Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.food-science
Francis C. Francis C. is offline

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

Cheryl wrote:

Maybe you're not to supposed to leave them in the sealed plastic bag
once taken home. Your control group seems to suggest that. The rest
was interesting, with the apples and all.

Well, the funny thing is that, in the past, I've unbagged the green
Costco bananas, and they never ripened. I also left them bagged,
and, they never ripened.

For a long while, I just stopped buying Costco bananas.

But then, I was at Costco on the last Sunday in March, and
I figured I'd buy them, and ASK YOU GUYS.

I do realize the paper bag was the suggested method, along
with the ripened fruits - but I had no paper bags, and not
enough bananas to do all the experiments - so I opted for
the simplest ... which was to put fruits in three of the
four bags.

So far, I've learned that the yellow Dole banana did almost nothing
to ripen the green DelMonte bananas; and I learned that a single
apple was a risk because it appears to depend on the apple.

So I juggled the apples yesterday - and threw away the yellow
Dole which had turned brown all over - and am currently just
waiting to see if the multiple apples will work.

I will report back in a few days...