Posted to alt.home.repair

Default National Ammo Day

HeyBub wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:45 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value will
be minimal. Food and tools to get food will have far more value than
a pretty metal that is too soft to make tools to get food.

Posit: there's nothing new under the sun.

From that, the question arises:

"How long has it been since the last total meltdown of society?"

From that:

"How likely is a total meltdown of society in my lifetime?"

(especially since society is a lot more civilized than it used to be)

Or, possibly:

"Would I want to survive a total meltdown of society?"

I'm just not worried about it.

Cindy Hamilton

Well, let's see. There was the riot in Watts in 1992. There was total
anarchy in New Orleans in 2005.

So far this year:
2009 - Protests against BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant, January 7, 120
arrested, Oakland, California
2009 - College Fest riot, Kent State University, April 25, more than 50
arrested Kent, Ohio
2009 - Spring Jam/Dinkytown riot, University of Minnesota, April 25,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2009 - Palmer Fest melee, Ohio University, May 10, Athens, Ohio
2009 - 2009 G-20 Pittsburgh summit protests, Sept. 24-25, 193 arrested, $50K
in damage. Less lethal weapons used, including first use of sound cannon
against demonstrators in U.S.

And the year ain't over.

Stuff happens.

Zimbabwe is a rather educational example of how quickly and easily
things can go from relatively stable and prosperous to near anarchy and
subsistence farming. It's particularly important to note that this
example didn't involve religious or tribal ideologies either (obviously
racism is involved however).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

... On Nov 18, 9:45 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value will
be minimal. Food and tools to get food will have far more value
than a pretty metal that is too soft to make tools to get food.

Posit: there's nothing new under the sun.

From that, the question arises:

"How long has it been since the last total meltdown of society?"

From that:

"How likely is a total meltdown of society in my lifetime?"

(especially since society is a lot more civilized than it used to be)

Oh,like the LA riots several years ago?
Or the criminal ATF/FBI attack on the Branch Davidians.

Or, possibly:

"Would I want to survive a total meltdown of society?"

I'm just not worried about it.

Have you paid attention to what has happened in Zimbabwe in just the
last few years? It's very educational to see just how quickly it can
happen.

keep an eye on Venezuela.Chavez will do the same to his nation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

HeyBub wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:45 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value
will be minimal. Food and tools to get food will have far more
value than a pretty metal that is too soft to make tools to get
food.

Posit: there's nothing new under the sun.

From that, the question arises:

"How long has it been since the last total meltdown of society?"

From that:

[...]

Zimbabwe is a fine example of going from Western(British) rule to Marxist
rule. So is California.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:37:04 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. When I'm threatened at that
level, the human will instantly be viewed as a thing, no different from
paper target at the gun range. Hey - call me cold, but that's what has
happen sometimes.

I suppose that is why 90% of the Florida CCW course is on the legal
aspects of actually shooting someone.
It is a Pyrrhic victory if you keep someone from stealing your $1000
plasma TV and it costs you $20,000 in legal bills.

This assumes the body is found.

You start burying bodies in your yard and $20,000 won't cover your
legal bills. You might even get on Dateline.

Did you know that northern pike will eat ANYTHING?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. When I'm threatened at that
level, the human will instantly be viewed as a thing, no different from
paper target at the gun range. Hey - call me cold, but that's what has
happen sometimes.

I suppose that is why 90% of the Florida CCW course is on the legal
aspects of actually shooting someone.
It is a Pyrrhic victory if you keep someone from stealing your $1000
plasma TV and it costs you $20,000 in legal bills.

This assumes the body is found.

You start burying bodies in your yard and $20,000 won't cover your
legal bills. You might even get on Dateline.

Did you know that northern pike will eat ANYTHING?

So will pigs and wild boar, if you have access to either of those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 10:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
dgk wrote:

Joe, I suspect you will die of some other cause and never have to
shoot some mugger.

That could very well be, simply because he IS armed.

I've displayed my pistol three times in 13 years (twice in a Home Depot
parking lot!). In all three cases, I was being approached by a dissolute
wreck who refused my command to stop and come no closer. One had a tire iron
in his hand.

Jesus Christ! Where do you live? The only scary things I see in the
Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and
jewelry
to go to the hardware store.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 5:33*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:45 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value will
be minimal. Food and tools to get food will have far more value than
a pretty metal that is too soft to make tools to get food.

Posit: there's nothing new under the sun.

From that, the question arises:

"How long has it been since the last total meltdown of society?"

From that:

[...]

Looks like those melees all happened where people congregate. I tend
avoid groups of people.

And, honestly, I don't think a few college kids getting beered up and
losing
control constitutes "a total meltdown of society".

Of course, I remember '67 in Detroit. We could see the glow in the
sky
from our house. And I'm still not worried about a meltdown of
society.
The reason people were so shocked about the '67 riots was that society
had not melted down; 99.9% of us were completely normative in our
behavior.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

Joe, I suspect you will die of some other cause and never have to
shoot some mugger.

That could very well be, simply because he IS armed.

I've displayed my pistol three times in 13 years (twice in a Home Depot
parking lot!). In all three cases, I was being approached by a dissolute
wreck who refused my command to stop and come no closer. One had a tire iron
in his hand.

Jesus Christ! Where do you live?

I suspect it isn't his address, it is his teeny, tiny, little p. . .
er, pistol that is the determining factor.

Actually, in my part of the world, "displaying" a pistol is a good way
to get killed. Gang bangers will back off [maybe] but the minute
you turn your back, they will

The only scary things I see in the
Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and
jewelry
to go to the hardware store.

What's up with that? My local Lowes shares a parking lot with a
grocery store. You would think they would draw the same clientele.
I rarely see any overdressed ladies in the grocery store. But I see
plenty in the Lowes.

Jim
Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

Joe, I suspect you will die of some other cause and never have to
shoot some mugger.

That could very well be, simply because he IS armed.

I've displayed my pistol three times in 13 years (twice in a Home Depot
parking lot!). In all three cases, I was being approached by a dissolute
wreck who refused my command to stop and come no closer. One had a tire
iron
in his hand.

Jesus Christ! Where do you live? The only scary things I see in the
Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and
jewelry
to go to the hardware store.

Cindy Hamilton

================

Everyone knows that the quality of the neighborhood means nothing when it
comes to random crimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

Joe, I suspect you will die of some other cause and never have to
shoot some mugger.

That could very well be, simply because he IS armed.

I've displayed my pistol three times in 13 years (twice in a Home
Depot parking lot!). In all three cases, I was being approached by a
dissolute wreck who refused my command to stop and come no closer.
One had a tire iron in his hand.

Jesus Christ! Where do you live? The only scary things I see in the
Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and
jewelry
to go to the hardware store.

Cindy Hamilton

It could be that I was escorting an 18-year old, naked, blonde, female
carrying a bag of gold that attracted their attention.

As for the women in your neighborhood getting all "dolled up," remember the
maxim: "You tend to marry the people you're arround. Therefore, your job is
to figure out where the right kind of people are - and go there." Perhaps
these tarts really believe "It's so nice to have a man around the house..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

To paraphrase the politician, "all meltdowns of society are local." It is
irrelevant to me what is happening across town if a thousand people bearing
pitchforks and torches are on my front lawn.

There are mob scenes a half-off wedding gown sales - people die.

Here's one from just yesterday. Imagine the cops confronted with screeming,
hormonally-overdosed, teen-age girls. Thousands of them.

What did the cops do?

They arrested the owner of a mall music store for refusing to Tweet! Yep,
the owner busted for 'endangering the welfare of children,' 'obstructing
governmental administration,' and several other misdemeanors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091121/...en_mall_frenzy

Had I been in that melee, I could have been killed. Hopefully it would have
taken weeks, but I'd be dead nonetheless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

Joe, I suspect you will die of some other cause and never have to
shoot some mugger.

That could very well be, simply because he IS armed.

I've displayed my pistol three times in 13 years (twice in a Home Depot
parking lot!). In all three cases, I was being approached by a dissolute
wreck who refused my command to stop and come no closer. One had a tire iron
in his hand.

Jesus Christ! Where do you live? The only scary things I see in the
Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and
jewelry
to go to the hardware store.

Cindy Hamilton

So....you have never done errands on lunch hour or the way home from
work? Jeesh! Gotta go home after work, fix dinner, change clothes, run
the kids to sports practice and get to Lowes before closing time? )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 12:28*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete C." wrote nster.com:

George wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Even though I'm exempt from an NICS check, I make it a practice
to NEVER buy a gun from a dealer.

So, what do you do if you want a brand new gun?
NIB or new to me? For new-to-me, *I generally buy guns from
individuals at gun shows (the so-called "gun show loophole"). Of
these, there are two kinds: The guy who rented a table (~$100) to
facilitate his private buying and selling, and the guy walking
around with a gun in his hand (code for "stop me and ask how much
I'll take").

I've picked up a couple of guns at estate sales, but they're
generally over-priced.

Hint: If you represent a corporation, the corporation can buy a
gun without a background check. This is most useful for buying
fully-automatic weapons. When asked on the ATF form for the
purpose of obtaining a fully-automatic weapon, the appropriate
answer is "investment."

Other than the amusement of blowing $100 in ammo in a few seconds
on the range, why exactly would anyone want a full auto gun? In my
not so humble opinion, full auto is only good for wasting valuable
ammo.

Totally agree. It is amusing to shoot one once. Buying one is the
mine is bigger than yours thing bragging rights thing for people who
don't have a life. Same reason why people need giant McMansions and
giant fluffed up trucks used as a one passenger vehicle.

Er, I have a giant truck as a one passenger vehicle... I also tow and
haul stuff with it.

well,that "full-auto" NFA gun could also be a SELECT-FIRE gun,and be used
semi-auto,3rd burst,or full-auto.You could still enjoy shooting it.
and one could be very handy in a meltdown riot situation.Remember the
LA Watts riots?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Remember the LA Watts riots?

which ones? 1965 or 1992?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:18:45 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could have drawn a gun and shot a few of the rioting teenage
girls. That would have made bigger news.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091121/...en_mall_frenzy

Had I been in that melee, I could have been killed. Hopefully it
would have taken weeks, but I'd be dead nonetheless.

Maybe you could have drawn a gun and shot a few of the rioting teenage
girls. That would have made bigger news.

Hmm. With only 17 shots, plus five in the BUG*, I couldn't have made much of
a difference. Had the girls been nice and orderly, and standing in a LINE,
the bullets would, admittedly, go farther, but, still....

If, however, they could all keep their panties dry while I made a quick trip
to the truck...

--------
* BUG - Back Up Gun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 6:37*pm, "
wrote:

So....you have never done errands on lunch hour or the way home from
work? *Jeesh! *Gotta go home after work, fix dinner, change clothes, run
the kids to sports practice and get to Lowes before closing time? )

Well, I never wear makeup, but I have gone to Lowe's in a business
suit
on a weekday during the day, and very occasionally in the evening,
although
usually after work I go home, fix dinner, and stay in the rest of the
evening.
No kids.

However, on Saturdays, I'm usually sweaty and wearing some dirty,
stained
t-shirt and pants. And bitching about all of the "tourists" with
their kids when
I'm just there to buy some widget as efficiently as I can. That's
when I
can't fathom the broads in their fancy outfits. Don't they work right
alongside their husbands? I do. If I didn't, I'd feel like I wasn't
pulling
my weight.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
I'm just there to buy some widget as efficiently as I can. That's
when I
can't fathom the broads in their fancy outfits. Don't they work right
alongside their husbands? I do. If I didn't, I'd feel like I wasn't
pulling
my weight.

Cindy Hamilton

Welllll.....I work alongside my husband when absolutely necessary to
keep him from mucking up something that should look decent or might
cause the neighbors to complain. He can do a lot of stuff, and his
talent runs more to demolition or moving objects of more than two tons
in weight ) I NEVER go higher on a ladder than the second step,
except when the sign on second story of our condo needed to be painted.
No way was I going to let him slop green paint on the newly painted
white wall surrounding the sign. Did most of it with my eyes closed,
esp. the climbing part ) I don' t even go out on the neighbor's
balcony because it exceeds my height tolerance...the finger dock at low
tide is also a challenge )

My mom was a DIYer and had her own workshop when she passed away at age
82. My dad didn't have the patience to change a light bulb. Mom built
her own kitchen cabinets, among other things....and she would never,
ever, have gone shopping without makeup and normal lunch-with-the-girls
outfit. )

Hubby did a lot of work around the condo. One day he was working on
replacing a hose bib, which required all of the water to the entire
building to be shut off. I knew of one resident, in particular, who
would be mad as hell if the shut-off interrupted her
obsessive/compulsive schedule. I waited while he fiddled for four hours
trying to solder the new faucet. Finally went out and turned on the
faucet at the dock, which I knew was lower than the faucet he worked on.
Voila! No more water in his pipe, solder worked, all done ) He
knows how to bug the hell out of people and appear entirely innocent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Nov 23, 6:37 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

============

Do you live in Long Island (NY)? That's where I've seen what you're talking
about.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:12:52 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

dgk wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091121/...en_mall_frenzy

Had I been in that melee, I could have been killed. Hopefully it
would have taken weeks, but I'd be dead nonetheless.

Maybe you could have drawn a gun and shot a few of the rioting teenage
girls. That would have made bigger news.

Hmm. With only 17 shots, plus five in the BUG*, I couldn't have made much of
a difference. Had the girls been nice and orderly, and standing in a LINE,
the bullets would, admittedly, go farther, but, still....

If, however, they could all keep their panties dry while I made a quick trip
to the truck...

--------
* BUG - Back Up Gun.

I letter in the paper today asked why those kids hadn't been in school
where they were supposed to be. A reasonable question I guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
I'm just there to buy some widget as efficiently as I can. That's
when I
can't fathom the broads in their fancy outfits. Don't they work right
alongside their husbands? I do. If I didn't, I'd feel like I wasn't
pulling
my weight.

Cindy Hamilton

Do you live in Long Island (NY)? That's where I've seen what you're talking
about.

Long Island? Those dressed in fancy outfits were the hired help )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Observing National Ammo day?

--
Christopher A. Young