Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default National Ammo Day

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

HeyBub wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:45 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value
will be minimal. Food and tools to get food will have far more
value than a pretty metal that is too soft to make tools to get
food.

Posit: there's nothing new under the sun.

From that, the question arises:

"How long has it been since the last total meltdown of society?"

From that:

"How likely is a total meltdown of society in my lifetime?"

(especially since society is a lot more civilized than it used to
be)

Or, possibly:

"Would I want to survive a total meltdown of society?"

I'm just not worried about it.

Cindy Hamilton

Well, let's see. There was the riot in Watts in 1992. There was total
anarchy in New Orleans in 2005.

So far this year:
2009 - Protests against BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant, January
7, 120 arrested, Oakland, California
2009 - College Fest riot, Kent State University, April 25, more than
50 arrested Kent, Ohio
2009 - Spring Jam/Dinkytown riot, University of Minnesota, April 25,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2009 - Palmer Fest melee, Ohio University, May 10, Athens, Ohio
2009 - 2009 G-20 Pittsburgh summit protests, Sept. 24-25, 193
arrested, $50K in damage. Less lethal weapons used, including first
use of sound cannon against demonstrators in U.S.

And the year ain't over.

Stuff happens.

Zimbabwe is a rather educational example of how quickly and easily
things can go from relatively stable and prosperous to near anarchy
and subsistence farming. It's particularly important to note that this
example didn't involve religious or tribal ideologies either
(obviously racism is involved however).

Zimbabwe is a fine example of going from Western(British) rule to Marxist
rule. So is California.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik