Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT PC Backup

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises at
the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the OS. I'm
using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises at
the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the OS.
I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to copy
your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This creates an exact
copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to a backup and then onto
a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny
noises at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc
including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more unreliable,
frankly.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to copy
your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This creates an
exact copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to a backup and
then onto a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 15:43:17 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

"Wesley" wrote in message
news:FL6dnTF1V9yM1x3SnZ2dnUVZ8o6dnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises
at
the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the OS.
I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to copy
your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This creates an
exact
copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to a backup and then
onto
a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

If you buy a 1 or 2 terabyte Samsung USB external hard drive it
includes back up software.
--

Martin

Cheers guys :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...e-Black-Slim-E....

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to copy
your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This creates an
exact
copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to a backup and then
onto
a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

If you buy a 1 or 2 terabyte Samsung USB external hard drive it
includes back up software.
--

Martin

Cheers guys *:-)

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

One thing I did to save time was to copy the apps in /program files en
masse, and just copy them straight back into windows. Its surprising
how many work fine this way - some will still need reinstalling the
windows way.

The way to backup your data is simply to add the 2nd drive, control a
c in one pane, control v in the other. Job done, software pointless.
Yes you can restore bookmarks, but I find its not usually worth it, I
just redo the ones I want.

Switching to linux makes this process easier, this distro is a dream
to install compared to win.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 16:18, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 15:43:17 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises at
the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the OS.
I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to copy
your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This creates an exact
copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to a backup and then onto
a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

If you buy a 1 or 2 terabyte Samsung USB external hard drive it
includes back up software.

Failing that, download maxblast from the seagate web site - basically a
cut down version of Acronis true image. It will image a system to either
another drive, or a file on a network etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny
noises at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc
including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more unreliable,
frankly.

If you don't know, why not say so?

Ok then, no you cant use something like that to back up windows because
in my EXPERIENCE - not opinion - what actually will die on you
irrecoverably is the stupid storage device you used for backup.

Or rather its fine for backing up, but restoring is another matter.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny
noises at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc
including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more
unreliable, frankly.

If you don't know, why not say so?

Ok then, no you cant use something like that to back up windows because
in my EXPERIENCE - not opinion - what actually will die on you
irrecoverably is the stupid storage device you used for backup.

However for the purposes of this exercise - i.e. preserving an image of
a working system until a new drive can be procured, its perfectly adequate.

(having said that, if you need to order the external drive, you may as
well get the replacement drive at the same time, and then clone the
system twice - once onto the new drive, then onto the external).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mentalguy2k8 wrote
Wesley wrote

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises at the moment and I would like to back up the
hard disc including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

It doesnt need to hold everything, you can backup only the
stuff that cant be reinstalled if you do see a hard drive die.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to
copy your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This
creates an exact copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to
a backup and then onto a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

But you can just replace the hard drive if it does die, and reinstall the
OS and apps and restore what you have saved to the external drive.

The 'funny noises' might just be a dying fan etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny
noises at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc
including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more
unreliable, frankly.

If you don't know, why not say so?

Ok then, no you cant use something like that to back up windows because
in my EXPERIENCE - not opinion - what actually will die on you
irrecoverably is the stupid storage device you used for backup.

However for the purposes of this exercise - i.e. preserving an image of
a working system until a new drive can be procured, its perfectly adequate.
?

?what? why not install onto the new drive and simply mount the other
drive and copy what you want from it?

(having said that, if you need to order the external drive, you may as
well get the replacement drive at the same time, and then clone the
system twice - once onto the new drive, then onto the external).

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, NT
writes

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows install and again
after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the
reinstall.

I only do backups of data (inc the mail databases).

One thing I did to save time was to copy the apps in /program files en
masse, and just copy them straight back into windows. Its surprising
how many work fine this way - some will still need reinstalling the
windows way.

Hmmn, not sure on that one.

The way to backup your data is simply to add the 2nd drive, control a
c in one pane, control v in the other. Job done, software pointless.

It is nice to automate the backup even if you do run it manually. I
wouldn't back up unless it was to an external drive, there are too many
things to go wrong with a drive in the same box. A usb-network adapter
is a nice way of keeping a usb drive nicely separated from the main box.

Switching to linux makes this process easier, this distro is a dream
to install compared to win.

Windows has the apps.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote
Wesley wrote
Martin wrote
Mentalguy2k8 wrote
Wesley wrote

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making
funny noises at the moment and I would like to back up the
hard disc including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...e-Black-Slim-E...

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want
to copy your OS onto another drive to use as you were before.
This creates an exact copy, if you just drag and drop the files from
C: to a backup and then onto a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

If you buy a 1 or 2 terabyte Samsung USB external hard drive it
includes back up software.

Cheers guys :-)

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows.

More fool you.

If you need to reinstall it, do it the windows way.

No thanks.

Yes its slower, but youre asking for trouble otherwise,

Nope.

IME its just not worth cloning.

IME it works fine even with moving to a completely new system.

The most you might have to do is a repair install if the new
machine is completely different chipset wise to the old one.

One thing I did to save time was to copy the apps in /program
files en masse, and just copy them straight back into windows.
Its surprising how many work fine this way

Cloning leaves that for dead.

And if it doesnt, the files and systems transfer wizard
works a lot better than copying the apps files en masse.

- some will still need reinstalling the windows way.

And wont if you clone the original drive.

The way to backup your data is simply to add the 2nd drive, control
a c in one pane, control v in the other. Job done, software pointless.

Not if you want a bootable clone that you can just reclone
back to the replacement drive if the original does die.

Yes you can restore bookmarks, but I find its
not usually worth it, I just redo the ones I want.

I have thousands, dont want redo those manually thanks.

Switching to linux makes this process easier,

Nope.

this distro is a dream to install compared to win.

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

[...]

Only two I couldn't do without, and they nestle nicely on a windows
virtual machine. That gets backed up in its entirety every night as its
'just another linux file system' when all is said and done.

Unless you play windows real time games, there is no reason to keep a
windows bare installation if you don't want to.

...and so many reasons not to.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny
noises at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc
including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more
unreliable, frankly.

If you don't know, why not say so?

Ok then, no you cant use something like that to back up windows
because in my EXPERIENCE - not opinion - what actually will die on you
irrecoverably is the stupid storage device you used for backup.

Or rather its fine for backing up, but restoring is another matter.

You cant manage something as simple as that ?

Your problem, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Lot more farting around than with cloning.

And you dont even know that the original drive does need replacing,
it could just as easily be a fan bearing failing and he wont actually
need a new drive at all, just a decent backup in case it does ever die.

(having said that, if you need to order the external drive, you may
as well get the replacement drive at the same time, and then clone
the system twice - once onto the new drive, then onto the external).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 9:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows install and again
after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the
reinstall.

I did that at one time. But didnt use the images in practice. Usually
things dont go that wrong, and if they do I tended to want a different
setup anyway. With xp and on if you upgrade hardware at the same time,
it wont work anyway. So it all gets a bit pointless.

[...]

I've only found one job linux apps didnt do as welll as I wanted, so
one app runs on wine. No problem.

Only two I couldn't do without, and they nestle nicely on a windows
virtual machine. That gets backed up in its entirety every night as its
'just another linux file system' when *all is said and done.

Unless you play windows real time games, there is no reason to keep a
windows bare installation if you don't want to.

..and so many reasons not to.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises
at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the
OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more unreliable,
frankly.

I find imaging to a USB drive is useful for me. If it goes tits-up, rather
than finding out why, I just recover the image and I have the machine back
up in ~10mins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
fred wrote
NT wrote

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need
to reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre
asking for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows
install and again after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the reinstall.

I did that at one time. But didnt use the images in practice.

I have at some times, and most recently when checking if what looked like
might be a quirk with the 64bit version went away with the 32 bit version.

They didnt.

Usually things dont go that wrong, and if they do I tended to want a different setup anyway.

You dont necessarily want to bother with a complete reinstall from scratch tho.

With xp and on if you upgrade hardware at the same time, it wont work anyway.

Thats just plain wrong. They most you ever have to do is a repair install as well,
and that much quicker than doing a full manual reinstall of the OS and all the apps.

So it all gets a bit pointless.

Not if you know what you are doing.

I normally use a clone even when moving to a completely new machine.

Saves a hell of a lot of farting around reconfiguring everything again.

[...]

Doesnt work for what I want to do for the PVR.

And doesnt work with a lot of stuff done from Access either.

Even stuff as basic as putting a reminder into what you use for
reminders from the hardware database with a warning that the
warranty is about to expire on some of the hardware etc.

Only two I couldn't do without, and they nestle nicely on a windows
virtual machine. That gets backed up in its entirety every night as
its 'just another linux file system' when all is said and done.

Unless you play windows real time games, there is no reason
to keep a windows bare installation if you don't want to.

..and so many reasons not to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

[...]

I am aware of your prejudices and have no wish to debate them with you,
thank you.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, NT
writes
On Apr 7, 9:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
fred wrote:
In article
,

NT
writes

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows install and again
after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the
reinstall.

I did that at one time. But didnt use the images in practice. Usually
things dont go that wrong, and if they do I tended to want a different
setup anyway. With xp and on if you upgrade hardware at the same time,
it wont work anyway. So it all gets a bit pointless.

Useful in the case of a system drive doing bad, it means a system can be
back up and running in short order. The OS & apps image fits on a DVD so
it's easy to have one in a drawer just in case.

It's nice to keep a copy if it's taken a while to get the best driver
combo together, particularly on say a fussy laptop.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m, brass
monkey writes

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises
at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the
OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...le-Black-Slim-

External-Mobile-USB2.0-Hard-Disk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more unreliable,
frankly.

I find imaging to a USB drive is useful for me. If it goes tits-up, rather
than finding out why, I just recover the image and I have the machine back
up in ~10mins.

If you mean taking regular images, I think that's ok unless the system
drive is going bad and you restore an image with some corrupt files in
the system or the apps that result in instability in the restored
system.

You're also restoring the bloat that inevitably accumulates in a windows
system that people are playing with and installing bits & pieces on.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 17:45, NT wrote:
On Apr 7, 4:29 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 15:43:17 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Can't quite work out what difference the OS in use makes as to whether a
system is worth backing up or not?

Its your data, application configuration, and installation set that matter.

One thing I did to save time was to copy the apps in /program files en
masse, and just copy them straight back into windows. Its surprising
how many work fine this way - some will still need reinstalling the
windows way.

Makes more sense if you also backup the HKLM/Software hive of the
registry as well. However even that will still miss important stuff.

The way to backup your data is simply to add the 2nd drive, control a
c in one pane, control v in the other. Job done, software pointless.

Its not a good backup strategy, since if you overwrite the the target
you destroy your previous backup in the process and also lose any
ability to go back to a previous version of a file. If you use a
different target directory then it rather profligate with space since
there is none of the de-duping that proper incremental would do.

Yes you can restore bookmarks, but I find its not usually worth it, I
just redo the ones I want.

Switching to linux makes this process easier, this distro is a dream
to install compared to win.

Which would suggest there is less point backing up that OS than windows
if you follow that argument through.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article m, brass
monkey writes

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

O yes, definitely need to keep track of the images. I always keep the
original image, (the one which is about 500 updates behind)
I prolly make an image (3 copies) maybe 6 monthly. Any probs and I can
always use the original.
I keep all data (bookmarks, OE store, docs & settings, nbpro store etc) on
D: and image that also.
I double backup the NAS to USB drives using ViceVersa.
It's all crazy cos if I lost the lot I doubt I could list what it all was

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Which is what I just said - with the added step of a second copy onto an
external so that if you get an early life failure on the new drive, you
can still get back to your current position.

(having said that, if you need to order the external drive, you may as
well get the replacement drive at the same time, and then clone the
system twice - once onto the new drive, then onto the external).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 22:36, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 09:45:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 7, 4:29 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 15:43:17 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Unless you have boards/peripherals which aren't supported.
Installing Win7 is straight forward.

But very sloooow... that's before you apply all the monthly patches, and
reinstall apps. Bit of a mugs game when recovering from an image is so
much faster and easier.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om, brass
monkey writes

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article m, brass
monkey writes

[...]

Btw, how is that OCD therapy going ;-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article om, brass
monkey writes

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article m, brass
monkey writes

[...]

Hey, I cracked that years back and am perfectly normal now.
and am perfectly normal now
and am perfectly normal now
and am perfectly normal now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 3:07*pm, "Wesley" wrote:
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. *Its making funny noises at
the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the OS. *I'm
using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...e-Black-Slim-E...

If it is making funny noises it is on the blink even if it is just a
fan doing the jokes. It's gttin old. It could still last ten or twenty
years though. The cartel making desktops wants you to buy one every
two or three years.

That may work fine with a business that can get the money back from
tax expenses. But it is totally silly to think like that for home use.
Talking of acting silly:

Some people on here are idiots and some are irresponsible,
argumentative trolls. But some are very well clued up computer
experts.

Just take a look at what Google has to show about whoever you are
taking advice from. And don't pay any attention to negative replies
unless they are fully backed up with reasonable explanations and
insightful alternative tips.

Meanwhile; you don't say what you want to back up.

A 320 GB drive holds a hell of a lot of data. If you want to store a
lot of graphics you should already have it on a second place online
somewhere like Opera Community. (I suggest that one because its the
only one I am familiar with, you can send them 100 images at a time
with a good connection.)

They have their own compression algorithms to help out with bandwidth
problems designed for mobile phone use. And Opera Unity allows great
access anywhere any time. Others may know better places.

But get that drive now. At £38 it's an hundred quid cheaper than the
other stuff recommended on here so far.

I would consider buying a second hand box from a recycle firm such as
TERC. (Which I use as it's local to me and very cheap.) Ask them to
put a Linux OS on it for you. They may do so for nothing.

Text can be stored very nicely as a zip file set. How much space do
you need? Convert all the important stuff to zip files this weekend
and they will transfer very quickly for you. Linux will open Microsoft
stuff but you may have a problem opening Linux stuff with Windows.
(Though things have improved a lot over the last decade.)

And finally you can find out if it is a fan that is duff by unplugging
it. Don't run the box for long or you will cook the CPU. But you
should have two fans anyway.
If you don't; then DO, asap.
They cost pennies and can be fitter in minutes.

The chances are that the fan isn't even duff if it is just making a
noise. It might just need cleaning, one of my boxes has a fan that
needed the centre pushed in or out (can't remember which) to reseat it
on the bearing and it is running fine now (either that, or I have
become deaf to it.)

Clean the insides with a hoover and a soft brush. You can take the
heat sink off the chip if you want to, to get it done and dusted. But
you need some heat conducting grease for the interface when you put it
back.

A little syringe of that stuff lasts a hell of a long time if you only
clean your one case when things start squeaking. Don't go daft with
it, you are just making close contact with two polished metal faces.
A good pimple full is all you need.

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:07:18 +0100, Wesley wrote:

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises
at the moment

Does it make the funny noises right from when you first switch on? If so,
switch off, open the case, unplug the hard disk's power connector, and
switch on. If the noise is still there, it's not your hard disk...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote
Wesley wrote

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making
funny noises at the moment and I would like to back up the
hard disc including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...e-Black-Slim-E...

If it is making funny noises it is on the blink even if it is just a fan doing the jokes.

Bit if its a fan, and it hasnt stopped, you can safely ignore
it until its convenient to change it or to oil the bearing.

It's gttin old. It could still last ten or twenty years though.

Yep, even if its the hard drive bearing. One of mine did.

The cartel making desktops

There is no cartel.

wants you to buy one every two or three years.

Doesnt matter what they want.

[...]

It can make more sense to just backup everything to the
external drive as quickly as possible in case it is the drive dying
when you dont have any backups as presumably he doesnt.

Text can be stored very nicely as a zip file set. How much space do
you need? Convert all the important stuff to zip files this weekend
and they will transfer very quickly for you. Linux will open Microsoft
stuff but you may have a problem opening Linux stuff with Windows.
(Though things have improved a lot over the last decade.)

The trouble with any manual system like that instead of just cloning
the system to an external drive is that its easy for someone like that
that has to ask if it will do the job to not realise what does need to be
backed up until its too late and they discover that while they thought
that they had backed up what mattered, they hadnt in fact done that
when the drive does die.

The big advantage with a clone is that you can check that it looks
the same as the original and have reasonable confidence that its
all been backed up.

And finally you can find out if it is a fan that is duff by unplugging it.

Not a good idea with the cpu fan.

Don't run the box for long or you will cook the CPU.
But you should have two fans anyway.
If you don't; then DO, asap.
They cost pennies and can be fitter in minutes.

Not always by someone who has to ask if thats a viable way to backup.

The chances are that the fan isn't even duff if it is just making a
noise. It might just need cleaning, one of my boxes has a fan that
needed the centre pushed in or out (can't remember which) to reseat it
on the bearing and it is running fine now (either that, or I have
become deaf to it.)

Clean the insides with a hoover and a soft brush.

Thats a bit dangerous with someone like that too.

You can take the heat sink off the chip if you want to, to get it done and dusted.

And that in spades.

But you need some heat conducting grease for the interface when you put it back.

A little syringe of that stuff lasts a hell of a long time if you only
clean your one case when things start squeaking. Don't go daft with
it, you are just making close contact with two polished metal faces.
A good pimple full is all you need.

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 01:13, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:07:18 +0100, Wesley wrote:

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises
at the moment

Does it make the funny noises right from when you first switch on? If so,
switch off, open the case, unplug the hard disk's power connector, and
switch on. If the noise is still there, it's not your hard disk...

Typical noises from a hard drive that indication imminent failure
include things like repeated head seeks and recalibration cycles at
power up - its quite a distinctive sound and once you have heard it, its
easy to spot! (often a tic-te-tic, tic-te-tic, tic-te-tic, tic-te-tic
type of sound, repeating every second or so)

(loud whines, noticeable vibration etc can also indicate bearing problems)

Normally the drives firmware will repeat the cycle a few times before
giving up. Assuming it eventually manages to initialise itself and get
running after a few attempts, then take note that it may be you last
warning! Image the thing now if its not already backed up. (and by "now"
I really do mean now, it might run for years, or it may never
successfully power up again - if you are really unlucky, it might spin
down and go tits up while running in 20 mins time!)

It happened to me a couple of weeks back - an 18GB LVD SCSI drive had
trouble initialising from cold, but eventually managed after being left
running for 10 mins or so to warm up[1]. It held a boot partition and a
couple of others, but for historical reasons, not the main OS partition,
and hence it did not actuarially have much of value on it. So I imaged
it to a file on the NAS, and forgot about it for a few days until I had
chance to do something with it. Later swapped in a new drive, and
restored the image.

[1] Things to try if a drive fails to initialise:

If it fails to initialise and the system reports the drive is not ready,
or it is not detected by the BIOS during boot, try from a cold boot -
after a period of a couple of hours to allow it to get properly cool. If
that fails, leave it spinning a while and try after say 15 mins, and
then an hour. If it still fails, then let it cool, and then chill it.
You can try wrapping it up in a ziplock bag and sticking it in the
freezer for 15 mins! Take it out, wrap in a dry cloth (to stop warm air
condensing moisture all over it), and then reconnect and see what happens.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

[...]

Then why respond with 'windows has the apps' ?

Oh you only want to debate with someone when you can win.
And when you say something it's a fact and one someone else says
something its 'their prejudices'

I cam easily see why a man you like could consider himself infallible.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 10:25*pm, fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

On Apr 7, 9:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
fred wrote:
In article
,

NT
writes

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows install and again
after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the
reinstall.

I did that at one time. But didnt use the images in practice. Usually
things dont go that wrong, and if they do I tended to want a different
setup anyway. With xp and on if you upgrade hardware at the same time,
it wont work anyway. So it all gets a bit pointless.

Useful in the case of a system drive doing bad, it means a system can be
back up and running in short order. The OS & apps image fits on a DVD so
it's easy to have one in a drawer just in case.

Thats mainly why I did at one time clone. But it was never used in
practice, there are too many ifs & buts.

It's nice to keep a copy if it's taken a while to get the best driver
combo together, particularly on say a fussy laptop.

Shouldnt be hard to reinstall them from a backup. You do of course
have info saved on what drivers work on what machine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

*wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

Sure. PCI cards are handy for that, or just pass the machine on to
someone else that wants windows.

Installing Win7 is straight forward.

But very sloooow... that's before you apply all the monthly patches, and
reinstall apps. Bit of a mugs game when recovering from an image is so
much faster and easier.

Linux is /so/ much easier. It makes cloning pointless.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote
fred wrote
NT wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
fred wrote:
NT writes

[...]

I have used clones repeatedly, mainly when doing a complex reinstall
where I need to keep going back to the original install thats got too
screwed up to be viable, as I keep checking on the apps configs
so I can manually get the settings back to the way they once were.

Works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Apr 7, 4:29 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 15:43:17 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Linux is /so/ much easier.

Not when it doesnt support the card you are using for a PVR it isnt.

It makes cloning pointless.

Not always.

Refrigerator Backup [email protected] Home Repair 38 August 27th 11 07:43 PM
OT; PC Backup The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 38 April 7th 10 03:03 AM
Backup Generators 101? Lee Home Repair 57 January 26th 10 02:31 AM
Sewar backup? Laurie Home Repair 2 February 19th 08 03:37 AM
CH programmer backup Tom B[_3_] UK diy 13 October 18th 07 11:20 PM