Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

On 7/31/2016 12:27 AM, F Murtz wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 6:35:23 PM UTC-7, Francis C. wrote:
Whenever I buy Costco bananas, they never seem to ripen to yellow.
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214d...ae589dfc_1.jpg

What's the trick to ripening green bananas at home?

I have same experience. It took three weeks for the bananas to become
soft, not ripe. I put them in garage where the temp is usually 80 in
the afternoon. it does not work. I am guessing some chemicals or
fertilizer is the cause.

Probably ungassed, they ripen slower.

Sadly, most of the fresh fruits and veggies in supermarkets really are
under-ripe flavorless things picked to be able to ship thousands of
miles without damage.

Some of the strawberries are big and red and sure look pretty, but they
have no flavor. Peaches may or may not be edible when they finally
ripen. Sometimes they are mealy. Seedless watermelons have half the
flavor of the old long seeded ones we grew up with.

This time of year you can skip the suprmarket and head to the local
farmer's market and get real fresh food, just picked, full of flavor.