Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT PC Backup

John Rumm wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:58:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I use something like this to backup my PC. Its making funny
noises at the moment and I would like to back up the hard disc
including the OS. I'm using Windows XP.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/32...isk_34766.html

Yes, as long as it's big enough to hold all your stuff.

I have never seem thepoint of backing up a nasty windows equipped
unreliable PC onto something even nastier cheaper and more
unreliable, frankly.

If you don't know, why not say so?

Ok then, no you cant use something like that to back up windows because
in my EXPERIENCE - not opinion - what actually will die on you
irrecoverably is the stupid storage device you used for backup.

However for the purposes of this exercise - i.e. preserving an image
of a working system until a new drive can be procured, its perfectly
adequate.
?

?what? why not install onto the new drive and simply mount the other
drive and copy what you want from it?

Which is what I just said - with the added step of a second copy onto an
external so that if you get an early life failure on the new drive, you
can still get back to your current position.

(having said that, if you need to order the external drive, you may as
well get the replacement drive at the same time, and then clone the
system twice - once onto the new drive, then onto the external).

--
Cheers,

John.