Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT PC Backup

Mentalguy2k8 wrote
Wesley wrote

Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny noises at the moment and I would like to back up the
hard disc including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

It doesnt need to hold everything, you can backup only the
stuff that cant be reinstalled if you do see a hard drive die.

Just remember that you need to "clone" your C: drive if you want to
copy your OS onto another drive to use as you were before. This
creates an exact copy, if you just drag and drop the files from C: to
a backup and then onto a new C: , it won't boot or work properly.

But you can just replace the hard drive if it does die, and reinstall the
OS and apps and restore what you have saved to the external drive.

The 'funny noises' might just be a dying fan etc.