Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT PC Backup

fred wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
fred wrote:
In article
, NT
writes

I've also never seen the point in backing up windows. If you need to
reinstall it, do it the windows way. Yes its slower, but youre asking
for trouble otherwise, IME its just not worth cloning.

For a new machine I take an image after the windows install and again
after the major apps go on.

If it all turns to **** later then that saves quite a bit of time on the
reinstall.

I only do backups of data (inc the mail databases).

One thing I did to save time was to copy the apps in /program files en
masse, and just copy them straight back into windows. Its surprising
how many work fine this way - some will still need reinstalling the
windows way.

Hmmn, not sure on that one.

The way to backup your data is simply to add the 2nd drive, control a
c in one pane, control v in the other. Job done, software pointless.

It is nice to automate the backup even if you do run it manually. I
wouldn't back up unless it was to an external drive, there are too many
things to go wrong with a drive in the same box. A usb-network adapter
is a nice way of keeping a usb drive nicely separated from the main box.

Switching to linux makes this process easier, this distro is a dream
to install compared to win.

Windows has the apps.

Only two I couldn't do without, and they nestle nicely on a windows
virtual machine. That gets backed up in its entirety every night as its
'just another linux file system' when all is said and done.

Unless you play windows real time games, there is no reason to keep a
windows bare installation if you don't want to.

I am aware of your prejudices and have no wish to debate them with you,
thank you.

Then why respond with 'windows has the apps' ?

Oh you only want to debate with someone when you can win.
And when you say something it's a fact and one someone else says
something its 'their prejudices'

I cam easily see why a man you like could consider himself infallible.

and how hard it is to achieve it.