Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ammo prices for 7.62x39

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

having a sticker shock
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:51:14 -0500, Ignoramus2981
wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

having a sticker shock

Although I've heard folks at gun shows claiming that Obama is to
blame, I suspect it's more the paranoia of gun owners reacting to a
Democrat (Liberal, pinko) admin, and the subsequent cupidity of
dealers willing to take advantage of this fear.

I plan to wait on any ammo purchases until the Fear (and prices) has
subsided. Hope I'm right - it's not the Administration that I
distrust, but the Congress.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:
Although I've heard folks at gun shows claiming that Obama is to
blame, I suspect it's more the paranoia of gun owners reacting to a
Democrat (Liberal, pinko) admin, and the subsequent cupidity of
dealers willing to take advantage of this fear.

I plan to wait on any ammo purchases until the Fear (and prices) has
subsided. Hope I'm right - it's not the Administration that I
distrust, but the Congress.

There is an article in the Journal today about "gun investors". Those
are apparently those who lost a lot of money in their 401k's, and are
now buying guns as an investment, because "guns can only go up". Even
doctors are reportedly investing in ammunition, and that certainly is
a good signal to stay out of that arena.

Article is attached below for those without the benefit of WSJ
subscription.

My own comment on this is that I hope that more ammo will be imported
and prices will come down to earth, possibly with the fools dumping
that stuff that they stocked up on with such certainty. I still have
enough ammo stocked up from the good times, and will just wait.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123984046627223159.html

Fear and Greed Have Sales of Guns and Ammo Shooting Up
Buyers Foresee Anti-Weapon Legislation; Collectors Hope to Get Bang
for Their Bucks

By ALEX ROTH and BETSY MCKAY
[guns] Kendrick Brinson for The Wall Street Journal

Jay Chambers has been collecting guns for years as an
investment. Recent gun-ban worries have made inventory scarce, and
speculation of an assault-weapon ban has raised the prices and value
of his collection.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. -- The way Jay Chambers sees it, the semiautomatic
weapons in his firearm collection might be the most promising
investment in his financial portfolio.

Like many gun enthusiasts, Mr. Chambers, a manager for a door
wholesaler here, believes President Barack Obama and the Democrats in
Congress soon will reimpose a version of an expired federal ban on the
sale of so-called assault weapons. If such a law passes, he figures
his collection -- enough guns, ammo magazines and weapon parts to
assemble about 30 AK-47s, AR-15s and other semiautomatic rifles --
could triple in value.

"A guy could easily make a lot of money," says Mr. Chambers, 47 years
old, while at Autrey's Armory, a gun store about 20 miles south of
Atlanta.

Purchases of guns and ammunition are surging across the
country. Nearly four million background checks -- a key measure of
sales because they are required at the purchase of a gun from a
federally licensed seller -- were performed in the first three months
of 2009. That is a 27% increase over the same period a year earlier,
according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

No one knows exactly what is behind the gun-buying craze. Some buyers
say they are stocking up for themselves in anticipation of new
gun-control laws, while others say they're worried about deteriorating
public safety as the economy worsens.

But it's also clear that part of the gun-buying rally is driven by
people like Mr. Chambers who are buying weapons the way others invest
in a hot stock. The buying is pumping up prices. Many popular models
of guns are back-ordered for a year or more. Some manufacturers are
operating plants 24 hours a day. According to the 2009 edition of the
Blue Book of Gun Values, the average price of European-made AK-47s --
the famous Soviet-era military weapon now made in several countries --
doubled from $350 last September to more than $700 by the end of 2008.
Ammo Investments

Bert Collins, an Atlanta commercial real-estate manager, recently
bought two AR-15 rifles for about $1,600 each. He's keeping one in its
box, untouched, with the hope of selling it at a profit should
Congress re-enact the law, which expired in 2004. "It's certainly a
better investment than my 401(k) has performed," Mr. Collins said.

Bubba Sanders, owner of Bullseye Supply LLC, in Brandon, Miss., said
he has "a number of doctor clients whose financial advisers have told
them to invest in ammunition. Beats the hell out of money markets and
CDs. You can double your investment in ammunition in a year."

Many gun dealers are fanning the fear on the Internet and in other
advertising that President Obama will try to restrict the Second
Amendment right to bear arms -- despite signs that major changes in
federal weapons regulations are unlikely. The White House says there
are no imminent plans to reinstate the federal assault-weapons
ban. "The president supports the Second Amendment and respects the
tradition of gun ownership in this country," a White House spokesman
said.

Restoring the ban on assault weapons has limited support in Congress,
even among Democrats. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House
Speaker Nancy Pelosi have signaled reluctance in recent weeks to
renewing the ban.

During the federal ban between 1994 and 2004, the value of popular
firearms such as the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle -- a civilian version
of the M-16 used by the military -- soared. During that time, it was
illegal to manufacture weapons in the banned categories, but weapons
already in circulation could be resold. The law also prohibited stores
from selling ammunition magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds.
Inventory Scarce

As gun-ban worries have made inventory scarce, Joshua Works, president
of Mission Essential Inc., a large gun store in Hinesville, Ga., has
flipped some of his own stock for a profit. Last year, he says, he
sold a variant of an AK-47 for $400. He bought it back from the owner
in January for $550, then quickly sold the same gun again for
$750. AKs are a particularly good investment, he says. His company's
sales have risen about 30% since the election, he says.

Mr. Works ran ads on local television highlighting fears of a weapon
ban before and after the November election and says he's planning a
new spot that promotes guns as a good investment. "You can buy gold or
silver, but they go up and down," he says.

On a recent weekend, Ray Delashmutt, a 28-year-old flooring contractor
in Auxvasse, Mo., bought parts to build 15 AK-47 rifles. He says he
spent about $6,000 but figures he can eventually sell the 15 weapons
for at least twice as much. "Military weapons have always gone up in
value and those are the only guns I invest in," he said.
Ups and Downs

Of course, like all investments, guns do fluctuate in value. Weapons
whose prices rose during the previous ban fell once it was
lifted. "People I know in 2000 were buying Colts for $2,300 or
$2,400," says Dennis Williams, the owner of Guns & Leather Inc. in
Greenbrier, Tenn. "Now you can buy a new Colt for $1,400."

That the bubble could burst doesn't appear to be fazing buyers. "Right
now even used semiautomatic rifles are selling like crazy," says
Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of the
National Shooting Sports Foundation, which represents manufacturers
and retailers.

Randy Luth, the founder and president of DPMS Firearms LLC, in
St. Cloud, Minn., one of the country's largest manufacturers of AR
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

having a sticker shock

Although I've heard folks at gun shows claiming that Obama is to
blame, I suspect it's more the paranoia of gun owners reacting to a
Democrat (Liberal, pinko) admin, and the subsequent cupidity of
dealers willing to take advantage of this fear.

I plan to wait on any ammo purchases until the Fear (and prices) has
subsided. Hope I'm right - it's not the Administration that I
distrust, but the Congress.

I've certainly seen ammo shortages around here, however what is
available when shipments come in seems to be relatively reasonably
priced. Ammo costs did shoot up in the recent past due to the huge run
up in metals costs (lotta expensive lead and brass), however due to the
high sales turnover the ammo prices seem to have tracked the fall in
metals prices. For example, 9mm is very scarce around here, but I was
able to buy a sizable quantity of new name brand US 9mm for what works
out to about $11.50/50rd which isn't much more than it went for a number
of years ago as far as I remember. As for being able to get it, it was
simply a matter of being the first customer at the store on the morning
that a shipment arrived, and I happened to be going by at that time
anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or more
at best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus2981" wrote in message
Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

Brass reloads are illegal from the gov't now. Every single shot is
reclaimed, shredded and then melted down rather than refurbished. They
don't allow re-selling of spent shells any longer until they've been
decommissioned.

Since most ammo out there is in refurbished shells, the price has gone
through the roof as supplies of new shells are very much in demand.

....so say the rumor mills.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or more
at best.

I think that I should sell one gun that I do not need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors
themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I
know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault
rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even
at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or
more
at best.

I think that I should sell one gun that I do not need.

That would be my guess, but I have be wrong (many times) before. I just see
how hard the dealers have been pushing the hype ever since list spring or
summer. I have a good friend that's a gun dealer, and he has been ragging me
with Obama doom for a year now, but I'm just not buying it. I think the Dems
learned there lesson on the Brady bill.

I think the majority of people have come to realize that gun laws only
effect the law abiding people, and the law abiding people are not the
problem, not matter how well armed they may be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:51:14 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus2981
scrawled the following:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

Hey, YOU voted for Obama. Pin this one on his leanings and their
effect on the market. Was -this- one of the changes you wanted from
his presidency, Ig? I didn't think so, but change you got.

Enjoy!

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

[...]

I would not comment on the philosophical parables above, but I think
that by now everyone but the most irredeemable fools came to know that
anything that heavily promoted, be it real estate or guns, should not
be object of speculation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:51:14 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus2981
scrawled the following:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

Hey, YOU voted for Obama. Pin this one on his leanings and their
effect on the market. Was -this- one of the changes you wanted from
his presidency, Ig? I didn't think so, but change you got.

Well, if Obama does not enact any major anti-gun laws, but gun prices
rise due to gun investing fools, I think that it is proper to blame
gun investing fools and not Obama, and not myself for voting for
him. Now, if Obama does enact anti gun legislation, that would
certainly make him to blame.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
"Ignoramus2981" wrote in message
Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

Brass reloads are illegal from the gov't now. Every single shot is
reclaimed, shredded and then melted down rather than refurbished. They
don't allow re-selling of spent shells any longer until they've been
decommissioned.

Since most ammo out there is in refurbished shells, the price has gone
through the roof as supplies of new shells are very much in demand.

...so say the rumor mills.

Actually this was true, For about 5 DAYS. Then the hammer fell on the
morons who pushed that paper through and it was rescinded.

Seems they thought that the price of the scrap brass was worth more than
the price of them as cases. When the bottom feel out of the scrap prices
that rapidly changed.

The current pricing is ENTIRELY due to this administrations past records
and statements about banning firearms and enacting the ridiculous
restrictions that have been passed in other states.
Things like ammo registration and micro-stamping and such. I would not
be one bit surprised to see these items get pushed through as amendments
or even as single bill proposals.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Prolly has a lot to do with where it's shipped from; local taxes
and I'll bet a hefty hazmat fee for transport.
But if you need 1,000 rounds to hit your target you've got a bigger
problem, heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:
Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

Be glad you're not shooting 7.62x51. I paid
about $550/1000 for German NATO surplus and
I was happy to get it. I can't anymore.

In addition to the speculators and Obama fear
mongers buying up ammo, there's also an ongoing
demand for it in the sandbox. I don't think
the high prices will last forever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
[...]

It's not so much Obama but the Democrats that have ALWAYS been anti-gun now
feel empowered and they're gonna' try their best! (didn't you see this
coming?)

http://www.alphadogweb.com/firearms/Diane_Feinstein.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

having a sticker shock

=============
This is making th financial pages. See
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123984046627223159.html

We would all do well to remember that real estate is not the only
thing that can develop a "bubble."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:46:25 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus2981
scrawled the following:

On 2009-04-16, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
[...]

Consider the extra purchases insurance against his leanings. Whether
he bans any guns or not, he's a liberal Demonrat. The insurance covers
the purchaser, and as purchasers, we all pay the price because of it.

There was a cartoon recently showing Obama being cheered at the gun
manufacturer's dinner for single-handedly causing more guns to be sold
than any other recent salesman. Ironic, wot?

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

having a sticker shock

When what I feared didn't happen for the most part during the Clinton administration, I
ended up with a 'fair' supply of components. Fair enough that I'm sitting this panic out
for a while.

For some reason, I think the worry is worse this cycle than in Clintons terms.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

Well, if Obama does not enact any major anti-gun laws, but gun prices
rise due to gun investing fools, I think that it is proper to blame
gun investing fools and not Obama, and not myself for voting for
him. Now, if Obama does enact anti gun legislation, that would
certainly make him to blame.

I think Obama is savvy enough to stay away from gun control, at least for a few years. He
has to deal with his party that is dominated by some, shall we say, fairly left of center
types. To win a majority the Dems had to run some fairly moderate people to capitalize on
how freaking p*ss*d most conservative republicans were feeling against their own people.

Those Dems that were elected are the dampening rods now that are keeping the Democratic
party from going full left off of the rails.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market has been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market
has been ruined by investor types vs true gun collecters.

I have always been after guns that are practically usable, but
personally, I agree with you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

Well, if Obama does not enact any major anti-gun laws, but gun prices
rise due to gun investing fools, I think that it is proper to blame
gun investing fools and not Obama, and not myself for voting for
him. Now, if Obama does enact anti gun legislation, that would
certainly make him to blame.

I think Obama is savvy enough to stay away from gun control, at
least for a few years. He has to deal with his party that is
dominated by some, shall we say, fairly left of center types. To
win a majority the Dems had to run some fairly moderate people to
capitalize on how freaking p*ss*d most conservative republicans were
feeling against their own people.

Those Dems that were elected are the dampening rods now that are
keeping the Democratic party from going full left off of the rails.

I think that on the basis of political calculation, alone, gun ban is
not worth pursuing. Democrats got burned on it, I believe at least
twice in recent history. That said, I am not 100% sure that no gun
control will be enacted, but I think that it is not likely to be
enacted in any serious form.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I have always been after guns that are practically usable, but
personally, I agree with you.

Outside of hunting and self defense guns, I've been more interested by concepts and
execution. My dream would be to go back to the times of Paul Mauser and tour his factory.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that on the basis of political calculation, alone, gun ban is
not worth pursuing. Democrats got burned on it, I believe at least
twice in recent history. That said, I am not 100% sure that no gun
control will be enacted, but I think that it is not likely to be
enacted in any serious form.

I'm sure they will take a few nibbles. I'm also afraid that gun ownership will die a
death of a million cuts. I don't care for many of the trends in our society.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors

themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I

know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault

rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even

at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or

more
at best.

I think that I should sell one gun that I do not need.

Now is a good time to sell, that's for sure. There has been so much frenzied
buying lately that everything is in short supply. You should see the shelves
at my local Walmart's gun dept. They're empty. They've been empty for
several weeks too and the gun shows are doing great business too. What is
happening is the gun "bubble". The same thing that happened with stocks,
real estate, gasoline, and now guns and related components is happening
again. The outcome will also be similar. Once people figure out that they
went out and bought things they couldn't afford and that they have no real
need for the prices will plummet. So if you have anything to sell I'd say do
it now.

I am not bothered by the stupidity of the masses except that now there is
also a shortage of reloading components and there are virtually no primers
to be had right now and it's going to be a while before they are back in
stock. Without the primers you've got nothing. I wonder how many people have
figured that one out. Lucky for me I put some away because I haven't
forgotten the last time they were in short supply.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

As much as the right wingers would like you to believe it the Democrats are
not stupid, at least when it comes to keeping their seats. After Gore's loss
in 2000, which many blamed on his gun control position, a lot of Democrats
saw the light and realized that the only thing being anti gun did for them
was to cost them votes. You will notice that except for a few of the real
die hard liberals you don't hear anything negative about guns coming from
the rest of the Democrats. They learned that being anti gun is not a good
place to be when election day rolls around. You will also notice that many
of the Democrats that were elected last time are not like the old Democrats.
In fact, many of them have a lot of conservative views and especially the
ones from western states. The consequence is that you actually have quite a
few pro gun Democrats. Because of this you will not see any radical gun
control laws being passed even if Obama is for them. This will be because he
will have too much Democratic opposition. So the laws on guns won't change
much if at all. But the fear of a certain percentage of the population will
continue to feed the gun buying frenzy for at least a while longer.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:26:34 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market has been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

One example is last night's ad in the local rag for a Russian SKS for
only $700, no extras included at all. It's probably a beater, too.

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market has been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

One example is last night's ad in the local rag for a Russian SKS for
only $700, no extras included at all. It's probably a beater, too.

I wonder what these gun investors are thinking when they pay inflated
prices for these guns.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or more
at best.

Guns are in a bubble...just like houses were.

Prices won't even hold for five years.

In the future banks will be foreclosing on guns.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 9:42*am, Ignoramus2981

m...
On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or more
at best.

I think that I should sell one gun that I do not need.

Agreed...time to sell anything is when the bubble is rising.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

The rumor mill is wrong.

The ammo "shortage" is manufacturer made.

Just like the oil "shortage" was.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:39:50 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus14774
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market has been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

One example is last night's ad in the local rag for a Russian SKS for
only $700, no extras included at all. It's probably a beater, too.

I wonder what these gun investors are thinking when they pay inflated
prices for these guns.

A) Who knows?

B) Who cares?

I think I've seen that ad in there before at that price, so it doesn't
look like it's selling. I got my SKS for $100 here in GP, a Norinko.

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-17, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
I think I've seen that ad in there before at that price, so it doesn't
look like it's selling. I got my SKS for $100 here in GP, a Norinko.

I got mine for twice that, but it was made in a better place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, the author of that WSJ editorial is from "Competitive
Enterprise Institute", which is funded the likes of Exxon Mobil, Ford
Motor Company etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competi...rise_Institute

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 6:21*pm, Ignoramus14774 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14774.invalid wrote:
By the way, the author of that WSJ editorial is from "Competitive
Enterprise Institute", which is funded the likes of Exxon Mobil, Ford
Motor Company etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competi...rise_Institute

LOL..another winger propaganda article.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market
has been ruined by investor types vs true gun collecters.

One example is last night's ad in the local rag for a Russian SKS
for only $700, no extras included at all. It's probably a beater,
too.

I wonder what these gun investors are thinking when they pay inflated
prices for these guns.

A) Who knows?

B) Who cares?

I think I've seen that ad in there before at that price, so it doesn't
look like it's selling. I got my SKS for $100 here in GP, a Norinko.

Along about '93 or '94 a small-dealer guy we knew was selling pre-ban
Rissians for just a little more than that . Norinco's were selling around 80
bucks at that time ... those Russians still have bayonets on em ! A feller
could make a handsome profit on those arms right now - if he valued money
more than the ability to defend himself ...
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:18:25 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus14774
scrawled the following:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:07:52 -0500, the infamous "Terry Coombs"
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

[...]

Mine has the bayonet lug and I got a trionet from CDNN for $2 which
could be put on it if needed. I got a bunch of them for throwing.
They're $4 now. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sksspikbay.html

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-17, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
I think I've seen that ad in there before at that price, so it doesn't
look like it's selling. I got my SKS for $100 here in GP, a Norinko.

I got mine for twice that, but it was made in a better place.

Russia, eh? g

Yes, it looks either new or refurbished, I cannot tell.

OT Camping supplies and ammo metspitzer Home Repair 15 March 9th 09 03:51 AM
Ammo and powder storage C & E[_2_] Woodworking 8 February 17th 08 11:07 PM
refi ammo? [email protected] Home Ownership 8 June 8th 06 08:33 PM
JAPANESE AMMO CRATE J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 04:46 AM
What's an ammo can made out of [email protected] Metalworking 13 February 23rd 05 09:34 PM