Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Backup Generators 101?

"S. Barker" wrote:

In all ACTUALITY, home heating oil is generally #1 diesel. While it
will work in an engine, it is a bit thin as a rule and is hard on
injectors.

Where exactly is that? I spent some 34 years in the northeast US and
heating oil there is most certainly #2 fuel oil.

I've lived here all my life in upstate NY.
It's usually #1 fuel oil UNLESS the tank is in a semi-heated area inside
the building (basement, whatever). If the lines are outside, exposed to
the extreme cold, #2 fuel oil will flow slower and plug filters much
faster. In extreme sub-zero temps are are common in the northeast #2
will often have flow problems thru the filters at the tanks and in the
tank screens on the takeup pipes. Also, if the runs are long and along
freezing outside walls all it takes is an insulation opening to allow
the fuel oil to get gummy in the pipe.
There is an incredible amount of misinformation and opinion sans fact
in this thread. It's amazing.