Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ammo prices for 7.62x39

"Ignoramus14774" wrote in message
On 2009-04-17, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:26:34 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. The currio and relic market has

been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

One example is last night's ad in the local rag for a Russian SKS for
only $700, no extras included at all. It's probably a beater, too.

I wonder what these gun investors are thinking when they pay inflated
prices for these guns.

They're not thinking.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:39:50 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus14774
scrawled the following:

[ ... ]

I wonder what these gun investors are thinking when they pay inflated
prices for these guns.

A) Who knows?

B) Who cares?

I think I've seen that ad in there before at that price, so it doesn't
look like it's selling. I got my SKS for $100 here in GP, a Norinko.

Along about '93 or '94 a small-dealer guy we knew was selling pre-ban
Rissians for just a little more than that . Norinco's were selling around 80
bucks at that time ... those Russians still have bayonets on em !

The explanation that I got was that it was an "antique", which
is why the captive folding bayonets were allowed to stay. This only
applied to the Russian made SKS -- the others made elsewhere than in
Russia were too new to sneak through. :-)

Mine (bought about the same time through a friend who had a FFL
at the time) had (and still has) a *blued* bayonet. It was the only
blued one in that batch (some other co-workers bought at the same time),
and the only blued one which he had ever seen. How common is/was the
blued bayonet on the Russian SKS.

A feller
could make a handsome profit on those arms right now - if he valued money
more than the ability to defend himself ...

That blued bayonet is too pretty to sell. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

The explanation that I got was that it was an "antique", which
is why the captive folding bayonets were allowed to stay. This only
applied to the Russian made SKS -- the others made elsewhere than in
Russia were too new to sneak through. :-)

In ATF regs, guns are "Antique" if made before January 1, 1899. The
Russian SKS is classed as "Curio or Relic" because at the time of that
classification, they were very rare in the US. The Chinese SKS rifles
came in as sporting arms, after being imported with attached bayonets
for a while, the ATF said sporting arms don't have attached bayonets.
The importers first removed the bayonets and sold them separately,
then later sold them with the rifles, but not attached.

Romanian, Albanian and Yugoslav SKS rifles are also C&R and can be
imported and sold with bayonets attached. In fact, because they were
imported as C&R, they MUST be sold with bayonets.

Mine (bought about the same time through a friend who had a FFL
at the time) had (and still has) a *blued* bayonet. It was the only
blued one in that batch (some other co-workers bought at the same time),
and the only blued one which he had ever seen. How common is/was the
blued bayonet on the Russian SKS.

I sold a bunch from several wholesalers from '93 to '96, maybe 1 in 10
had a blued bayonet. These were replacements installed when the rifles
were rebuilt in Russia.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R.Birch wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

Also they tend to change point of impact if you remove the bayonet.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-20, David R.Birch wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

O.K. Thanks for the corrections.

Mine (bought about the same time through a friend who had a FFL
at the time) had (and still has) a *blued* bayonet. It was the only
blued one in that batch (some other co-workers bought at the same time),
and the only blued one which he had ever seen. How common is/was the
blued bayonet on the Russian SKS.

I sold a bunch from several wholesalers from '93 to '96, maybe 1 in 10
had a blued bayonet. These were replacements installed when the rifles
were rebuilt in Russia.

And thanks for the rough percentage of blued bayonets. That
tells me how rare mine is not. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:55:34 -0500, Ignoramus2981

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:
Although I've heard folks at gun shows claiming that Obama is to
blame, I suspect it's more the paranoia of gun owners reacting to a
Democrat (Liberal, pinko) admin, and the subsequent cupidity of
dealers willing to take advantage of this fear.

I plan to wait on any ammo purchases until the Fear (and prices) has
subsided. Hope I'm right - it's not the Administration that I
distrust, but the Congress.

There is an article in the Journal today about "gun investors". Those
are apparently those who lost a lot of money in their 401k's, and are
now buying guns as an investment, because "guns can only go up". Even
doctors are reportedly investing in ammunition, and that certainly is
a good signal to stay out of that arena.

Article is attached below for those without the benefit of WSJ
subscription.

My own comment on this is that I hope that more ammo will be imported
and prices will come down to earth, possibly with the fools dumping
that stuff that they stocked up on with such certainty. I still have
enough ammo stocked up from the good times, and will just wait.

Indeed.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:18:26 -0400, Wes wrote:

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF? There
is no anti-gun legislation that was adopted yet, it can still be
imported, etc, why such a crazy price? That stuff used to cost under
$100 for a thousand, if I remember right.

having a sticker shock

When what I feared didn't happen for the most part during the Clinton administration, I
ended up with a 'fair' supply of components. Fair enough that I'm sitting this panic out
for a while.

For some reason, I think the worry is worse this cycle than in Clintons terms.

Wes

Of course it is. Clinton, while a schmuck, wasnt a Marxist.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:01:35 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

having a sticker shock

When what I feared didn't happen for the most part during the Clinton administration, I
ended up with a 'fair' supply of components. Fair enough that I'm sitting this panic out
for a while.

For some reason, I think the worry is worse this cycle than in Clintons terms.

Wes

Of course it is. Clinton, while a schmuck, wasnt a Marxist.

Il est un marxiste, modèle Groucho.

Gunner

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:34:14 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:01:35 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

having a sticker shock

When what I feared didn't happen for the most part during the Clinton administration, I
ended up with a 'fair' supply of components. Fair enough that I'm sitting this panic out
for a while.

For some reason, I think the worry is worse this cycle than in Clintons terms.

Wes

Of course it is. Clinton, while a schmuck, wasnt a Marxist.

Il est un marxiste, modèle Groucho.

ROFLMAO!! Es verdad!

Gunner

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 4:26*pm, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:
I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. *The currio and relic market has been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

Could you expand on how the curio and relic market have been ruined by
the investor types versus true gun collectors?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 9:42*am, Ignoramus2981

m...
On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:

I'm betting most of it is hype from the gun dealer and investors themselves,
just like the recent real estate years. As such, there is going to be
disappointment gun investors soon as well.

If attempts at new gun laws miss their mark, which I suspect, a lot of
people investing now are going to loose money in even the short run. I know
people that have committed as much as 150k to the purchase of assault rifles
assuming they will soon be illegal. Many of them paying top dollar even at
today's prices. I'm betting prices will hold for the next 10 years or more
at best.

I think that I should sell one gun that I do not need.

I think that the timing is good for sellers.

I am making a considerable amount of profit selling at this time.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

I think that people developed a bubble mentality, jumping from one
bubble to another. Doctors stockpiling ammo as an investment? No
further proof needed.

I'm sure there is investors in this. *The currio and relic market has been ruined by
investor types vs true gun collecters.

One example is last night's ad in the local rag for a Russian SKS for
only $700, no extras included at all. It's probably a beater, too.

I wonder what these gun investors are thinking when they pay inflated
prices for these guns.

Just like any other bubble, their thinking is clouded by greed and
fear.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default marxiste, modèle Groucho was Ammo prices for 7.62x39

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:24:16 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

For some reason, I think the worry is worse this cycle than in Clintons terms.

Wes

Of course it is. Clinton, while a schmuck, wasnt a Marxist.

Il est un marxiste, modèle Groucho.

ROFLMAO!! Es verdad!

I saw that in a report on the student uprisings in Paris, back in
1968. Apparently, so many Marxist variants were tagging walls, the
comédiens d'anarchiste got in the act. "Everybody wants to get into
the act" as the late Great Jimmy Durante used to say.

tschus
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2981 wrote:

My own comment on this is that I hope that more ammo will be imported
and prices will come down to earth, possibly with the fools dumping
that stuff that they stocked up on with such certainty. I still have
enough ammo stocked up from the good times, and will just wait.

My only concern is with a change of leadership down the road, our domestic ammo
manufacturers find a population with such a glut of ammo on hand that the manufacturers
can't sell enough ammo to stay in business.

There could be a bust cycle for our ammo firms.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

My own comment on this is that I hope that more ammo will be imported
and prices will come down to earth, possibly with the fools dumping
that stuff that they stocked up on with such certainty. I still have
enough ammo stocked up from the good times, and will just wait.

My only concern is with a change of leadership down the road, our
domestic ammo manufacturers find a population with such a glut of
ammo on hand that the manufacturers can't sell enough ammo to stay
in business.

You are 100% right.

The boom and bust cycle is going to be very tough on ammo
manufacturers.

It will be somewhat attenuated by two simultaneous wars going on at
the same time, requiring a lot of domestically produced ammo.

There could be a bust cycle for our ammo firms.

I hope that they saved some money from the latest ammo craze.

If 7.62x39 ammo gets down to $130-150 per thousand rounds, I will buy
2-3k rounds just in case.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

My own comment on this is that I hope that more ammo will be imported
and prices will come down to earth, possibly with the fools dumping
that stuff that they stocked up on with such certainty. I still have
enough ammo stocked up from the good times, and will just wait.

My only concern is with a change of leadership down the road, our domestic ammo
manufacturers find a population with such a glut of ammo on hand that the manufacturers
can't sell enough ammo to stay in business.

There could be a bust cycle for our ammo firms.

Wes

That is part of the reason for the current shortage, the makers are not
increasing tooling and capacity so they don't end up with too much debt
and fixed costs at the end of the boom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 29, 3:15*pm, Ignoramus7752
On 2010-01-29, Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Thu, 16 Apr 2009
07:51:14 -0500, Ignoramus2981, wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF?

* Nine months has certainly made a difference. *Wolf is
now $240/1000. *I guess the "investors" have sufficient
stockpiles.

I stocked up a few years ago for $90/1000 rounds boxes. Still have a
lot left.

Hopefully the "investors" will soon be unloading that ammo to free up
basement space for the next fad (crocodile skins maybe?), so I hope
the prices will fall down further. I would like to get at least 3,000
more rounds, just in case.

Not to stir the hornet's nest or anything, but, just in case what?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-29, Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Thu, 16 Apr 2009
07:51:14 -0500, Ignoramus2981, wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF?

? Nine months has certainly made a difference. ?Wolf is
now $240/1000. ?I guess the "investors" have sufficient
stockpiles.

I stocked up a few years ago for $90/1000 rounds boxes. Still have a
lot left.

Hopefully the "investors" will soon be unloading that ammo to free up
basement space for the next fad (crocodile skins maybe?), so I hope
the prices will fall down further. I would like to get at least 3,000
more rounds, just in case.

Not to stir the hornet's nest or anything, but, just in case what?

Just in case if gun haters ban ammunition, or in case if Great Cull
actually begins. Or if the price goes up again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-29, Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Thu, 16 Apr
2009
07:51:14 -0500, Ignoramus2981,
wrote:

Went to cheaperthandirt.com to replenish some supplies, and was
shocked to see that 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 now costs $499. WTF?

? Nine months has certainly made a difference. ?Wolf is
now $240/1000. ?I guess the "investors" have sufficient
stockpiles.

I stocked up a few years ago for $90/1000 rounds boxes. Still have a
lot left.

Hopefully the "investors" will soon be unloading that ammo to free up
basement space for the next fad (crocodile skins maybe?), so I hope
the prices will fall down further. I would like to get at least 3,000
more rounds, just in case.

Not to stir the hornet's nest or anything, but, just in case what?

Just in case if gun haters ban ammunition, or in case if Great Cull
actually begins. Or if the price goes up again.

Keep stocking up, Iggy. They'll be coming over the hill any day now.

Tell your friends to stock up, too -- preferably with US-made ammo. Get them
to cash in some bonds and take out a loan. Buy, buy, buy... d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:06:21 -0600, Ignoramus7752

On 2010-01-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

[...]

It should be noted that the ammo manufactures DID NOT increase the size
of their plants, but simply ran 2-3 shifts a day. Which was VERY smart.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:15:39 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On 2010-01-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

[...]

Right, putting more Americans to work than The Great O ever has.

Gunner

What's with your emails lately? 2 down and you're using a 3rd now?

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

[...]

Nope. I let my ISP go. Earthlink/Lightspeed was costing me $25 per month
that I really didnt need to spend in these economically fragile times.
So as I explained earlier...I simply let it go. It was painful...like
losing a friend..shrug. But when I get free internet via a friend across
the street..the only thing his ISP doesnt have is Usenet..which is 90%
of the reason I have the internet. Its my "afterwork beer or two", my
"group of friends", my stress reliever....so while its costing me $5 a
month, its cheaper than two beers..which Im allergic to anyways.

I still have my hotmail account, my yahoo mail account and several
others, but gmail has several gigabytes available for me to use. and
decent spam and virus scanners.

So I only lost my account when I stopped paying
for it.

It was a dialup account and I turned off my home phones 5 months ago,
because we have cell phones, and we only used dialup for internet. And
now we get HIGH SPEED and dont have to live with 56k connections.

By turning off both the ISP and the home phone..we are saving over $50
a month alone.

The first couple months were mind blowers for us when we found out just
what high speed could actually do for us.

On 2010-01-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2981 wrote:

[...]

And you are, most certainly violationg the ISP's TOS. ****ing thief
that you are.

OT Camping supplies and ammo metspitzer Home Repair 15 March 9th 09 03:51 AM
Ammo and powder storage C & E[_2_] Woodworking 8 February 17th 08 11:07 PM
refi ammo? [email protected] Home Ownership 8 June 8th 06 08:33 PM
JAPANESE AMMO CRATE J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 04:46 AM
What's an ammo can made out of [email protected] Metalworking 13 February 23rd 05 09:34 PM