Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Backup, backup!

rbowman on Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:05:33 -0600 typed
in alt.survival the following:
Gunner Asch wrote:

My son paid for a "computer technicians" course in Utah. They ripped
him off badly. Seriously badly. And the poor ******* thought they
were teaching him something worth money.

Over the past year or so, I've interviewed several people with recent CS
degrees. They did not get their money's worth. We are not looking for
skilled programmers with impressive resumes, just entry level programmers
with enough background to not require extensive handholding. The two hires
in that time did not have degrees.

I'm finding that my "mechanical drafting" in high school, and the
intervening decades, gave me the "smarts" to know what needs to be
done, so that the technical training in the software is more along the
lines of "how do I do what I want to do, in this software?"
Of course some things - couldn't really be done "by hand". Not as
precisely and not nearly as quickly.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,