Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.food-science
Francis C. Francis C. is offline

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

DD_BobK wrote:

That over ripe Dole may have been you best ripening agent. Based on
the results so far, I'd give up on Costco bannanas

UPDATE:

The untouched DelMonte Costco control set of bananas finally ripened!

Today is the 12th of April, and they were bought green
on the 24th of March, which is 19 days elapsed time.

If we selected just the right (magic) apple, that time can be
dropped by two thirds - otherwise - a bunch of random apples
seemed to drop ripening time only by about a third.

The yellow Dole banana was nearly useless as a ripening
agent (which had to be removed when it turned totally brown).

In summary, the green Costco DelMonte bananas, if left alone,
will ripen in two to three weeks but will ripen in one to two
weeks if we put a few apples in the bag.