Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:42:09 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Mayayana" wrote:

I'm a devoted Trader Joe shopper, but I did get tired of their produce,

I try not to buy any produce there. It's usually

funky in some way. One can't go for quality and cheap

prices both. I also don't like the way these sell their

own brands. There's no way to know the source and

the source doesn't have to worry about their reputation.

How do you know there's no way to know the source. Have you ever asked?

A while back I was looking at the chicken at BJ's. They sell Perdue labeled

chicken and BJ's labeled chicken. I located the butcher and asked him what

the difference was. "Just the packaging, and of course, the price."

They get all of their chicken from Perdue, some of it pre-packaged by

Perdue, and some of it bulk, which they then package themselves and sell

for a lower price.

I NEVER NEVER buy"Southern chickens" -- with apologies to my Southern friends.
Perdue is a no-no, both because of dubious quality of product and bad treatment of employees, and because of their political stance. It's my money, and I'll spend it where I choose. Preferably where the growers do not brutalize the chickens. Happens in most states; the growers pay off legislators to oppose every effort to provide reasonable conditions for these helpless creatures.

If you ever chose to research that situation, you would be shocked.

Though I don't always buy "organic" I certainly prefer to buy local chickens from farmers that are allowed to sell at farmers markets because they follow best practices.

HB