Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Backup Generators 101?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sure they are available. They will need a starting battery, like a car.
Actually probably two batteries, diesels don't want to start very well.
Figure on spending a couple thousand dollars.

The installation will likely take a company with experience. Fuel, and
wiring to be done.

You can have convenient, or you can have inexpensive. But not both. Well, at
least not until it's been installed. For power outs at my adress, I have a
gasoline generator, and a gascan. Less cost, and also less convenient.

Uh, let's just say middle aged female who doesn't even like messing with
pilot lights, let alone pouring gasoline out of a can, LOL. I will check
with my oil company. My brother has a propane powered generator (too far
away for an extension cord, alas), so I knew that propane is an option.
I was mostly wondering if there was a way to reduce the number of tanks
I'd need sitting in the yard. My brother has these monster propane tanks
in his yard.

Oh well, this isn't about to happen anytime soon - at least until I've
sold the other house. I'm just starting my research.

(And fwiw, my oil tank is above ground, right beside the house).

Thanks for all of the information. It's a lot to digest.