Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Backup Generators 101?

Pete C. wrote:

You also paid a service charge every month even when you used almost
no gas, and were locked into a single supplier. A backhoe working
down the street could knock out your supply for a day or more. A gas
leak can quite readily blow up your house. For a generator, many
times the service lines and meter need to be upgraded to handle the
flow demands of the generator.

Some time back, I bought a duplex. I live on one side and the other is the
company's office. My commute time to work is about twenty seconds. Anyway...

Last year, I married the two gas services by connecting the office side to
the house side (with a valve just in case I ever want to separate them). I
then told the gas company to disconnect the house service. This saved me
$14.80/month which was the minimum charge with no gas being used (I don't
begrudge the gas company the minimum charge, they've got to read the meter
and send out bills).

As a bonus, whatever gas is used on the house side (some heating, hot water,
dryer), is now a business expense (shhh! don't tell anyone).