Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

On 7/18/2014 1:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

I am leery of much of Costco fruit.

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their
produce, so now I buy at our Co-op. Expensive (all organic, which I
don't always require) but SO
fresh and good!

We also have 4 farmer's markets in town - Wednesday, Saturday (2) and
Sunday.
Again, not cheap, but guaranteed to be grown and sold by farmer -- no
middlemen.

Where I do NOT buy is Whole Foods. Expensive, Yuppy style. How fresh
is produce one doesn't know. And now they've been caught with their
pants down, charging for the container when weighing out purchase,
where it's supposed to automatically deduct weight of container. Huge
scandal.

HB

It isn't fresh. I bought things there a few times only to have them be
bad by the following day.

How fresh is fresh? Most of the crap in supermarkets is picked too soon
so it is shelf stable, but tasteless. Sure, the ripe stuff goes bad
faster but used in a timely fashion, it is full of flavor.

It has been years since I had a good banana. Melons from the farmer's
makrket are good, but the ones in supermarkets are nasty. The grapes
from Chile are picked too soon and not as sweet as they should be, but
they have to survive the long trip.