Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Backup Generators 101?

A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I
always thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast
forward - I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no
gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know
there are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to
worry about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the
outages have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but
I'm a little concerned about more occurring in the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:

A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I
always thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast
forward - I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no
gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know
there are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to
worry about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the
outages have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but
I'm a little concerned about more occurring in the winter.

I don't know about oil, but a propane fueled generator could work for you.
http://www.generac.com/Products/Information/FAQ.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:

A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I
always thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast
forward - I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no
gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know
there are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to
worry about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the
outages have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but
I'm a little concerned about more occurring in the winter.

A diesel generator will run off your #2 heating oil just fine. #2
heating oil and #2 diesel fuel are essentially the same other than
transportation fuel taxes. #2 heating oil is also known as "off road
diesel" and is commonly used in off road construction and logging
equipment that is exempt from transportation fuel taxes.

With your 275-300 gal fuel tank, you will have several days of fuel
supply for both heating and generator, just remember to call for an
extra delivery to top off after a long generator run.

The major suppliers all have small diesel standby generator packages,
they just don't promote them like the little NG units they sale in Depot
and Lowe's. Find your local Generac/Guardian, Onan or Kohler dealer and
have them quote you on a suitably sized (10-15KW typically) diesel
standby package.

The diesel units will cost noticeably more than the cheap NG units in
the stores, but they also have a lot longer service life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message

A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I always
thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast forward -
I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know there
are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to worry
about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the outages
have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but I'm a
little concerned about more occurring in the winter.

It won't be as cheap as a NG/LP generator, but a diesel generator will run
fine on heating oil, runs at half the RPM's of a gas generator, and will
last much longer

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message
A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I always
thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast forward -
I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know there
are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to worry
about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the outages
have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but I'm a
little concerned about more occurring in the winter.

It won't be as cheap as a NG/LP generator, but a diesel generator will run
fine on heating oil, runs at half the RPM's of a gas generator, and will
last much longer

Well, it'll run fine on #1 fuel oil; not other numbers. #1 is actually
kerosene but with a little less filtering since it's not used in
automtives. You might have to clean the filter a little more often with
#1, gut it's an easy job.
If you heat with #2 fuel oil, do NOT use that unless the genset is
specifically designed FOR #2 fuel oil.

HTH

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
and is exempt from transportation fuel taxes. #2 fuel oil is also known
as "off road diesel" as it is commonly used in construction and logging
equipment that doesn't operate on the public roads and is exempt from
the transportation fuel taxes.

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
and is exempt from transportation fuel taxes. #2 fuel oil is also known
as "off road diesel" as it is commonly used in construction and logging
equipment that doesn't operate on the public roads and is exempt from
the transportation fuel taxes.

Sorry, I checked, part of that is myth. You really need to check your oil
supplier, apparently in areas that have a lot of oil heat, heating oil is a
cheap low grade oil that they supply, as it doesn't take much to burn in a
furnace. Diesel fuel is more refined and has a specific cetane rating,
similar to gasoline's octane rating, so your engine will last longer and not
have ring/cylinder damage. The reason you need to check your fuel supplier
is because some areas actually use diesel fuel for heating oil, some areas
don't. I found this all out when I bought a diesel generator and checked
with several major oil companies.

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
[...]

Wow, this is all so foreign to me. I'd only ever had natural gas before
(turn on the stove and it was there... didn't have to worry about
deliveries or grades etc. I have no idea what number oil is in my
tank!). What I liked about my friend's generator was that it just kicked
in automatically, and she didn't have to do anything when the
electricity went off. Would an oil one work the same?

#1, gut it's an easy job.
If you heat with #2 fuel oil, do NOT use that unless the genset is
specifically designed FOR #2 fuel oil.

HTH

Nonsense, any diesel will run just fine on #2 fuel oil.
As just one example: I've personally watched a lyster engine
run on vegetable oil, fuel oil mixed with motor oil, and even
cooking grease thinned out a bit (quite a bit) with kerosene.
Eric

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
[...]

Your fuel oil is more than likely #2, just fine for a diesel generator.
Figure out your average household load, add 30-50% capacity to that and go buy
a diesel generator with automatic transfer switch, (DO NOT use a suicide
cord) have an electrician install it, get an oil man (contact your fuel oil
supplier) to plumb in the fuel line and filter from the fuel tank.

And Voila - your set.

I would expect a properly sized generator wattage rating for an ordinary house
without electric heat or other big loads to be somewhere between 7500 and
15000 watts continuous. Lights, frig, freezer, furnace, water pump?, sump
pump?, septic pump?, a couple of burners on the stove, TV's etc - add em up,
add a fair amount of margin.
Resist the temptation to buy something small like a 2kw generator it will only
be a pain in the ass. And also resist the temptation to half-ass stuff to
save a few bucks, its not worth it. When its done right and the generator is
sized large enough, power outages are simply a 30 second inconvenience, when
the generator is too small its a PITA all the way through the outage as you
try to manipulate loads and try keep the generator out of overload.
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote:

In all ACTUALITY, home heating oil is generally #1 diesel. While it will
work in an engine, it is a bit thin as a rule and is hard on injectors.

Where exactly is that? I spent some 34 years in the northeast US and
heating oil there is most certainly #2 fuel oil.

#1, gut it's an easy job.
If you heat with #2 fuel oil, do NOT use that unless the genset is
specifically designed FOR #2 fuel oil.

HTH

Nonsense, any diesel will run just fine on #2 fuel oil.
As just one example: I've personally watched a lyster engine
run on vegetable oil, fuel oil mixed with motor oil, and even
cooking grease thinned out a bit (quite a bit) with kerosene.
Eric

Correct, the only real differences come into play in prime power
applications where the engines log a lot of hours. For a residential
standby generator that is likely to log 100 hours per year of run time,
the differences are entirely irrelevant.

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
[...]

You also paid a service charge every month even when you used almost no
gas, and were locked into a single supplier. A backhoe working down the
street could knock out your supply for a day or more. A gas leak can
quite readily blow up your house. For a generator, many times the
service lines and meter need to be upgraded to handle the flow demands
of the generator.

With oil, you have an on-site supply that will last a month or more. You
have a choice of multiple suppliers, and if needed you can go to most
gas stations and fill a can or two of diesel in a pinch to keep the
furnace going without an emergency after hours delivery charge. Oil also
will not blow up your house as gas does regularly. You do have the small
concern of maintaining the tank, which if it's the usual 275-300 gal
tank in the basement isn't a big deal. Underground or outdoor tanks are
more of a concern.

Most suppliers do automatic delivery and rarely ever would you run out
unless you suddenly used a lot more fuel than normal. If you are feeding
a generator from your heating tank, you have to remember to call your
oil supplier for a non scheduled delivery to make up for the fuel you
used so you don't run out since their automatic delivery software can't
account for generator fuel usage, only daily temps and historical usage.
You can also install a second separate tank for the generator if you
want and have the same company fill it.

I have no idea what number oil is in my
tank!).

95% Probability it's #2.

What I liked about my friend's generator was that it just kicked
in automatically, and she didn't have to do anything when the
electricity went off. Would an oil one work the same?

Absolutely. Diesel powered automatic standby generators are the norm for
commercial use. Critical installations like hospitals and data canters
are always diesel since the fuel supply is kept on-site and not subject
to interruption like gas service is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

You also paid a service charge every month even when you used almost
no gas, and were locked into a single supplier. A backhoe working
down the street could knock out your supply for a day or more. A gas
leak can quite readily blow up your house. For a generator, many
times the service lines and meter need to be upgraded to handle the
flow demands of the generator.

Some time back, I bought a duplex. I live on one side and the other is the
company's office. My commute time to work is about twenty seconds. Anyway...

Last year, I married the two gas services by connecting the office side to
the house side (with a valve just in case I ever want to separate them). I
then told the gas company to disconnect the house service. This saved me
$14.80/month which was the minimum charge with no gas being used (I don't
begrudge the gas company the minimum charge, they've got to read the meter
and send out bills).

As a bonus, whatever gas is used on the house side (some heating, hot water,
dryer), is now a business expense (shhh! don't tell anyone).

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
and is exempt from transportation fuel taxes. #2 fuel oil is also known
as "off road diesel" as it is commonly used in construction and logging
equipment that doesn't operate on the public roads and is exempt from
the transportation fuel taxes.

I would at least be wary about putting #2 fuel oil marketed for home
heating into a diesel engine, unless it comes from a source offering it as
"offroad diesel", or unless the engine is rated to take fuel with "cetane
rating" as low as it gets.

Diesel fuel has a "cetane rating", an analogue of the "octane rating" of
gasoline. Home heating oil can be stuff whose cetane rating is too low to
make it saleable as truck fuel.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Don Klipstein wrote:

I would at least be wary about putting #2 fuel oil marketed for home
heating into a diesel engine, unless it comes from a source offering it as
"offroad diesel", or unless the engine is rated to take fuel with "cetane
rating" as low as it gets.

Very sage advice...

Diesel fuel has a "cetane rating", an analogue of the "octane rating" of
gasoline. Home heating oil can be stuff whose cetane rating is too low to
make it saleable as truck fuel.

Not to mention engine diesel has lubricity additives, detergents, and
other additives necessary for long term performance and reliability of
diesel engines.

Even if you don't personally care, beginning this year (unless delayed
which I don't believe it has been) low sulfur is mandated for small
off-road diesel engines as well as "road" diesel. This will be phased
into eventually covering all diesel engines.

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
[...]

Except that #2 home heating oil may be stuff with cetane rating that
makes it hard on diesel engines - similar to gasoline of insufficient
octane rating.

Figure out your average household load, add 30-50% capacity to that and
go buy a diesel generator with automatic transfer switch, (DO NOT use a
suicide cord) have an electrician install it, get an oil man (contact
your fuel oil supplier) to plumb in the fuel line and filter from the
fuel tank.

And Voila - your set.

Provided your oil man can assure you in writing that oil that he sells
of XXX/YYY grade/specifications is suitable for your diesel generator.
It helps if documentation (in writing) from your diesel generator's
manufacturer specifies a minimum cetane rating or states that use of any
home heating grade #2 fuel oil is OK.

Otherwise, do what home heating oil suppliers do when someone runs dry
at 2 AM on a Friday night of a long holiday weekend: Get someone to haul
in two 5-gallon containers of road-grade diesel fuel from the nearest gas
station that sells it.
If this is only emergency fuel, then a couple to few extra bucks for
cetane rating suitable for 18-wheeler and diesel-Mercedes engines, maybe
detergents good for diesel engines, including road fuel taxes, is very
unlikely to break the bank.

SNIP from here

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , S. Barker wrote:
In all ACTUALITY, home heating oil is generally #1 diesel. While it will
work in an engine, it is a bit thin as a rule and is hard on injectors.

Last time I lived in an oil-heated home, the driver of the fuel delivery
truck told me that #1 was kerosene and #2 is one step heavier, and that
most home oil furnaces work fine on both but usually get #2 due to #2
being cheaper.

The usual jet fuel (Jet-A) ia a minor modification of kerosene. I even
sometimes smell a distinct kerosene scent around jet engines that have
been running only a couple minutes - and I have had experience at small
airports barely big enough to accomodate small jet airplanes, where I get
to go around outdoors around aircraft.
Military jet aircraft use slightly different fuels that are minor
modifications of kerosene or kerosene mixes.

I would think that jet fuel usage would bid up the price of #1 compared
to #2.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a diesel generator, they run fine on fuel oil.

Maybe.

Unless the manufacturer says you can, you have to ASSume that you might have
problems.

Oil heat is pretty good (so I have been told) but LPG is GREAT for "spot"
heating including cooking, fireplace inserts (vented or ventless), and
running the water heater.

Having both LPG & oil gives you the advantage of maximizing the use of the
relatively less expensive product for home heat. Fireplace inserts are fun
and can put out a lot of heat in one room. It can make sense to set the
"oil" thermostat on the low side and keep the family room up to 10F warmer
with LPG.

Most oil appliances require electric power. Most LPG aplainces don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message

A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I always
thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast forward -
I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know there
are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to worry
about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the outages
have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but I'm a
little concerned about more occurring in the winter.

Diesel generators are quite expensive; but perhaps that is not an issue for
you.
I have a generator and a transfer switch. I haven't used the switch since
installed it 3 years ago. I don't bother to turn the generator until the
outage is over 4 hours, and that hasn't happened.
A $100 kerosene heater will keep your house warm in the winter. Well,
depending on where you live maybe not warm, but livable.
There are plenty of options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Don Klipstein wrote:

I would at least be wary about putting #2 fuel oil marketed for home
heating into a diesel engine, unless it comes from a source offering it as
"offroad diesel", or unless the engine is rated to take fuel with "cetane
rating" as low as it gets.

Very sage advice...

Paranoid advice...

Diesel fuel has a "cetane rating", an analogue of the "octane rating" of
gasoline. Home heating oil can be stuff whose cetane rating is too low to
make it saleable as truck fuel.

Not to mention engine diesel has lubricity additives, detergents, and
other additives necessary for long term performance and reliability of
diesel engines.

A home standby generator is going to log ~100 hours a year typically.
Factors that affect on road engines that log tens of thousands of hours
don't apply.

Even if you don't personally care, beginning this year (unless delayed
which I don't believe it has been) low sulfur is mandated for small
off-road diesel engines as well as "road" diesel. This will be phased
into eventually covering all diesel engines.

It will also end up in home heating oil tanks as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote:

In all ACTUALITY, home heating oil is generally #1 diesel. While it
will work in an engine, it is a bit thin as a rule and is hard on
injectors.

Where exactly is that? I spent some 34 years in the northeast US and
heating oil there is most certainly #2 fuel oil.

I've lived here all my life in upstate NY.
It's usually #1 fuel oil UNLESS the tank is in a semi-heated area inside
the building (basement, whatever). If the lines are outside, exposed to
the extreme cold, #2 fuel oil will flow slower and plug filters much
faster. In extreme sub-zero temps are are common in the northeast #2
will often have flow problems thru the filters at the tanks and in the
tank screens on the takeup pipes. Also, if the runs are long and along
freezing outside walls all it takes is an insulation opening to allow
the fuel oil to get gummy in the pipe.
There is an incredible amount of misinformation and opinion sans fact
in this thread. It's amazing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:

RBM wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

more often with #1, gut it's an easy job.
If you heat with #2 fuel oil, do NOT use that unless the genset
is specifically designed FOR #2 fuel oil.

HTH

Nonsense, any diesel will run just fine on #2 fuel oil.
As just one example: I've personally watched a lyster engine
run on vegetable oil, fuel oil mixed with motor oil, and even
cooking grease thinned out a bit (quite a bit) with kerosene.
Eric

Wow; I wish YOU luck! I saw the same show you did; but they didn't say
to try it at home.
There's a huge difference between engines that you are obviously
woefully unaware of but your luncay factor keeps you from seeing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:

Twayne wrote:

RBM wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

As is your advice. Only in certain geographical areas could your
comment be near "correct". You know not of which you speak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure they are available. They will need a starting battery, like a car.
Actually probably two batteries, diesels don't want to start very well.
Figure on spending a couple thousand dollars.

The installation will likely take a company with experience. Fuel, and
wiring to be done.

You can have convenient, or you can have inexpensive. But not both. Well, at
least not until it's been installed. For power outs at my adress, I have a
gasoline generator, and a gascan. Less cost, and also less convenient.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. ..

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
and is exempt from transportation fuel taxes. #2 fuel oil is also known
as "off road diesel" as it is commonly used in construction and logging
equipment that doesn't operate on the public roads and is exempt from
the transportation fuel taxes.

That used to be accurate but the low sulfur mandates have changed
things. When they dispense diesel at the terminal they also have to add
extra additives to improve the lubricity. Diesels depended on the sulfur
for that. Now that most of it is gone they need to compensate. So when
they dispense diesel there is an on road version that has the additives
plus the dye and then there is an offroad version with the additives and
no dye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
Well it's always been #1 here in the mid west.

"Pete C." wrote in message
news
"S. Barker" wrote:
In all ACTUALITY, home heating oil is generally #1 diesel. While it will
work in an engine, it is a bit thin as a rule and is hard on injectors.

Where exactly is that? I spent some 34 years in the northeast US and
heating oil there is most certainly #2 fuel oil.

Heating oil is always #2 mainly because it has higher heating content
and more of it is available when the crude is processed. The only time
#1 is used is when the tank and lines are outside and above ground
because paraffin crystals will form in really cold weather and block the
line.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sure they are available. They will need a starting battery, like a car.
Actually probably two batteries, diesels don't want to start very well.
Figure on spending a couple thousand dollars.

The installation will likely take a company with experience. Fuel, and
wiring to be done.

You can have convenient, or you can have inexpensive. But not both. Well, at
least not until it's been installed. For power outs at my adress, I have a
gasoline generator, and a gascan. Less cost, and also less convenient.

Uh, let's just say middle aged female who doesn't even like messing with
pilot lights, let alone pouring gasoline out of a can, LOL. I will check
with my oil company. My brother has a propane powered generator (too far
away for an extension cord, alas), so I knew that propane is an option.
I was mostly wondering if there was a way to reduce the number of tanks
I'd need sitting in the yard. My brother has these monster propane tanks
in his yard.

Oh well, this isn't about to happen anytime soon - at least until I've
sold the other house. I'm just starting my research.

(And fwiw, my oil tank is above ground, right beside the house).

Thanks for all of the information. It's a lot to digest.

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
and is exempt from transportation fuel taxes. #2 fuel oil is also known
as "off road diesel" as it is commonly used in construction and logging
equipment that doesn't operate on the public roads and is exempt from
the transportation fuel taxes.

I would at least be wary about putting #2 fuel oil marketed for home
heating into a diesel engine, unless it comes from a source offering it as
"offroad diesel", or unless the engine is rated to take fuel with "cetane
rating" as low as it gets.

Diesel fuel has a "cetane rating", an analogue of the "octane rating" of
gasoline. Home heating oil can be stuff whose cetane rating is too low to
make it saleable as truck fuel.

- Don Klipstein )

True, and in recent times there is something else to consider. There are
government mandates to lower the sulfur in fuel oils. Diesels depend on
sulfur for lubrication. Now they blend in lubricity additives into
diesel at the terminal to compensate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 1:43*pm, Lee wrote:
A friend has a backup generator that runs off of natural gas, and I
always thought it would be nice to get one when I got a new house. Fast
forward - I have a new (old) house, but it heats by oil and there is no
gas nearby.

The power has gone out several times this summer, so now I'm wondering
what the options are. Are there any generators that use oil? I know
there are propane generators, but was thinking it would be nice not to
worry about another tank and delivery schedule.

Any recommendations? I need something *simple* to use. So far the
outages have lasted around 6 hours. They are annoying in the summer, but
I'm a little concerned about more occurring in the winter.

If you have plenty of funds get it done professionally and correctly.
There are legal implications if someone attaches a backup generator
and inadvertently perhaps due to a half-baked (i.e. cheap) hook up
feeds electrcity back into the electric supply and maybe kills a power
line employee working to restore service. YES IT HAS
HAPPENED; and more than once!

Recommend: Go easy unless you want to show off to everyone else around
'My lights are still on'!!!!! And cheap (or cheaper) does not
necessarily mean simple.

From reading many postings, including this thread the following points
seem pertinent.

If the outage is short, say four five hours, why bother? In even cold
weather the house won't cool that quickly. Or plumbing feeze! Fridges
will stay cold, if you don't open them too often.
Some form of quick (an inexpensive) emergency heat can be on hand. We
still have a little stove to make coffee or tea, warm beans etc;
acquired some 47 years ago to warm baby's bottles for our oldest
child! We use it with care by the light of a candle/flashlight.

We live around 50 deg. North next to the cold North Atlantic. We have
an oil heater, ready to go; hasn't been out of the closet for years.
Probably should dump the fuel oil out and renew! When power fails it
is often at night and one has made it home during a severe storm; so
one is not going anywhere. We get a hot water bottle from standing hot
water in the tank. Go to bed and cuddle up! We also have a semi
portable generator (which we got at a bargain and repaired ourselves)
but again haven't bothered to use it for power outages for many years.

If outage was prolonged ( couple of days) our generator does have the
capacity to plug in using a heavy extension to run the fridge and the
freezer, or at least one of them at a time at a time. And once ours
were charged up maybe run an extension over to our neighbours.

If you do happen to have some very expensive salmon and or moose/deer
meat in your freezer that could spoil a) have your freezer in cool
spot and b) Since it will not unfreeze for at least 10 to 12 hours
even inside the house. If that's a problem get small generator and
plug only the freezer into it for an hour or so a couple of times a
day.

Have battery radio (or one of those windup things) or use your car
radio to find out what's going on.

Since the O.Posting seems to indicate not much technical knowledge it
might be best to avoid the additional complications and costs of
something that will be rarely used and requires the installation of
oil tanks etc. Oil problems can have an ecological impact if there are
leaks. If going ahead make sure your insurance policy covers
ecological 'clean-up'; it can and has been extremely expensive and
involves government agencies and reinspections!

And as mentioned carefully research your type of fuel. Propane is
fairly expensive fuel but again not much of it will be used if you
have two power failures per year for say a total of 12 hours!
Alternatively over long periods unused diesel fuel can get
contaminated or absorb moisture; so gas line antifreeze/fuel
conditioners annually/seasonally may be in order?

There's nothing worse than investing in some rarely used technology
and then when it is most needed it doesn't work!. From a domestic
property value point of view it may not be a good investment? If there
are some activities performed at home that MUST continue regardless of
a power failure then the expense might, perhaps, be considered as a
'Business Cost' and capable of being amortized overa period of a few
years?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a generator - any generator and guaranteed you will not have any more
power outages for 3 years! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Negative ghost rider.

"George" wrote in message
Heating oil is always #2

Posted to alt.home.repair

TWayne wrote:

"S. Barker" wrote:

In all ACTUALITY, home heating oil is generally #1 diesel. While it
will work in an engine, it is a bit thin as a rule and is hard on
injectors.

Where exactly is that? I spent some 34 years in the northeast US and
heating oil there is most certainly #2 fuel oil.

I've lived here all my life in upstate NY.
It's usually #1 fuel oil UNLESS the tank is in a semi-heated area inside
the building (basement, whatever). If the lines are outside, exposed to
the extreme cold, #2 fuel oil will flow slower and plug filters much
faster. In extreme sub-zero temps are are common in the northeast #2
will often have flow problems thru the filters at the tanks and in the
tank screens on the takeup pipes. Also, if the runs are long and along
freezing outside walls all it takes is an insulation opening to allow
the fuel oil to get gummy in the pipe.

That would make some sense. In the northeast houses generally have
basements and the 275-300 gal tanks in the basement are the norm,
therefore no cold oil issues. In the midwest where the other poster
noted everything was #1 basements would be less common and outdoor tanks
more common. Also in the midwest there is probably a lingering history
from kero powered farm tractors involved.

There is an incredible amount of misinformation and opinion sans fact
in this thread. It's amazing.

Yes, some people seem to be oblivious to the fact that #2 *is* the grade
of fuel and whether it's followed by "fuel oil" or "diesel" it's still
the same grade of fuel. The difference is taxes, and so a very small
extend additives for the on-road diesel in colder climates.

Diesel generators normally run on #2 fuel. In some cases where a large
quantity of fuel is stored, #1 is used since it stores a bit better. In
the very unlikely case your heating fuel delivery tickets just say "fuel
oil" without mentioning the #2 or #1 grade, then you need to check what
it is, since there are lower grades (higher numbers) that are usually
only used in large commercial boilers in large buildings.

Again, as I noted originally, find the local Generac/Guardian, Onan or
Kohler dealer, tell them you need a small diesel standby generator
package and let them provide you with the relevant details for the
equipment they can provide.

#1, gut it's an easy job.

#2 fuel oil and #2 diesel are the same thing. #2 fuel oil gets red dye
and is exempt from transportation fuel taxes. #2 fuel oil is also known
as "off road diesel" as it is commonly used in construction and logging
equipment that doesn't operate on the public roads and is exempt from
the transportation fuel taxes.

That used to be accurate but the low sulfur mandates have changed
things. When they dispense diesel at the terminal they also have to add
extra additives to improve the lubricity. Diesels depended on the sulfur
for that. Now that most of it is gone they need to compensate. So when
they dispense diesel there is an on road version that has the additives
plus the dye and then there is an offroad version with the additives and
no dye.

Well, first off, the off-road / heating version gets the dye, not the
taxed transportation fuel version. Second off, the sulfur lube issue
exists for older engines, and you need to add the additives to the fuel
you use for them, because it is not added at the terminal since new
diesel engines use different materials to account for the loss of
lubrication for the injector pump.

Here is some real information ULSD and it's issues. Again remember
that a newly purchased diesel standby generator set will have accounted
for the ULSD issues, and also will log perhaps 100 hours of run time per
year.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...lume1_2007.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

TWayne wrote:

Eric wrote:

Twayne wrote:

RBM wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Geographic areas have nothing at all to do with it. #2 fuel oil is #2
fuel oil - the #2 *is* the grade of fuel. Added dyes and taxes do not
change the grade of fuel. #1 fuel oil also known as kerosene is also
acceptable fuel in most commercial diesel generators.

If you are buying your heating oil from a supplier that is not
specifying the grade (I've never seen a supplier that doesn't and it's
probably illegal to sell ungraded fuel in most states) then you could
indeed be getting any crap, including grades lower than #2 which are
usually only used in big commercial boilers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

Buy a generator - any generator and guaranteed you will not have any more
power outages for 3 years! :-)

Yep, just remember that you need to fuel and test it for that to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Be advised.... #1 fuel oil (diesel) is a totally different product than
kerosene.

#1 fuel oil also known as kerosene .......

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
Negative ghost rider.

"George" wrote in message
Heating oil is always #2

Sorry, unless we are discussing non-residential applications my original
statement including the part you conveniently clipped off is quite accurate.

Home Backup Generators: Which One?? HugeBob Home Repair 18 January 17th 07 03:08 AM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM
Natural Gas BackUp Power Generators Lucas Tam Home Repair 5 January 13th 04 07:09 PM