Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default OT PC Backup

On Apr 7, 10:25*pm, fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

On Apr 7, 9:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
fred wrote:
In article
,

NT
writes

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows install and again
after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the
reinstall.

I did that at one time. But didnt use the images in practice. Usually
things dont go that wrong, and if they do I tended to want a different
setup anyway. With xp and on if you upgrade hardware at the same time,
it wont work anyway. So it all gets a bit pointless.

Useful in the case of a system drive doing bad, it means a system can be
back up and running in short order. The OS & apps image fits on a DVD so
it's easy to have one in a drawer just in case.

Thats mainly why I did at one time clone. But it was never used in
practice, there are too many ifs & buts.

It's nice to keep a copy if it's taken a while to get the best driver
combo together, particularly on say a fussy laptop.

Shouldnt be hard to reinstall them from a backup. You do of course
have info saved on what drivers work on what machine.

NT