Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
misanthrope misanthrope is offline

Default Backup, backup!

On 7/28/2013 9:20 PM, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

AWS? What dat?

Dat be the cloud esse. What rock you be living under? Amazon Web Services.
They're not the only provider, but they are big. They went down on Christmas
Eve last year, leaving all those people watching 'It's A Wonderful Life' on
Netflix streaming ****ed off. Windows Azure, Rackspace, and so forth all
have had outages. **** happens. Sometimes the effects are more far reaching
than not being able to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'

A few weeks ago, someone at work needed to download some files from a
customer that had them stored on icloud or some Apple file sharing
something or other, and the firewall was blocking it so I had to figure
out how to unblock it.

Unblocking all of the Apple applications traffic was not doing it so I
had to do a packet capture to see what else was involved. After it
touched almost 2 dozen different services, it appears that Apple was
leasing AWS space for icloud because once I opened up traffic for AWS
apps in the firewall, they could access and download the files.

Almost 2 dozen different services/IPs is what the packet capture showed!
ISPs, marketing and ad servers, cloud storage providers, download
managers, etc. all had this traffic pass thru. That shows there really
is no privacy in the cloud.