Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default OT PC Backup

On Apr 7, 3:07*pm, "Wesley" wrote:
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. *Its making funny noises at
the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc including the OS. *I'm
using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...e-Black-Slim-E...

If it is making funny noises it is on the blink even if it is just a
fan doing the jokes. It's gttin old. It could still last ten or twenty
years though. The cartel making desktops wants you to buy one every
two or three years.

That may work fine with a business that can get the money back from
tax expenses. But it is totally silly to think like that for home use.
Talking of acting silly:

Some people on here are idiots and some are irresponsible,
argumentative trolls. But some are very well clued up computer
experts.

Just take a look at what Google has to show about whoever you are
taking advice from. And don't pay any attention to negative replies
unless they are fully backed up with reasonable explanations and
insightful alternative tips.

Meanwhile; you don't say what you want to back up.

A 320 GB drive holds a hell of a lot of data. If you want to store a
lot of graphics you should already have it on a second place online
somewhere like Opera Community. (I suggest that one because its the
only one I am familiar with, you can send them 100 images at a time
with a good connection.)

They have their own compression algorithms to help out with bandwidth
problems designed for mobile phone use. And Opera Unity allows great
access anywhere any time. Others may know better places.

But get that drive now. At £38 it's an hundred quid cheaper than the
other stuff recommended on here so far.

I would consider buying a second hand box from a recycle firm such as
TERC. (Which I use as it's local to me and very cheap.) Ask them to
put a Linux OS on it for you. They may do so for nothing.

Text can be stored very nicely as a zip file set. How much space do
you need? Convert all the important stuff to zip files this weekend
and they will transfer very quickly for you. Linux will open Microsoft
stuff but you may have a problem opening Linux stuff with Windows.
(Though things have improved a lot over the last decade.)

And finally you can find out if it is a fan that is duff by unplugging
it. Don't run the box for long or you will cook the CPU. But you
should have two fans anyway.
If you don't; then DO, asap.
They cost pennies and can be fitter in minutes.

The chances are that the fan isn't even duff if it is just making a
noise. It might just need cleaning, one of my boxes has a fan that
needed the centre pushed in or out (can't remember which) to reseat it
on the bearing and it is running fine now (either that, or I have
become deaf to it.)

Clean the insides with a hoover and a soft brush. You can take the
heat sink off the chip if you want to, to get it done and dusted. But
you need some heat conducting grease for the interface when you put it
back.

A little syringe of that stuff lasts a hell of a long time if you only
clean your one case when things start squeaking. Don't go daft with
it, you are just making close contact with two polished metal faces.
A good pimple full is all you need.

Good luck.