and IE works better than thunderbird and IE.
If you can't or won't use a REAL newsreader like Agent.

And I sent him Agent and the cheat codes last week. Which he
acknowledged getting

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:18:54 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You know, that sure makes sense.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

On 7/28/2013 7:43 PM, misanthrope wrote:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-conte.../03/backup.jpg

Never download MS updates from a non-MS site!

First I will shove Jesus up your goddamned moron ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:17:38 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My XP had system restore. Sadly, the restore points weren't working.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

On 7/28/2013 11:52 AM, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:01:37 -0700, Winston_Smith

Have you looked into restore points. Even if you haven't created any

yourself, if you have an anti-virus program, it very likely creates

them whenever it's going to mess with the setup.

I don't recall XP ever having a feature to create restore points. That

feature started with Vista.

Get the **** out of my country mormon!
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Gunner Asch wrote:

My son paid for a "computer technicians" course in Utah. They ripped
him off badly. Seriously badly. And the poor ******* thought they
were teaching him something worth money.

Over the past year or so, I've interviewed several people with recent CS
degrees. They did not get their money's worth. We are not looking for
skilled programmers with impressive resumes, just entry level programmers
with enough background to not require extensive handholding. The two hires
in that time did not have degrees.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Gunner Asch wrote:

Hell..Gmail can be set up to check your regular ISP email account..so
you dont even need to log into it..simply use Gmail. So can Pegasus
Email IRRC. Ive used it for years on the kids and grandkids computers.

Or vice versa. gmail is my burner account. They have an excellent spam
filter any anything that survives gets delivered to my ISP's POP3 server.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2013 9:26 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:28:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 7/30/2013 7:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Quit hanging around with dumb people.

I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.

This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.

Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express won't
work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather don't
like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist I
upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is a compatibility mode that can be selected
for running programs. I've never had to use it so I'll have to check it
out. o_O

There is such a thing but I've never had to use it even with some
pretty ancient DOS and Win 3.1 stuff running under XP.

Like the poster above you, I'm running XP-SP3, OE6, Outlook2003, and
IE8 just fine. FireFox works fine with that combo as does Forte Agent
in both usenet and email functions.

This is not rocket science.

I'm going to write about what I've done soon because I had a major
system GRONK caused by MS Antivirus but I'm recovering everything.
^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:07:19 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Hell..Gmail can be set up to check your regular ISP email account..so
you dont even need to log into it..simply use Gmail. So can Pegasus
Email IRRC. Ive used it for years on the kids and grandkids computers.

Or vice versa. gmail is my burner account. They have an excellent spam
filter any anything that survives gets delivered to my ISP's POP3 server.

Ayup...it can be used to work both ways. And Gmail can take up to
IRRC..a 200 meg file transfer as an email attachment. Most ISPs
allow 5 megs at best

Good only for photos and that sort of thing

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

rbowman on Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:05:33 -0600 typed
in alt.survival the following:
Gunner Asch wrote:

My son paid for a "computer technicians" course in Utah. They ripped
him off badly. Seriously badly. And the poor ******* thought they
were teaching him something worth money.

Over the past year or so, I've interviewed several people with recent CS
degrees. They did not get their money's worth. We are not looking for
skilled programmers with impressive resumes, just entry level programmers
with enough background to not require extensive handholding. The two hires
in that time did not have degrees.

I'm finding that my "mechanical drafting" in high school, and the
intervening decades, gave me the "smarts" to know what needs to be
done, so that the technical training in the software is more along the
lines of "how do I do what I want to do, in this software?"
Of course some things - couldn't really be done "by hand". Not as
precisely and not nearly as quickly.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:55:56 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

My son paid for a "computer technicians" course in Utah. They ripped
him off badly. Seriously badly. And the poor ******* thought they
were teaching him something worth money.

I saw a piece of a Senate hearing this morning about "for-profit"
schools getting gov backed student loan checks to the tune of
something like $52 billion a year. The loans default at +40% and the
student is forever on the hook to pay back.
I knew this was going on about 10 years ago when I chatted with some
youngsters who were on break from a "culinary" school.
This one. Check the prices.
http://www.chefs.edu/Tuition-And-Financial-Aid
One kid told me he was in hock for $35,000 for an 18 month program.
Felt sorry for them. My wife is a chef in a corporate kitchen, with
20 years experience. Makes $14 an hour. She's in the "elite."
I didn't tell them anything. They had enough problems already.
These kids will be lucky to get a job for $10 an hour.
Making a decent living cooking is a rarity.
There's no money in food service, and besides that all the schooling
in the world won't make you a good cook.
Wife has had some of these kids come into her kitchen.
So far they have all been useless.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Holy Crap! I'm going to have to start my own school that teaches "How To
Be A Prevert" apprentice pervert program with the more expensive
"Provert Degree" professional pervert. The great thing about it is that
it can all be done online ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

I neglected to keep the restore points in my refrigerator.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/30/2013 9:29 PM, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My XP had system restore. Sadly, the restore points weren't working

The restore point batteries were dead?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

How about college of student loan defaults? Teach your students how to
attract large sums of college loan monies, which never get paid back?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I saw a piece of a Senate hearing this morning about "for-profit"
schools getting gov backed student loan checks to the tune of
something like $52 billion a year. The loans default at +40% and the
student is forever on the hook to pay back.

Holy Crap! I'm going to have to start my own school that teaches "How To
Be A Prevert" apprentice pervert program with the more expensive
"Provert Degree" professional pervert. The great thing about it is that
it can all be done online ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

That is true. After a couple of time getting this computer jammed up and
having to reload software, change plans, etc. I'm a bit nervous about
doing any more changes for a while. I'll limp along on this less than
perfect system. At least I can get and send emails, even if it's not as
user friendly as the Outlook Express I lost.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/30/2013 10:56 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Firefox and IE works better than thunderbird and IE.
If you can't or won't use a REAL newsreader like Agent.

And I sent him Agent and the cheat codes last week. Which he
acknowledged getting

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a
course. Says that Outlook Express will work up to
Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.

Your friend just flunked because he/she is dead wrong.

Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express won't
work any more.

Nonsense

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder
6, and insist I upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express
stops working.

If it stops working it is not because you upgraded IE. And as I said, there
are other browsers.

On 7/30/2013 7:37 PM, dadiOH wrote:

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer,
and the old IE won't do updates or much else on the
web.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new
drive, you also installed IE and OE. OE will work just
fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies upon IE but even if
it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may
have problems with IE - that version is old now - on
some sites unless you update Java and Flash and maybe
even then; you might need to update it too via MS.
There are other browsers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2013 5:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
How about college of student loan defaults? Teach your students how to
attract large sums of college loan monies, which never get paid back?

Dang! That's even better! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

As the mentor, I desire the college to be named after me "stumped moron"
and of course, we'll discuss royalties and payments later. I'm easy to
please, a few million tax free, every year will do for start.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/31/2013 5:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
How about college of student loan defaults? Teach your students how to
attract large sums of college loan monies, which never get paid back?

Dang! That's even better! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2013 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As the mentor, I desire the college to be named after me "stumped moron"
and of course, we'll discuss royalties and payments later. I'm easy to
please, a few million tax free, every year will do for start.

A million my left nostril! We are talking billions son! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

You sure got off cheap, old pal. What's a few million here and there,
among friends?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/31/2013 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As the mentor, I desire the college to be named after me "stumped moron"
and of course, we'll discuss royalties and payments later. I'm easy to
please, a few million tax free, every year will do for start.

A million my left nostril! We are talking billions son! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I'm finding that my "mechanical drafting" in high school, and the
intervening decades, gave me the "smarts" to know what needs to be
done, so that the technical training in the software is more along the
lines of "how do I do what I want to do, in this software?"

That's what the colleges miss. They are so intent on producing 'computer
scientists' they spend more time on the theoretical underpinnings than how
to get things done. I got an alumni newsletter where the school announced a
new degree course in games and simulations. My first reaction was
'basketweaving!' but after thinking for a moment I realized they were
actually trying to teach a specific skill set that might get the graduates a
paying job.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I neglected to keep the restore points in my refrigerator

The one with the leaking Freon?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

rbowman on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:12:16 -0600 typed
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I'm finding that my "mechanical drafting" in high school, and the
intervening decades, gave me the "smarts" to know what needs to be
done, so that the technical training in the software is more along the
lines of "how do I do what I want to do, in this software?"

That's what the colleges miss. They are so intent on producing 'computer
scientists' they spend more time on the theoretical underpinnings than how
to get things done. I got an alumni newsletter where the school announced a
new degree course in games and simulations. My first reaction was
'basketweaving!' but after thinking for a moment I realized they were
actually trying to teach a specific skill set that might get the graduates a
paying job.

Back when I was taking ComSci classes, the emphasis was on "What
do you need to know, and how to find it out." It was about Computer
Science - as a theoretical discipline. Programming with a #2 pencil"
as my girlfriend put it.
And it ranges from hardware I/O, resource allocation in the OS,
what makes a "good" program, error trapping/correction ("Do not test
for an error condition you don't know what to do about."), S/W
testing, etc. Modeling - what it is, what it can't do "yet". And so
forth. Applications have their own set of meta issues. In any given
year, you have about five or six people who really are there for that
stuff. "Algorithms+Data Structures = Programs"
The other people there mostly want to write the code for the
program, and let someone else think about the algorithm and the
data-structure. They're needed too..
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Oh, that was the last one. This one has a dirty condensor, a couple
cases of slimfast, and shelves full of leaky batteries. And a couple
flashlights with corroded terminals and burnt out bulbs. I power it with
the generator with the blown engine, stale gasoline with no power,
extension cords with bare wires, and grey three to two cheater for the
lamp cord extension.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/31/2013 10:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I neglected to keep the restore points in my refrigerator

The one with the leaking Freon?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:11:23 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

OE is a component of Internet Explorer. It can be enabled in IE6 and
7.
If you upgrade to IE8 with OE uninstalled, you can not re-install OE
without first downgrading IE back to IE7 or IE6 first., because OE is
not part of IE8.
In XP you cannot go to IE9. In Win 7 you cannot go below IE 8, so no
OE in Win7.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

How about college of student loan defaults? Teach your students how to
attract large sums of college loan monies, which never get paid back?

You've got a better chance to default on the second coming. Banks give up,
credit card companies give up, student load holders will screw with you
until the day you die.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

pyotr filipivich wrote:

The other people there mostly want to write the code for the
program, and let someone else think about the algorithm and the
data-structure. They're needed too..

I've usually worked for smaller companies. There's none of that gradation of
software engineers, analysts, grunt level programmers and so forth.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:38:04 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

As the mentor, I desire the college to be named after me "stumped moron"

OK. First we will have to give you some stumps, or course. Do you
prefer hack saw, machete or an online course in making explosives at
home?

and of course, we'll discuss royalties and payments later. I'm easy to
please, a few million tax free, every year will do for start.

No wonder you have never reached world power status. You think too
small.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

rbowman on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:40:50 -0600 typed
pyotr filipivich wrote:

The other people there mostly want to write the code for the
program, and let someone else think about the algorithm and the
data-structure. They're needed too..

I've usually worked for smaller companies. There's none of that gradation of
software engineers, analysts, grunt level programmers and so forth.

At which point, you do want someone who understands the theory of
the subject. As well as how to write tight code which compiles first
time, sans bugs.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

pyotr filipivich wrote:

At which point, you do want someone who understands the theory of
the subject. As well as how to write tight code which compiles first
time, sans bugs.

Why don't you throw in the Fountain of Youth too?
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

rbowman on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:00:44 -0600 typed
pyotr filipivich wrote:

At which point, you do want someone who understands the theory of
the subject. As well as how to write tight code which compiles first
time, sans bugs.

Why don't you throw in the Fountain of Youth too?

Naw, just someone who doesn't understand this thing called "Life".
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2013 11:23 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:15:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2013 12:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

1. Xp is still supported and will be for at least another year.
2. You didnt install Agent, even though I sent it and the cheat codes
to enable all its features.
3. You didnt have adequate anti-virus software running
4. You are less than intelligent.

Thanks, Gunner. It's nice to know.

Stormin' the top poster, likes to blow off people that don't buy into
his help me, I'm a victim act. Don't ever criticize him or he will
kill file you and then call you unreliable and foulmouthed every
chance he gets.

.... Or accuse you of having been nasty to him, yet when asked to
provide a message reference cite, fails to do so and can't even
remember what was said that was so offensive...

--
MFB
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2013 2:34 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 07-27-2013 18:55, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This new Thunderbird isn't very easy to use, at least compared to OE.

It also doesnĖ“t spread viruses as easily as OE.

Not to mention Thunderbird is far easier to use than OE, and more user
configurable to boot.

--
MFB
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not to mention there are other options preferable to Outhouse Express:

If he doesn't like Thunderbird (why I'll never understand), he could
also use SeaMonkey browser/email application (which is closer to the
old Netscape 4.7x), or Gravity for his newsreader, or Xananews. Any
of those are better than lame Outhouse Express, and free as well...

--
MFB
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2013 11:52 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:01:37 -0700, Winston_Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 18:55:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I can't get the
computer working the way it used to. The way I liked.

Have you looked into restore points. Even if you haven't created any
yourself, if you have an anti-virus program, it very likely creates
them whenever it's going to mess with the setup.

I don't recall XP ever having a feature to create restore points. That
feature started with Vista.

XP does indeed have a system restore feature. The problem with
Windows system restore is I've seen it safely lock away malicious
software with the system restore points it creates, however.

Personally, I disable XP's system restore service anyway, and go with
scheduled incremental backups using either an older version of Acronis
True Image (version 8 or 9), or EaseUS Todo's Backup software which is
freely downloadable. I prefer Acronis because of it's Acronis Secure
Zone technique storing backups in a hidden manner from the OS,
therefore any malicious software that may creep in can't see the
Acronis Secure Zone's backup images either, or infect it.

If one uses Shareaza file sharing software, I'm sure they'll find an
older version of Acronis rather easily. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get
a copy of Acronis Disk Director as well. Works great for
disk/partition management. Of course, EaseUS also makes a disk
partitioning program that is also free (call EaseUS Partition Manager).

I thought *everyone* pretty much knew about these tools which have
been around for a while and work great.

--
MFB
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

pyotr filipivich wrote:

At which point, you do want someone who understands the theory of
the subject. As well as how to write tight code which compiles first
time, sans bugs.

Why don't you throw in the Fountain of Youth too?

Naw, just someone who doesn't understand this thing called "Life".

They've probably experienced a BORING life which is why they don't grok
how interesting life can be. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I once used Norton Ghost B.S., "Before Symantec" to preserve a lot of
systems but now have many other options with the commercial software
I've legally obtained free from Giveaway of the Day. AOMEI, Ashampoo,
EaseUS, Recovery Mechanic, Lazesoft, MunSoft, Ocster, Paragon and many
more. The site gives away a different paid software application or
suites every day and the apps are from different developers. I've had a
lot of fun getting very useful software from them that I can't afford to
buy. ^_^

Giveaway of the Day

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

The answer is 42.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/1/2013 2:54 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
rbowman on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:00:44 -0600 typed

Why don't you throw in the Fountain of Youth too?

Naw, just someone who doesn't understand this thing called "Life".

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

1) can't figure out the message rules for Usenet in Thunderchicken. Just
barely figuring out how to do a few things.
2) can't delete usenet messages in Thunderchicken.
3) can't read all my email accounts into one folder for Thunderchicken.
Each email adress goes to a separate folder.
4) Can't read email properties in TC, like I did in OE.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/1/2013 3:13 AM, Flint wrote:

Not to mention Thunderbird is far easier to use than OE, and more user
configurable to boot.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

1) can't figure out the message rules for Usenet in
Thunderchicken. Just barely figuring out how to do a few
things. 2) can't delete usenet messages in Thunderchicken.
3) can't read all my email accounts into one folder for
Thunderchicken. Each email adress goes to a separate
folder. 4) Can't read email properties in TC, like I did
in OE.

So dump it and use OE

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Sigh. I guess you havn't read the earlier messages?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

OT PC Backup Wesley[_2_] UK diy 46 April 8th 12 04:57 PM
OT; PC Backup The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 38 April 7th 10 03:03 AM
Backup Generators 101? Lee Home Repair 57 January 26th 10 02:31 AM
Sewar backup? Laurie Home Repair 2 February 19th 08 03:37 AM
CH programmer backup Tom B[_3_] UK diy 13 October 18th 07 11:20 PM