Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

On 7/4/2014 12:10 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| You are making assumptions with no backup. Just because the can does
| not state anything about BPA you cannot say it has it.

I assume for my purposes that it has BPA because it
doesn't say otherwise. Why not?

You said it does. You do not know that for sure. Yes, you can be
cautious and not buy them, but you cannot be sure it has something just
because it does not say it is free of it. Many things say "gluten free"
but not everything that does not say that has gluten in it.

These are cans of
organic tomatoes. I'm paying extra for good quality.
If the WF version is not using BPA they'd be crazy not
to say that.

Perhaps, but getting the labels changed takes time too. We don't have
facts to make statements, only conjecture.

If you really want to research it, here's a link I found in a
few seconds:

http://bpafreecannedfood.wordpress.c...d-food-brands/

It says that as of 2012 WF was using about 27%
non-BPA cans, claiming that they can't get more.
But it sounds like you don't really want to know. You're
one of those people who prefers not to know how the
sausage is made. And such people get annoyed when
someone tells them, because it complicates their life.

I make my own sausage and I know exactly what goes into it. I would
prefer non-bps cans, but I don't get too excited about the few cans a
month we do use.

| Your assumption that they are not sending "the best
| ones" is wrong also. I've had involvement in the private
| label industry in the past. Most often, it is identical.

So you say. But you're the same person who doesn't
care about BPA in cans, aren't you?

Where did I say I don't care? You lose credibility what you say things
like that. You just make up what suits you at the time regardless of
the truth.

There may be truth in what you're saying, but again
it makes sense for my purposes to assume lower quality.
The actual food producer does not have their name
on the product. It's a matter of simple common sense
and human nature that if they can fulfill their contract
with lesser quality stock -- saving the better stock for
their own label -- then they would do that. Wouldn't
you?

It gets even funnier as you go on with assumption. Do you think the
label on the can means it was produced and packed by them? Many of the
name brand items you buy are produced by the independents and third
party canners. Same big vat, many labels.

You've grown 3 truckloads of tomatoes. Shaws
wants to buy one for their store brand. One truckload
is a bit funky, from a poorly producing field, but certainly
good enough for market, while the other two truckloads
are extremely good. Do you send one of the better
truckloads to Shaws? (There's no such thing as identical
when it comes to fresh food.)

Depends on who I'm packing for today. Chances are, I'd mix the three
together and start canning.