Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.food-science

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

Cheryl wrote:

Maybe you're not to supposed to leave them in the sealed plastic bag
once taken home. Your control group seems to suggest that. The rest
was interesting, with the apples and all.

Well, the funny thing is that, in the past, I've unbagged the green
Costco bananas, and they never ripened. I also left them bagged,
and, they never ripened.

For a long while, I just stopped buying Costco bananas.

But then, I was at Costco on the last Sunday in March, and
I figured I'd buy them, and ASK YOU GUYS.

I do realize the paper bag was the suggested method, along
with the ripened fruits - but I had no paper bags, and not
enough bananas to do all the experiments - so I opted for
the simplest ... which was to put fruits in three of the
four bags.

So far, I've learned that the yellow Dole banana did almost nothing
to ripen the green DelMonte bananas; and I learned that a single
apple was a risk because it appears to depend on the apple.

So I juggled the apples yesterday - and threw away the yellow
Dole which had turned brown all over - and am currently just
waiting to see if the multiple apples will work.

I will report back in a few days...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.food-science

On Apr 8, 8:14*am, "Francis C." wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Dear FC-

imo, your "juggling of the experimental conditions" as time progress
is effectively muddling any results.

You might hit a "home run" and discover a ripening solution but at
this point, I cannot say which of your experimental paths I would
repeat to confirm a success.

That over ripe Dole may have been you best ripening agent. Based on
the results so far, I'd give up on Costco bannanas

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.food-science

DD_BobK wrote:

That over ripe Dole may have been you best ripening agent. Based on
the results so far, I'd give up on Costco bannanas

UPDATE:

The untouched DelMonte Costco control set of bananas finally ripened!

Today is the 12th of April, and they were bought green
on the 24th of March, which is 19 days elapsed time.

If we selected just the right (magic) apple, that time can be
dropped by two thirds - otherwise - a bunch of random apples
seemed to drop ripening time only by about a third.

The yellow Dole banana was nearly useless as a ripening
agent (which had to be removed when it turned totally brown).

In summary, the green Costco DelMonte bananas, if left alone,
will ripen in two to three weeks but will ripen in one to two
weeks if we put a few apples in the bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, all...

I don't see what the problem is! I let green bananas ripen on the counter until they're just the way I like them, then I put them in the frig. They don't stay yellow of course -- they start to go almost black -- but they remain perfect for eating for many days! (As they darken they're not the prettiest to place in a bowl and serve to company of course -- ha ha.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.

http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I found this thread looking for what the heck happened to my costco bananas!
Bought them green - left them in the bag - today they all looked nicely ripe. I picked up the bag and water poured out - I thought someone spilled something on them - but NO - they were really - not brown and totally mush - like they had been frozen and then microwaved or something!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:49:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I found this thread looking for what the heck happened to my costco bananas!

You didn't buy Chiquita® Bananas.

http://raingardenart.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/chiquita-banana.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

I noticed that too. I dont buy bananas from there anymore
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I noticed that too. I dont buy bananas from there anymore

I am leery of much of Costco fruit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:10:33 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
wrote in message

I noticed that too. I dont buy bananas from there anymore

I am leery of much of Costco fruit.

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce, so now I buy at our Co-op. Expensive (all organic, which I don't always require) but SO
fresh and good!

We also have 4 farmer's markets in town - Wednesday, Saturday (2) and Sunday.
Again, not cheap, but guaranteed to be grown and sold by farmer -- no middlemen.

Where I do NOT buy is Whole Foods. Expensive, Yuppy style. How fresh is produce one doesn't know. And now they've been caught with their pants down, charging for the container when weighing out purchase, where it's supposed to automatically deduct weight of container. Huge scandal.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I noticed that too. I dont buy bananas from there anymore

I am leery of much of Costco fruit.

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce, so
now I buy at our Co-op. Expensive (all organic, which I don't always
require) but SO
fresh and good!

We also have 4 farmer's markets in town - Wednesday, Saturday (2) and
Sunday.
Again, not cheap, but guaranteed to be grown and sold by farmer -- no
middlemen.

Where I do NOT buy is Whole Foods. Expensive, Yuppy style. How fresh is
produce one doesn't know. And now they've been caught with their pants
down, charging for the container when weighing out purchase, where it's
supposed to automatically deduct weight of container. Huge scandal.

HB

-------

I am ready to go back to Europe, just for the fruit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce,

I try not to buy any produce there. It's usually
funky in some way. One can't go for quality and cheap
prices both. I also don't like the way these sell their
own brands. There's no way to know the source and
the source doesn't have to worry about their reputation.
A good example: A while back there was a salmonella recall
on products from a wholesaler in the Midwest, called Big Nut.
Among the list of low-end products being recalled was
Trader Joes peanut butter.

While I don't particularly trust Whole Foods, I find their
produce is generally better than other supermarkets, if
only because their clientelle want it that way. For
instance, right now they have those monstrous Driscoll's
robo-berries and they don't even have any garlic from
the US. They also don't have any truly edible tomatoes,
despite prices up to $6.50/pound. On the other hand,
they have local strawberries from an identified grower,
and delicious, local, organic lettuce.
...But if I actually had access to a decent co-op I suspect
I'd do as you do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote:

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce,

I try not to buy any produce there. It's usually
funky in some way. One can't go for quality and cheap
prices both. I also don't like the way these sell their
own brands. There's no way to know the source and
the source doesn't have to worry about their reputation.

How do you know there's no way to know the source. Have you ever asked?

A while back I was looking at the chicken at BJ's. They sell Perdue labeled
chicken and BJ's labeled chicken. I located the butcher and asked him what
the difference was. "Just the packaging, and of course, the price."

They get all of their chicken from Perdue, some of it pre-packaged by
Perdue, and some of it bulk, which they then package themselves and sell
for a lower price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce,
|

| I try not to buy any produce there. It's usually
| funky in some way. One can't go for quality and cheap
| prices both. I also don't like the way these sell their
| own brands. There's no way to know the source and
| the source doesn't have to worry about their reputation.
|
| How do you know there's no way to know the source. Have you ever asked?

Who would one ask? A clerk may answer, but that doesn't
mean they know. I've never tried writing to TJ. Maybe they'd
answer. I don't know. But that would seem to be in conflict with the
whole idea of store brands, which is that the source company
doesn't have to answer to the customer and can therefore charge
the store less. A Sears sewing machine might be made by Singer
or it might be made by Ace & Acme, but for all practical purposes
it's a Sears machine.

Most Trader Joes processed products say only "distributed by
Trader Joes". I suspect that Big Nut doesn't want their name
connected because then people would send complaints to them.
I would guess that's probably part of the contract.

Even if the source is known, it would make sense that their
product is higher quality than the store brand. If a company
also sells retail then their reputation depends on their product, but
not on the stock they sell through a store brand. There can also
be other minor issues, not immediately apparent. For instance,
Whole Foods brand organic diced tomatoes are cheaper than the
name brand on the next shelf. They both say organic. But the
name brand (Muir Glen) also says there's no BPA in the can liner.
The WF brand does not. WF is a giant corporation that bought
out smaller stores to build a massive chain. they're a middleman,
not a food producer. So they don't care about issues like BPA in
can liners unless the customer cares -- even when the content is
organic!
So there's two cans of tomatoes. They might even both be
Muir Glen tomatoes. But one has BPA in the can liner. And it's
pretty safe to assume that if Muir Glen is selling tomatoes to
WF they're not sending them the best ones. That's why the
store brand is cheaper, after all.

| A while back I was looking at the chicken at BJ's. They sell Perdue
labeled
| chicken and BJ's labeled chicken. I located the butcher and asked him what
| the difference was. "Just the packaging, and of course, the price."
|
| They get all of their chicken from Perdue, some of it pre-packaged by
| Perdue, and some of it bulk, which they then package themselves and sell
| for a lower price.

That makes sense. Perdue practically owns the market at this
point. But the clerk's word is not a promise, and BJs could easily
start getting chicken from China next month. They've made no
commitment to you about where they source their chicken. If they
start getting it from a farm in China built on a mercury waste dump
you'll probably never know. Nor is the clerk likely to learn about it.
For that matter, they can say it's organic if China certifies that.
But we have no agreement with China in terms of organic regulations.
And who, in their right mind, would trust Chinese gov't officials to
confirm organic food products being shipped to the US? They don't
even care about their own people.

Personally I would never buy Perdue at any price. One reason
is their exploitation. There was a PBS documentary about how
they treat their suppliers. Another reason is the chicken itself.
It's not right. It's got globs of yellow fat under the skin and the
fat is sticky, tearing apart paper napkins. There are also veins
that seem to be in weird places. If you try normal chicken, like
Bell and Evans, I think you'll find it tastes much better and
the fat it greasy, just like it always was growing up. There
are also no fat globs under the skin in normal chicken.

I wouldn't eat industrial beef, either, because that's likely to
be far worse than chicken. (A single hamburger can come from
dozens of countries, unloaded from ships as meat chunks in bins,
then shipped to the Midwest suppliers for grinding. Yum.) But in
the case of beef I can't honestly say that I think organic tastes
better. I'd only buy it to avoid a big dose of female hormones,
mad cow prions, and who knows what else might be in it. In the
case of chicken I can see and taste the difference clearly.

If you're on a tight budget you might have to go for industrial
food, but I would keep in mind that their market is people who
care most, by far, about price. Or to put it another way, if you
don't want to know how sausage is made, then you won't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2014 10:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
They get all of their chicken from Perdue, some of it pre-packaged by
Perdue, and some of it bulk, which they then package themselves and sell
for a lower price.

Yum! Perdue chicken are the best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mlrdr2jHV1A

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2014 7:10 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
wrote in message
I noticed that too. I dont buy bananas from there anymore

I am leery of much of Costco fruit.

I'm leery of any supermarket produce. Much is now picked too soon so it
ships with minimal damage, but also has minimal flavor. It is
artificially ripened and never truly matures. That is the consequence
of wanting watermelon in January.

My generation is going to be the last one to know what a peach or tomato
is supposed to taste like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2014 10:15 AM, Mayayana wrote:

[...]

You are making assumptions with no backup. Just because the can does
not state anything about BPA you cannot say it has it. May or may not
and if it does not, their lawyers would have a lot of fun with you.

Your assumption that they are not sending "the best ones" is wrong also.
I've had involvement in the private label industry in the past. Most
often, it is identical. No better, no worse, exactly the same. There
are exceptions both ways though.

I was in a soda bottling plant a couple of months ago and watched a
change over of labels while the same flavoring syrup continued to flow.
OTOH, they also produced a premium flavor for another brand that sold
for more than their own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| You are making assumptions with no backup. Just because the can does
| not state anything about BPA you cannot say it has it.

I assume for my purposes that it has BPA because it
doesn't say otherwise. Why not? These are cans of
organic tomatoes. I'm paying extra for good quality.
If the WF version is not using BPA they'd be crazy not
to say that. If the other brand says non-BPA I'll buy that
instead. Many of the WF customers care. In fact, more
people probably care about BPA than about organic. It's
a less controversial issue.

If you really want to research it, here's a link I found in a
few seconds:

http://bpafreecannedfood.wordpress.c...d-food-brands/

It says that as of 2012 WF was using about 27%
non-BPA cans, claiming that they can't get more.
But it sounds like you don't really want to know. You're
one of those people who prefers not to know how the
sausage is made. And such people get annoyed when
someone tells them, because it complicates their life.

| Your assumption that they are not sending "the best
| ones" is wrong also. I've had involvement in the private
| label industry in the past. Most often, it is identical.

So you say. But you're the same person who doesn't
care about BPA in cans, aren't you?

There may be truth in what you're saying, but again
it makes sense for my purposes to assume lower quality.
The actual food producer does not have their name
on the product. It's a matter of simple common sense
and human nature that if they can fulfill their contract
with lesser quality stock -- saving the better stock for
their own label -- then they would do that. Wouldn't
you? You've grown 3 truckloads of tomatoes. Shaws
wants to buy one for their store brand. One truckload
is a bit funky, from a poorly producing field, but certainly
good enough for market, while the other two truckloads
are extremely good. Do you send one of the better
truckloads to Shaws? (There's no such thing as identical
when it comes to fresh food.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting coincidence.... Your post got me curious
about the BPA issue. It turns out it's harder to avoid
BPA in cans than I thought. I don't buy much in cans,
so I haven't paid much attention to it, but apparently
tomatoes are an especially relevant item:

From 2013
http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/in...nned_food.html
---------

Sara O'Leary, a healthy eating specialist and a registered dietitian at
Whole Foods Market in Vancouver, says that while she hasn't received many
customer inquiries about BPA-free packaging, she likes to point out specific
brands when she conducts store tours or talks with customers about making
healthier food choices.

The only current product line that's completely BPA-free is Eden Organic,
though individual products from Wild Planet, Westbrae Natural and Muir Glen
have BPA-free packaging.

"If you're only going to worry about BPA with one thing, focus on tomatoes,"
O'Leary says. "Due to their high acidity, they encourage the leaching of BPA
into the food. So I point customers to diced tomatoes or sauces from Eden or
Muir Glen."

----------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2014 12:10 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| You are making assumptions with no backup. Just because the can does
| not state anything about BPA you cannot say it has it.

I assume for my purposes that it has BPA because it
doesn't say otherwise. Why not?

You said it does. You do not know that for sure. Yes, you can be
cautious and not buy them, but you cannot be sure it has something just
because it does not say it is free of it. Many things say "gluten free"
but not everything that does not say that has gluten in it.

These are cans of
organic tomatoes. I'm paying extra for good quality.
If the WF version is not using BPA they'd be crazy not
to say that.

Perhaps, but getting the labels changed takes time too. We don't have
facts to make statements, only conjecture.

If you really want to research it, here's a link I found in a
few seconds:

http://bpafreecannedfood.wordpress.c...d-food-brands/

It says that as of 2012 WF was using about 27%
non-BPA cans, claiming that they can't get more.
But it sounds like you don't really want to know. You're
one of those people who prefers not to know how the
sausage is made. And such people get annoyed when
someone tells them, because it complicates their life.

I make my own sausage and I know exactly what goes into it. I would
prefer non-bps cans, but I don't get too excited about the few cans a
month we do use.

| Your assumption that they are not sending "the best
| ones" is wrong also. I've had involvement in the private
| label industry in the past. Most often, it is identical.

So you say. But you're the same person who doesn't
care about BPA in cans, aren't you?

Where did I say I don't care? You lose credibility what you say things
like that. You just make up what suits you at the time regardless of
the truth.

There may be truth in what you're saying, but again
it makes sense for my purposes to assume lower quality.
The actual food producer does not have their name
on the product. It's a matter of simple common sense
and human nature that if they can fulfill their contract
with lesser quality stock -- saving the better stock for
their own label -- then they would do that. Wouldn't
you?

It gets even funnier as you go on with assumption. Do you think the
label on the can means it was produced and packed by them? Many of the
name brand items you buy are produced by the independents and third
party canners. Same big vat, many labels.

You've grown 3 truckloads of tomatoes. Shaws
wants to buy one for their store brand. One truckload
is a bit funky, from a poorly producing field, but certainly
good enough for market, while the other two truckloads
are extremely good. Do you send one of the better
truckloads to Shaws? (There's no such thing as identical
when it comes to fresh food.)

Depends on who I'm packing for today. Chances are, I'd mix the three
together and start canning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| It gets even funnier as you go on with assumption. Do you think the
| label on the can means it was produced and packed by them? Many of the
| name brand items you buy are produced by the independents and third
| party canners. Same big vat, many labels.

That's a good point. I know WF brand is not their own.
I can be fairly confident that Muir Glen produces and
packs their own. But there are a lot of "quality" food
companies that have been bought up to cash in on the
reputation. Toms, HaagenDas, SmartFood, etc. One just
has to make one's best judgement based on available
information. I don't see anything silly about that.

| You've grown 3 truckloads of tomatoes. Shaws
| wants to buy one for their store brand. One truckload
| is a bit funky, from a poorly producing field, but certainly
| good enough for market, while the other two truckloads
| are extremely good. Do you send one of the better
| truckloads to Shaws? (There's no such thing as identical
| when it comes to fresh food.)
|
| Depends on who I'm packing for today. Chances are, I'd mix the three
| together and start canning.

You're not canning. You're selling a truckload
to Shaws, and they'll be perfectly happy with
the worst batch, while what you keep will go
under your own label. You're going to mix the
truckloads? I doubt that very much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:42:09 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Mayayana" wrote:

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce,

I try not to buy any produce there. It's usually

funky in some way. One can't go for quality and cheap

prices both. I also don't like the way these sell their

own brands. There's no way to know the source and

the source doesn't have to worry about their reputation.

How do you know there's no way to know the source. Have you ever asked?

A while back I was looking at the chicken at BJ's. They sell Perdue labeled

chicken and BJ's labeled chicken. I located the butcher and asked him what

the difference was. "Just the packaging, and of course, the price."

They get all of their chicken from Perdue, some of it pre-packaged by

Perdue, and some of it bulk, which they then package themselves and sell

for a lower price.

I NEVER NEVER buy"Southern chickens" -- with apologies to my Southern friends.
Perdue is a no-no, both because of dubious quality of product and bad treatment of employees, and because of their political stance. It's my money, and I'll spend it where I choose. Preferably where the growers do not brutalize the chickens. Happens in most states; the growers pay off legislators to oppose every effort to provide reasonable conditions for these helpless creatures.

If you ever chose to research that situation, you would be shocked.

Though I don't always buy "organic" I certainly prefer to buy local chickens from farmers that are allowed to sell at farmers markets because they follow best practices.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I noticed that too. I dont buy bananas from there anymore

I am leery of much of Costco fruit.

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce, so
now I buy at our Co-op. Expensive (all organic, which I don't always
require) but SO
fresh and good!

We also have 4 farmer's markets in town - Wednesday, Saturday (2) and
Sunday.
Again, not cheap, but guaranteed to be grown and sold by farmer -- no
middlemen.

Where I do NOT buy is Whole Foods. Expensive, Yuppy style. How fresh is
produce one doesn't know. And now they've been caught with their pants
down, charging for the container when weighing out purchase, where it's
supposed to automatically deduct weight of container. Huge scandal.

HB

It isn't fresh. I bought things there a few times only to have them be bad
by the following day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2014 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

How fresh is fresh? Most of the crap in supermarkets is picked too soon
so it is shelf stable, but tasteless. Sure, the ripe stuff goes bad
faster but used in a timely fashion, it is full of flavor.

It has been years since I had a good banana. Melons from the farmer's
makrket are good, but the ones in supermarkets are nasty. The grapes
from Chile are picked too soon and not as sweet as they should be, but
they have to survive the long trip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 06:38:54 -0700, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

...snip...

It has been years since I had a good banana. Melons from the farmer's
makrket are good, but the ones in supermarkets are nasty. The grapes
from Chile are picked too soon and not as sweet as they should be, but
they have to survive the long trip.

when grapes FIRST appeared from Chile, they were incredibly delicious!
We're talking so much sugar they actually stuck together sometimes. Like
vine ripened. incredible, but within a year the FDA found BAD grapes from
Chile which staunched that flow. The adulterated grapes turned out to be
two shriveled grapes that had been injected with strichnine. hmmm...yeah
that happens a lot in nature. Well, after that, the grapes coming in from
Chile started tasting EXACTLY like the grapes form elsewhere. Picked too
green, no flavour, etc. But at least for one season we found some
produce, albeit at Safeway, that tasted like it should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

that seems to happen to you quite frequently
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in the afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or fertilizer is the cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2016 2:18 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in the afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or fertilizer is the cause.

Try putting them in a paper bag. It concentrates the ethylene gas.

Many supermarkets have ripening rooms to process them to various stages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:32:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Try putting them in a paper bag. It concentrates the ethylene gas.

Same brown bags used for tomatoes. Often put in a kitchen cabinet.

Less sunlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in the afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or fertilizer is the cause.

Probably ungassed, they ripen slower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2016 12:27 AM, F Murtz wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become
soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in
the afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or
fertilizer is the cause.

Probably ungassed, they ripen slower.

Sadly, most of the fresh fruits and veggies in supermarkets really are
under-ripe flavorless things picked to be able to ship thousands of
miles without damage.

Some of the strawberries are big and red and sure look pretty, but they
have no flavor. Peaches may or may not be edible when they finally
ripen. Sometimes they are mealy. Seedless watermelons have half the
flavor of the old long seeded ones we grew up with.

This time of year you can skip the suprmarket and head to the local
farmer's market and get real fresh food, just picked, full of flavor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Sadly, most of the fresh fruits and veggies in supermarkets really are
| under-ripe flavorless things picked to be able to ship thousands of
| miles without damage.
|
| Some of the strawberries are big and red and sure look pretty, but they
| have no flavor. Peaches may or may not be edible when they finally
| ripen. Sometimes they are mealy. Seedless watermelons have half the
| flavor of the old long seeded ones we grew up with.
|
| This time of year you can skip the suprmarket and head to the local
| farmer's market and get real fresh food, just picked, full of flavor.

Or at least not go to Costco! Whole Foods has
organic bananas at a reasonable price. I've been
getting good, organic peaches at WF lately. I've
also been getting some things at local farmers
markets, but there's not much fruit in yet.
But one has to do research and try each batch,
even at Whole Foods. They've gone corporate and
can't be trusted. (I can't count how many times
I've pointed out wrong country-of-origin signs on
produce to clerks who couldn't care less.) What's
good this week at WF may not be good next week.
And even WF is turning into a factory food outlet,
while also driving small natural food stores out of
business. Next to the current crop of organic peaches
(on sale!) are organic grapes from Anthony's. Sounds
good? Anthony's is using fracking water that may be
tainted with heavy metals to get through the California
drought. (The organic law doesn't cover the topic of
sourcing water.) I've been buying the surprisingly good,
and non-bloated, non-organic grapes.
WF also carries Driscoll's berries, which
have their own hybrids and operate like the Perdue of
produce -- getting smaller farmers to act as subcontractors,
forcing them to grow the Driscoll's hybrids using Driscoll's
methods. I wouldn't touch a Driscoll's product, for both
moral and health reasons. This week I walked into a WF
and was met by a young, attractive woman who wanted
to give me a coupon for Stonyfield Farms yogurt. SF
was bought years ago by Dannon (Danone). It's factory
scale yogurt. I once saw that they buy "organic"
strawberries from China! Meanwhile I can get a few
brands of local, organic yogurt.
So all of that is happening within just a few limited
categories at Whole Foods. People who shop at mainstream
chain stores have far less chance of buying truly edible
food. People who shop around still need to educate
themselves.... and at least pay attention enough to
realize that a tart, crunchy plum or a mealy peach is not
an edible foodstuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2016 07:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This time of year you can skip the suprmarket and head to the local
farmer's market and get real fresh food, just picked, full of flavor.

I'm somewhat cynical about the local farmers' market. Much of the
produce isn't in season and if there are that many truck gardens in town
they certainly are well hidden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2016 1:47 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/31/2016 07:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This time of year you can skip the suprmarket and head to the local
farmer's market and get real fresh food, just picked, full of flavor.

I'm somewhat cynical about the local farmers' market. Much of the
produce isn't in season and if there are that many truck gardens in town
they certainly are well hidden.

The farmer's market in town here twice a week is certified by the state.
If you did not grow it, make it, or raise it, you cannot sell it.
Most of the regulars also sell out of their farm locations too.

There are some farm stands that do sell stuff they get from wholesalers,
but they are not much different than the supermarket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

banasas are picked not ripe. and are supposed to be gassed right before sale.

apparently the missed their gas...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2016 12:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The farmer's market in town here twice a week is certified by the state.
If you did not grow it, make it, or raise it, you cannot sell it. Most
of the regulars also sell out of their farm locations too.

Other than the cherry stands up around the Flathead during the season, I
can't think of a farm stand around here. The one produce vendor I have
confidence is the guy selling Dixon melons out of the back of his
pickup. I've seen the melons growing in Dixon and he only shows up in
season. The people doing baked goods, jerky, and so forth are also
believable.

There are some farm stands that do sell stuff they get from wholesalers,
but they are not much different than the supermarket.

If anything the farmers' market prices are higher than the supermarkets.
They are selling the intangible idea that their stuff must be better,
tastier, and so forth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become
soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in the
afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or fertilizer is the cause.

Never saw bagged bananas in my groceries.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2016 3:38 AM, gregz wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become
soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in the
afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or fertilizer is the cause.

Never saw bagged bananas in my groceries.

Greg

Only place I've seen them is Costco and BJ's because the sell a minimum
amount. Local grocery stores sell them by the pound so you can buy just
one or two if you'd like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 8:35:23 PM UTC-5, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

This topic is over 3 years old so I might as well get my 2 cents in. I buy Costco bananas frequently and they always ripen. Sometimes they appear not to ripen based on skin color, but the inside does get ripe. If you've had them 3 or 4 days and they still look unripe, try one and see. I never store them in the plastic bag because then they go from green to rotten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:36:19 -0700, Ameri-Clean wrote:

One gas used is ethylene. You can try ripening bananas by putting an
apple in a bag with the bananas. Apples give of this gas.

Thane

Whirlpool ad at Costco Joe Home Repair 3 August 10th 10 03:59 PM
Since we were talking about Costco geoff UK diy 13 August 7th 10 09:58 PM
I've gone bananas George UK diy 7 February 27th 08 10:23 PM
Apricot, CostCo and LDD charlie b Woodturning 6 September 21st 05 11:32 AM
costco spa Jenny Home Ownership 1 August 30th 04 05:44 PM