Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Backup, backup!

AWS? What dat?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 12:57 PM, rbowman wrote:

It's that dependence that is the Achilles heel. People may rethink if
something like AWS goes down hard for a few days.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2013 11:13 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
Have you looked into restore points. Even if you haven't created any
yourself, if you have an anti-virus program, it very likely creates
them whenever it's going to mess with the setup.

I don't recall XP ever having a feature to create restore points. That
feature started with Vista.

Right off the help file of win xp:

Featu System Restore
When to use it: When you suspect that any of the following changes have been
made:
a.. System or application settings have been changed. This includes
changes made through property sheets and changes made to the registry.
b.. Applications have been installed, updated, or removed.
c.. Files other than data files have been added or deleted.
If you suspect the problem is due to installing an application, first try
removing that application. If the problem persists, use System Restore. You
must be logged on as an administrator to use System Restore.
What it does: Restores all system and application settings back to those
that were in effect at a point in time you specify. Restores key
application, driver, and operating system files changed since that time.
Does not affect data files.
Available on: Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.

System restore stare on Windows ME, and has been on every Microsoft OS
since.

Restore points are created automatically
From Wikipedia:
"Restore points are created:

When software is installed using the Windows Installer, Package
Installer or other installers which are aware of System Restore.
When Windows Update installs new updates to Windows.
When the user installs a driver that is not digitally signed by
Windows Hardware Quality Labs.
On Windows XP or Windows Vista, every 24 hours of computer use or
when the operating system starts after being off for more than 24 hours
(10 hours in Windows Me), or every 24 hours of calendar time, whichever
happens first. This setting is configurable through the registry or
using the deployment tools on Windows XP. Such a restore point is known
as a system checkpoint. System Restore requires Task Scheduler to create
system checkpoints. Moreover, system checkpoints are only created if the
system is idle for a certain amount of time.In Windows 7, automatic
Restore Points are created only once every seven days, however a script
can be used to silently create Restore Points more frequently.
When the user manually creates a Restore Point.

In Windows XP, restore point files are stored in a hidden folder named
'System Volume Information' on the root of every drive, partition or
volume, including most external drives, and some USB flash drives. On
drives or partitions that are not monitored by System Restore, this
folder will be very small in size or completely empty, unless Encrypting
File System is in use or the Indexing Service is turned on. If the
System Volume Information folder is deleted, it will be recreated
automatically.

Older restore points are deleted as per the configured space constraint
on a First In, First Out basis."
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2013 5:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Saturday July 27, 2013
Last week, one of my computer programs wasn't working right. Short form,
is that I find out MS doesn't support XP anymore, and I can't get the
computer working the way it used to. The way I liked. This new
Thunderbird isn't very easy to use, at least compared to OE. I tried
downloading a service pack from a non MS website, and got some kind of
malware, that really made a mess of my drive, and my slave drive. Ended
up buying a new drive, and I'm in the process of reformatting the drive
I'd been using. Still can't get Outlook Express to work. Lost a lot of
files, data, and thousands of old emails that were either not backed up,
or can't be read with the new email program.

Just reminding y'all to make CD, DVD, and external drive backups of
anything you consider valuable.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-conte.../03/backup.jpg
Never download MS updates from a non-MS site!
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

AWS? What dat?

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services.
They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on Christmas
Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' on
Netflix streaming ****ed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all
have had outages. **** happens. Sometimes the effects are more far reaching
than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

AWS? What dat?

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services.
They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on
Christmas
Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life'
on
Netflix streaming ****ed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all
have had outages. **** happens. Sometimes the effects are more far
reaching
than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

Hmmm. Must be a big rock because there's lots of folks under it. I'm one.
Never noticed that AWS went down either.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:41:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2013 2:56 AM, Ray Keller wrote:

It also doesn?t spread viruses as easily as OE.

Stupid Moron is the alt.survival resident example of what not to do.

Will be a little something extra in your paycheck this week, for your
high level of quality service.

Stormin' the top poster, likes to blow off people that don't buy into
his help me, I'm a victim act. Don't ever criticize him or he will
kill file you and then call you unreliable and foulmouthed every
chance he gets.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:15:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2013 12:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

1. Xp is still supported and will be for at least another year.
2. You didnt install Agent, even though I sent it and the cheat codes
to enable all its features.
3. You didnt have adequate anti-virus software running
4. You are less than intelligent.

Thanks, Gunner. It's nice to know.

Stormin' the top poster, likes to blow off people that don't buy into
his help me, I'm a victim act. Don't ever criticize him or he will
kill file you and then call you unreliable and foulmouthed every
chance he gets.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Winston_Smith" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:41:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2013 2:56 AM, Ray Keller wrote:

It also doesn?t spread viruses as easily as OE.

Stupid Moron is the alt.survival resident example of what not to do.

Will be a little something extra in your paycheck this week, for your
high level of quality service.

Stormin' the top poster, likes to blow off people that don't buy into
his help me, I'm a victim act. Don't ever criticize him or he will
kill file you and then call you unreliable and foulmouthed every
chance he gets.

Yeah , Stormin' Mormon and I have had our differences . Only reason he
isn't killfiled on this laptop camper comp is his comedic value . Not a
lot of laughs out here in the woods .
--
Snag

Boy missionaries from BYU
they all used to swim in their
Sunday Best Suit
The head missionary said
"Don't swim like that."
So now they all swim in
their Sunday Best Hat ...
from a 60's tune ...or was that the 70's ???

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:03:14 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Ended up buying a new drive,
and I'm in the process of reformatting the drive I'd been
using. Still can't get Outlook Express to work. Lost a
lot of files, data, and thousands of old emails that were
either not backed up, or can't be read with the new email
program.

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP on it and OE doesn't
work? What's it not doing, should be no problem whatsoever.

Had you not formated your old drive you could have easily gotten all your
stuff - including the emails - off of it. Too late now, gone
forever...unless you are willing to spend Big Bucks with a data recovery
service.

O&O Unerase does a pretty good job of recovering deleted files.
http://www.oo-software.com/en/

http://www.oo-software.com/en/produc...overy/features
Might salvage his format bungle - if he hasn't written over it. If I
understand correctly, format just wipes out the FAT tables. I think
this program might very well rebuild them from the files it finds on
the disk. They have a free trial so it might be worth a shot.

If that's not the ticket, lots of leads here
https://www.google.com/search?q=unformat
including some stuff that claims to be freeware.

Unfortunately, Stormin's standard mode of operation is to make some
half hearted repair attempt instead of asking for help before he
screws it up. THEN he reports failure and gives us sage advice. Along
the way he blames the people that gave him the virus (if it even was
that), MS for not supporting what they do fully support, and probably
the company that makes the free virus checker he apparently didn't
bother having. He blames everybody in sight for his lack of a news
reader while Gunner sent him everything to get set up in style.

Amazingly, he also blames his failure to accomplish a new install of
XP on a new drive on MS lack of support.

He's a victim, nothing is his fault, the world is out to get him.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:20:10 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

AWS? What dat?

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services.
They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on Christmas
Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' on
Netflix streaming ****ed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all
have had outages. **** happens. Sometimes the effects are more far reaching
than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

Remember a few years ago, Blackberry lost one of their satellites.
Most of the US was uncovered and I kind of remember Europe having some
sort of problem. Lots of high powered business types were not happy.

I WAS impressed. They had a spare satellite in orbit but it took a day
or two to move it into the right position to replaced the failed bird.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2013 9:20 PM, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

AWS? What dat?

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services.
They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on Christmas
Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' on
Netflix streaming ****ed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all
have had outages. **** happens. Sometimes the effects are more far reaching
than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

A few weeks ago, someone at work needed to download some files from a
customer that had them stored on icloud or some Apple file sharing
something or other, and the firewall was blocking it so I had to figure
out how to unblock it.

Unblocking all of the Apple applications traffic was not doing it so I
had to do a packet capture to see what else was involved. After it
touched almost 2 dozen different services, it appears that Apple was
leasing AWS space for icloud because once I opened up traffic for AWS
apps in the firewall, they could access and download the files.

Almost 2 dozen different services/IPs is what the packet capture showed!
ISPs, marketing and ad servers, cloud storage providers, download
managers, etc. all had this traffic pass thru. That shows there really
is no privacy in the cloud.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Winston_Smith writes:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:15:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2013 12:10 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

1. Xp is still supported and will be for at least another year.
2. You didnt install Agent, even though I sent it and the cheat codes
to enable all its features.
3. You didnt have adequate anti-virus software running
4. You are less than intelligent.

Thanks, Gunner. It's nice to know.

Stormin' the top poster, likes to blow off people that don't buy into
his help me, I'm a victim act. Don't ever criticize him or he will
kill file you and then call you unreliable and foulmouthed every
chance he gets.

As far as #4 he seems to be fully aware of that issue since he's
mentioned it himself a few times. Good for him.

His whole post is a comedy of errors.

XP is not out of support and probably won't be for many years to come.
MSFT will keep changing the end date.

Downloading a service pack from a non-MSFT site is truly insane.
What would you expect to get, but a load of viruses?

I sincerely doubt any virus actually damaged a drive so bad it could
not be formatted. Technically possible but really unlikely. The virus
would have to mess with the firmware.

Poor guy. He's got to lay off the LSD, it's turning what remains of his
brain to mush.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Saturday July 27, 2013
Last week, one of my computer programs wasn't working right. Short form,
is that I find out MS doesn't support XP anymore, and I can't get the
computer working the way it used to. The way I liked. This new
Thunderbird isn't very easy to use, at least compared to OE. I tried
downloading a service pack from a non MS website, and got some kind of
malware, that really made a mess of my drive, and my slave drive. Ended
up buying a new drive, and I'm in the process of reformatting the drive
I'd been using. Still can't get Outlook Express to work. Lost a lot of
files, data, and thousands of old emails that were either not backed up,
or can't be read with the new email program.

Just reminding y'all to make CD, DVD, and external drive backups of
anything you consider valuable.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

This is your payback for years of top posting on usenet.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

AWS? What dat?

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services.
They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on Christmas
Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' on
Netflix streaming ****ed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all
have had outages. **** happens. Sometimes the effects are more far reaching
than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

Remember a few years ago, Blackberry lost one of their satellites.
Most of the US was uncovered and I kind of remember Europe having some
sort of problem. Lots of high powered business types were not happy.

I WAS impressed. They had a spare satellite in orbit but it took a day
or two to move it into the right position to replaced the failed bird.

Blackberry does not HAVE satellites. They lost a SERVER.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:39:15 -0400 wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:46:05 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:

Remember a few years ago, Blackberry lost one of their satellites.
Most of the US was uncovered and I kind of remember Europe having some
sort of problem. Lots of high powered business types were not happy.

I WAS impressed. They had a spare satellite in orbit but it took a day
or two to move it into the right position to replaced the failed bird.

Blackberry does not HAVE satellites. They lost a SERVER.

Darn, you are right. I hate it when that happens.

I was confusing the Blackberry problem with the loss of Galaxy 4 in
1968 which shut down pager services among others.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9805/2...ite.explainer/

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2013 7:34 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/13 5:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Saturday July 27, 2013
Last week, one of my computer programs wasn't working right. Short
form,
is that I find out MS doesn't support XP anymore,

Actually, they still do. They'll discontinue support for XP on April
8, 2014.

Or use old technology like real photographs, pencil, paper, and
real books. Seventy five percent of adults prefer real books
according to this: http://tinyurl.com/mtg5wbt

That's a Rasmussen poll. Rasmussen poll participants trend older.
They're less likely to adopt new trends and new technology than, say,
their grandkids. They probably still watch movies on VHS tape and DVDs
while their grandkids are watching them streamed to their phones and
computers.

The move to digital products, including e-books, is huge and is being
driven by demand. Students prefer e-books since they don't have to
actually visit a library to check them out, they can find the
information they're researching very quickly in the book using a
simple search command, and they don't need to lug around heavy
textbooks anymore. Plus, they can be read on most mobile devices.
Basically the same reasons more and more people prefer to buy or rent
digital copies of music and movies instead of buying them in physical
format.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP on it and OE doesn't
work? What's it not doing, should be no problem whatsoever.

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and the old IE won't
do updates or much else on the web.

Had you not formated your old drive you could have easily gotten all your
stuff - including the emails - off of it. Too late now, gone
forever...unless you are willing to spend Big Bucks with a data recovery
service.

CY: No got big bucks. No got recovery programs.

For those emails which you still have and which Thunderbird can't read,
Thunderbird can certainly read them if they are in the form of discrete
files (*.eml); i.e., not all jammed into a MS dbx file.

CY: I did save the dbx files from OE. But,t hat's not much help?

If they are, TB
can import them if both it and OE are on the same computer; if not, there
are third party programs that will extract them from the *dbx and save them
as *.eml which can then be imported or read by TB.

CY: Oops.

Personally, I dislike TB. I recently bought a laptop with Winn8, tried at
least a dozen email programs trying to find one that would do what OE does
and as easily. I found none. I finally set up a virtual machine, installed
XP on it and am now using OE again.

CY: Lucky you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I may try that later this year, if finances pick up a bit. Good idea,
thank you.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 11:46 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The last 3 computers I bought were off ebay for $ 100 or less including the
shipping. Most were just the desk top unit and they usually come with XP
sp3 on them and a cd with the system. Also loaded with some free wear such
as the dvd burning program and Open Office. The last was a P4 3.2 ghz.
As I don't do games, that is fast enough for what I do.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

My XP had system restore. Sadly, the restore points weren't working.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 11:52 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:01:37 -0700, Winston_Smith

Have you looked into restore points. Even if you haven't created any
yourself, if you have an anti-virus program, it very likely creates
them whenever it's going to mess with the setup.

I don't recall XP ever having a feature to create restore points. That
feature started with Vista.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

You know, that sure makes sense.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 7:43 PM, misanthrope wrote:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-conte.../03/backup.jpg
Never download MS updates from a non-MS site!

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

What's funnier than a top poster with comedic value?

A top poster with a system crash.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/28/2013 11:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Yeah , Stormin' Mormon and I have had our differences . Only reason he
isn't killfiled on this laptop camper comp is his comedic value . Not a
lot of laughs out here in the woods .

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Yeah, and you probably hate me, too?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/29/2013 12:25 AM, Winston_Smith wrote:

Unfortunately, Stormin's standard mode of operation is to make some
half hearted repair attempt instead of asking for help before he
screws it up. THEN he reports failure and gives us sage advice. Along
the way he blames the people that gave him the virus (if it even was
that), MS for not supporting what they do fully support, and probably
the company that makes the free virus checker he apparently didn't
bother having. He blames everybody in sight for his lack of a news
reader while Gunner sent him everything to get set up in style.

Amazingly, he also blames his failure to accomplish a new install of
XP on a new drive on MS lack of support.

He's a victim, nothing is his fault, the world is out to get him.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP
on it and OE doesn't work? What's it not doing, should
be no problem whatsoever.

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and
the old IE won't do updates or much else on the web.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also
installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies
upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may have
problems with IE - that version is old now - on some sites unless you update
Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need to update it too via MS.
There are other browsers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express
won't work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather
don't like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist
I upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/30/2013 7:37 PM, dadiOH wrote:

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and
the old IE won't do updates or much else on the web.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also
installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies
upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may have
problems with IE - that version is old now - on some sites unless you update
Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need to update it too via MS.
There are other browsers.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Quit hanging around with dumb people.

I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.

This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.

Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express won't
work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather don't
like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist I
upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2013 7:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Quit hanging around with dumb people.

I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.

This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.

Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express won't
work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather don't
like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist I
upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is a compatibility mode that can be selected
for running programs. I've never had to use it so I'll have to check it
out. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message news:kt8lbs$7e9$1@dont-

stuff snipped

students prefer e-books since they don't have to
actually visit a library to check them out, they can find the
information they're researching very quickly in the book using a
simple search command, and they don't need to lug around heavy
textbooks anymore.

Part of the benefit of old-fashioned text research is that you invariably
learned a lot just looking for something and skimming over lots of material
to find it. I find that though most people can find what they are looking
for on the net but they're not always good at evaluating the quality of that
material. It used to be people would quote Wikipedia and get dissed, but
Wikipedia looks downright scholarly compared to Yahoo Answers or
Answers.com.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Oops, that is a bit of a surprise. I'll pass the word.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/30/2013 8:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Quit hanging around with dumb people.

I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.

This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.

Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express won't
work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather don't
like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist I
upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:04:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Firefox and IE works better than thunderbird and IE.
If you can't or won't use a REAL newsreader like Agent.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

My XP had system restore. Sadly, the restore points weren't working

The restore point batteries were dead?

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:41:18 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message news:kt8lbs$7e9$1@dont-

stuff snipped

students prefer e-books since they don't have to
actually visit a library to check them out, they can find the
information they're researching very quickly in the book using a
simple search command, and they don't need to lug around heavy
textbooks anymore.

Part of the benefit of old-fashioned text research is that you invariably
learned a lot just looking for something and skimming over lots of material
to find it. I find that though most people can find what they are looking
for on the net but they're not always good at evaluating the quality of that
material. It used to be people would quote Wikipedia and get dissed, but
Wikipedia looks downright scholarly compared to Yahoo Answers or
Answers.com.

The beauty of the internet is there is so much information
available.
The bad part is sorting truth from falsehood is like sorting fly****
from pepper.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:20:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

What's funnier than a top poster with comedic value?

A top poster with a system crash.

Sadly, it hasn't kept you off usenet. Another proof that there is no
god.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:21:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Yeah, and you probably hate me, too?

Says our favorite self-described victim.
Just your asinine behavior, ol' son.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:15:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP on it and OE doesn't
work? What's it not doing, should be no problem whatsoever.

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and the old IE won't
do updates or much else on the web.

I don't see how OE and IE are connected.

It's hard to understand why you can't update IE or anything else. You
say it's a new install and it doesn't work. Literally millions upon
millions of people have done a generic install with no problems.

Had you not formated your old drive you could have easily gotten all your
stuff - including the emails - off of it. Too late now, gone
forever...unless you are willing to spend Big Bucks with a data recovery
service.

CY: No got big bucks. No got recovery programs.

I see you ignored some clues I gave you that are free and low cost.

For those emails which you still have and which Thunderbird can't read,
Thunderbird can certainly read them if they are in the form of discrete
files (*.eml); i.e., not all jammed into a MS dbx file.

CY: I did save the dbx files from OE. But,t hat's not much help?

That should do the job. What's the problem? Details would help us.

If they are, TB
can import them if both it and OE are on the same computer; if not, there
are third party programs that will extract them from the *dbx and save them
as *.eml which can then be imported or read by TB.

CY: Oops.

What Oops. Get the converter. Done.

Personally, I dislike TB. I recently bought a laptop with Winn8, tried at
least a dozen email programs trying to find one that would do what OE does
and as easily. I found none. I finally set up a virtual machine, installed
XP on it and am now using OE again.

CY: Lucky you.

Is there something in your religion that says you can't do the same
thing? Or does it take away your victim status?
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.

I have OE6 here on my machine, right now, working with IE8 just fine.
I don't see how IE and OE are related.

Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express
won't work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather
don't like.

Live Mail sucks even more than OE but ADAIK, Live Mail came in with
Vista. Where ARE you getting your information? Upgrading you internet
browser and your email reader are completely separate and in dependant
operations.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist
I upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

Once again. How are they related ????? IE6 will have trouble with
many web sites. It has zero to do with OE as far as I know.

I think XP shipped with IE6. IE7 and IE8 are available as free
upgrades. There never was and IE9 for XP.

In any case, what's wrong with FireFox, Chrome, or Opera. You have
choices coming out the proverbial kazoo.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:28:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

There is such a thing but I've never had to use it even with some
pretty ancient DOS and Win 3.1 stuff running under XP.

Like the poster above you, I'm running XP-SP3, OE6, Outlook2003, and
IE8 just fine. FireFox works fine with that combo as does Forte Agent
in both usenet and email functions.

This is not rocket science.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:18:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/28/2013 7:43 PM, misanthrope wrote:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-conte.../03/backup.jpg
Never download MS updates from a non-MS site!

You know, that sure makes sense.

So why did you do it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

You bought a new drive and - presumably - installed XP
on it and OE doesn't work? What's it not doing, should
be no problem whatsoever.

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and
the old IE won't do updates or much else on the web.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also
installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no
dependencies upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of
it. You may have problems with IE - that version is old now - on some
sites unless you update Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need
to update it too via MS. There are other browsers.

OE was built into IE as I recall. I think IE8 (2009) was the last version
that had it which is what I use now.

Tomsic
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Friend of mine is a computer school graduate, took a course. Says that
Outlook Express will work up to Internet Explorer 6, but not newer.
Aparently, if I upgrade to IE7 or the new IE8, then Outlook Express
won't work any more. Wants to go to Windows Live Mail, which I rather
don't like.

Most of the web sites out there balk at Internet Exploder 6, and insist
I upgrade. I upgrade, and OUtlook Express stops working.

Why bother using either? They both suck. Hotmail and Gmail cover 99%
of everything you need to do..and Firefox or Chrome..or even Opera
work nicely for those. If your internet account comes with an email
account.....simply download Pegasus Email for free

Hell..Gmail can be set up to check your regular ISP email account..so
you dont even need to log into it..simply use Gmail. So can Pegasus
Email IRRC. Ive used it for years on the kids and grandkids computers.

http://www.pmail.com/

Doing newsgroups..I already sent you a good copy of Forte Agent which
you acknowledged receiving. Using lame software known to be problem
children for years...shrug...you really should know better than that.

Its not rocket science Norman...you simply have to do stuff properly.
Like checking to see what voltage that blower motor is. Is it 110vt or
220? Simply stuff. No brainer stuff.

Ive got a puter thats been up for 7 yrs, 24/7. Windows XP too.
Im waiting for the drive to fail one of these days...so I keep regular
automatic backups with a external USB drive. $50 brand new at the
MicroCenter. When it goes..Im not going to fix it..Ill replace it
with a P4 Ive got sitting on a self as a hot spare.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 7/30/2013 7:37 PM, dadiOH wrote:

CY: The OE won't work on the old internet explorer, and
the old IE won't do updates or much else on the web.

What's with the "old"? If you installed XP on the new drive, you also
installed IE and OE. OE will work just fine; AFAIK, it has no dependencies
upon IE but even if it did, you have a pristine install of it. You may have
problems with IE - that version is old now - on some sites unless you update
Java and Flash and maybe even then; you might need to update it too via MS.
There are other browsers.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:20:04 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Quit hanging around with dumb people.

I am running IE8 and Outlook Express 6 righ now on the same computer.

This is with windows XP Professional and sp3.

Tell friend to ask school for his money back.

My son paid for a "computer technicians" course in Utah. They ripped
him off badly. Seriously badly. And the poor ******* thought they
were teaching him something worth money.

OT PC Backup Wesley[_2_] UK diy 46 April 8th 12 04:57 PM
OT; PC Backup The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 38 April 7th 10 03:03 AM
Backup Generators 101? Lee Home Repair 57 January 26th 10 02:31 AM
Sewar backup? Laurie Home Repair 2 February 19th 08 03:37 AM
CH programmer backup Tom B[_3_] UK diy 13 October 18th 07 11:20 PM