charlie b

Default Apricot, CostCo and LDD

So this guy now has an orange, Borg Orange, five gallon bucket of a
bunch of roughed to round, fresh cut, apricot, submerged in an orange,
Costco Orange, 50-50 solution of water and Kirkland “Fresh Citrus
Scented Ultra Concentrated Dish Liquid, Anti-Bacterial Hand Soap, More
Gentle on Hands, Tough On Grease”. From The Wood Turners Catalog
2004/2005 he’s read
“Probably the best of all the fruitwoods, apricot . . .” and that a 10
inch long
8 inch in diameter half “log” of it is about 1.75 board feet, weighing
about 10 pounds , which, at $1.99 per pound, costs about twenty bucks,
which comes to $11 and change per BF. This apricot must be very special
wood ‘cause, per BF, it’s more expensive than kiln dried S4S figured
maple, claro walnut, flame birch, mahogany, cherry or quarter sawn white
oak and it’s green.

As suggested, this stuff turns nicely green, at least the piece that was
done before the LDD immersion.

Now that this guy has committed some nice stuff to an LDD bath, the
thought has occured to him that LDD could be the wood turners’ version
of a snipe hunt, the mechanics’ left handed open end wrench and the
whamadilly that grinds smoke. The $10 and change investment in CostCo’s
house brand liguid dishwahsing soap and the $3.50 bucket will be nothing
compared to the price to replace the apricot pieces should that be the
case.

Nah - no woodworker would do that to another woodworker.

Anyway - have a look. This stuff’s interesting

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../Turning7.html

Anyone have the drying schedule for LDD treated turnings?

charlie b
Dave in Fairfax

charlie b wrote:
snip
As suggested, this stuff turns nicely green, at least the piece that was
done before the LDD immersion.

Now that this guy has committed some nice stuff to an LDD bath, the
thought has occured to him that LDD could be the wood turners’ version
of a snipe hunt, the mechanics’ left handed open end wrench and the
whamadilly that grinds smoke. The $10 and change investment in CostCo’s
house brand liguid dishwahsing soap and the $3.50 bucket will be nothing
compared to the price to replace the apricot pieces should that be the
case.

Nah - no woodworker would do that to another woodworker.

snip
Anyone have the drying schedule for LDD treated turnings?

Very nice work Charlie, it's hard to believe that you're new to this,
all your stuff comes out so nicely. Fruitwoods are lots of fun and very
pretty. No snipe, I promise. Didn't Leif send you a copy of the LDD
treatise? If not, let me know and I will. There is NO drying schedule
with LDD, you soak it, you turn it, you finish it. If you're
interrupted, you toss it back into the LDD until you can get back to
it. A Google on LDD will cover this, and ratios, in depth.

Keep up the good work and enjoy youself.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Leif Thorvaldson

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

=====You've seen through me and the Great LDD Cabal, Conspiracy, Chowder
and Marching Society. I was wondering when someone besides George would
figure it out!! Thanks for the outing, Charlie. I wasn't quite ready for
it yet as I could still have made more money selling "The World-famous
Treatise on LDD," but that's OK old buddy. I am introducing a new concept to
replace the LDD. It is an old Norwegian woodturners secret for preventing
cracks and warps in turnings. I can't give you the details now, but I can
tell you that it involves using lutefisk. Keep the faith, Charlie! Maybe
your apricot might not split, crack or warp if you believe strongly enough.
(Clicking your heels three times and ruby slippers are optional, but
helpful. Just don't let the wife or kids catch you at it!)

Leif

Henry

Don't listen to him. As a Norge of American decent I can tell you that the
correct method of perserving wood is to soke it in lye for 6 months along
with a good cod fish. After 6 months throw away the fish and wood and eat a
paper plate wit salt, pepper, and a good white sause. You can turn the cod
fish but don't feed it to the neighbor cats. Better give it to the Sons of
Norway. Lutefisk is Health food. You need to be healthy to eat it.

To tell the truth LLD works for some people. Don't give up. Apricot has a
beautifully color and makes a wonderfull bowl. It does tend to come apart
easy. I have one of the oldest trees in the area nicly drying in my shop.
The first bowl i made from it came apart like you would not belive. The
only piece left was the 2" puck in the chuck.
I cut a 14" bowl wraped it in duct tape and cut the inside, than through it
in a plastic bag for 3 months. The owner loves it. It warped like you would
not believe. The hart wood started out white and keeps geeting darker with
time. I love apricot. Good luck and let us know how it works. Post on
APBW.

Thanks

Henry

My Grandpaw was Hendrick Horn from Horn Norg.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Balderstone

In article , Leif Thorvaldson
wrote:

It is an old Norwegian woodturners secret for preventing
cracks and warps in turnings. I can't give you the details now, but I can
tell you that it involves using lutefisk.

"Ole, I have bad news."

"What is it, Sven?"

"The salt cod dropped into the lye bucket some time ago. I don't know
when."

"Sven, we'll starve until the Norwegian spring in August if we can't
eat that codfish. Let's try boiling it, and calling it a delicacy.
Lutefisk! A Norwegian word that means "@@#$%$#(*&)!!!!! "And how about
you move the lye bucket?"

"Okay, Ole. Are you sure you should use the aluminum pot?"

Gerald Ross

charlie b wrote:

So this guy now has an orange, Borg Orange, five gallon bucket of a
bunch of roughed to round, fresh cut, apricot, submerged in an orange,
Costco Orange, 50-50 solution of water and Kirkland “Fresh Citrus
Scented Ultra Concentrated Dish Liquid, Anti-Bacterial Hand Soap, More
Gentle on Hands, Tough On Grease”. From The Wood Turners Catalog

(snip)

Anyone have the drying schedule for LDD treated turnings?

I've heard you put it in an orange paper bag and hang it on a clothes
line indoors with the grain oriented north to south.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'm not a complete idiot - several
parts are missing!

George

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
I am introducing a new concept to
replace the LDD. It is an old Norwegian woodturners secret for preventing
cracks and warps in turnings. I can't give you the details now, but I can
tell you that it involves using lutefisk. Keep the faith, Charlie!

Fine Woodworking, way back in the black-and-white days had an article on a
Scandinavian woodcarver who prevented his spoons from splitting by rubbing a
boiled potato - or was it baked? - on the end grain. Always puzzled me,
because the ones I carve are dried outside in the sun with no problems. So
if your method involves potatoes, it's been done.

Uff da.

Lutefisk....