_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us

Default Lee Valley duct tape: Red Green joke?

In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape.
I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in the "for
patching a holed canoe". You remember, when Red Green and his buddies
wanted to go out on the lake, and discovered that the canoe hadn't
been stored behind the back stop at the gun range, instead it was the
back stop! So it required some duct tape (the handyman's best friend)
to repair the holes in it. Furthermore, they were out of duct tape
(this is where it gets scary). And then, the last roll of emergency
duct tape (stored in one of these fire-alarm style boxes with a glas
front) turns out to have hardened to dust, at which point panic
ensues.

Actually, I'm not even sure that this is a deliberate Red Green joke
on LEe Valley's part; it might be a coincidence.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should atleast find you
handy. And remember to keep your stick on the ice.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
f/256

wrote in message

If the women don't find you handsome, they should atleast find you
handy. And remember to keep your stick on the ice.

Red Green's Possum Lodge Man's Prayer:

I am a Man....But I can change.....If I have to....I guess

Swingman

wrote in message

Actually, I'm not even sure that this is a deliberate Red Green joke
on LEe Valley's part; it might be a coincidence.

LV's catalogs most always have a humorous line or two ... you gotta pay
attention, though.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

George

"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote in message
http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is he
talking about..'
-Brian

We have television, don't you?

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:27:29 -0500, George george@least wrote:

"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote in message
http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is he
talking about..'
-Brian

We have television, don't you?

I'm still wondering what being a Yankee means in this context, and how
that would change knowing about Red Green?
Luigi Zanasi

On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 1:17 am, Silvan scribbled:

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is
he talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee,

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the Gulf
of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee. (North of the
Rio Grande and South of the 49th parallel for those who are further
west.)

but I was still wondering what the hell the OP was
talking about. After looking at the link, I still am, really. It
doesn't
really tell much about what I presume to be a TV show.

You need to waste less time reorganizing your shop and, instead, spend
it more constructively watching the boob tube.

Keep your stick on the ice!
--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
Luigi Zanasi

On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 5:06 am, Owen Lawrence scribbled:
The house I bought came with forced air heating, and I'm noticing with
amusement that all of the duct tape the previous owner used to patch
it with
is drying out and coming off. I'll be replacing it with aluminum tape
pretty soon. Maybe in the spring. In the meantime my workshop is
nice and warm.

The guy at the local sheet metal shop said duct tape is good for
everything except ducts.

--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
yknet dot ca
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape.
I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in the "for
patching a holed canoe". You remember, when Red Green and his

buddies
wanted to go out on the lake, and discovered that the canoe hadn't
been stored behind the back stop at the gun range, instead it was the
back stop!

Whenever I go out in a canoe I take a roll of duct tape along
to patch any holes that 'appear' in the canoe while out and
about. Uncle Red didn't just make that up.

--

FF

TaskMule

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape.
I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in the "for
patching a holed canoe". You remember, when Red Green and his

buddies
wanted to go out on the lake, and discovered that the canoe hadn't
been stored behind the back stop at the gun range, instead it was the
back stop!

Whenever I go out in a canoe I take a roll of duct tape along
to patch any holes that 'appear' in the canoe while out and
about. Uncle Red didn't just make that up.

--

FF

Correct, has nothing to do with the RG show. Real duct tape or real gaffer
tape is often used to patch canoes during river trips.

Bob Haar

On 2005/1/19 1:46 PM, "
wrote:

In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape.
I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in the "for
patching a holed canoe".

While Red Green has lots of humor centered around the use of duct take, I am
not sure that this is a reference to that particular one. I have been one
plenty of canoe trips where we took duct tape for emergency repairs , and
one where we really needed it.

Dave Balderstone

In article . com,
wrote:

Whenever I go out in a canoe I take a roll of duct tape along
to patch any holes that 'appear' in the canoe while out and
about. Uncle Red didn't just make that up.

I was on a canoe trip in Grade 6 (a LONG time ago) and we had to make
do with white bandage tape and the grease from the canned meat when we
tore the canvas on one canoe. Oh yeah, tape, grease and bailing...

Duct tape would have been a blessing.

Silvan

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is he
talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee, but I was still wondering what the hell the OP was
talking about. After looking at the link, I still am, really. It doesn't
really tell much about what I presume to be a TV show. About all I could
glean at a glance is that the CBC has a hand in whatever this is. Whatever
the CBC is. (OK, I know what the CBC is, but you can't expect most
Americans to get that reference.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:
Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is
he talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee, but I was still wondering what the hell the
OP was talking about. After looking at the link, I still am, really.
It doesn't really tell much about what I presume to be a TV show.
About all I could glean at a glance is that the CBC has a hand in
whatever this is. Whatever the CBC is. (OK, I know what the CBC is,
but you can't expect most Americans to get that reference.)

Most of the shows are better TV than "Teen Nudes on Ice." The early years
especially had a very biting humor. During a recent "Best Of" as part of
their 11-month "Friends of PBS 'Friend Raising'" event PBS aired some very
early Red Green episodes. I watched in horror as Red attempted to cut a
piece of ply on a tablesaw without a fence. He didn't get hurt because
(IIRC) he was feeding from the backside.

I've only seen a few early shows. My impression is the early shows had
"Knife in the Ribs" satirical humor. The later seasons settled down to "Men
are stupid but we're great with duct tape" humor but still worth watching.

-- Mark

put \RP\ in front of the 77469 to reply

On 19 Jan 2005 15:50:01 -0800, wrote:

wrote:
In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape.
I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in the "for
patching a holed canoe". You remember, when Red Green and his

buddies
wanted to go out on the lake, and discovered that the canoe hadn't
been stored behind the back stop at the gun range, instead it was the
back stop!

Whenever I go out in a canoe I take a roll of duct tape along
to patch any holes that 'appear' in the canoe while out and
about. Uncle Red didn't just make that up.

Ayup. A buddy and I turned his 17' Grumman aluminum canoe into a flattened banana shape in a rapid
called "the Silos" on the New River in WV back in the 70's. Ripped a 10 inch gash below the water
line and flattened the bow to the point I couldn't get my legs under the front seat anymore. We
were some 15 miles to the takeout point. No duct tape. We shot the remaining 20+ rapids to the
takeout leaning very heavily to the right to try to keep the rip out of the water.

We drove back to Athens, down to the middle school playground, unloaded it from the VW bug he used
as a transport vehicle and stuck the damaged end into the playground sandpile. Judicious use of an
8 pound sledge on a hunk of firewood (obligatory wood reference to keep this on topic) pounded it
eventually back into a canoe shape. We had the sense to drill holes at each end of the rip before
starting this beating and pounding. You should have seen some of the looks we got from the
passers-by. I guess it is not every day you see a couple of scroungy-looking college kids drinking
beer on a school playground while seemingly taking turns trying to drive a chunk of firewood through
the bottom of a canoe.

Anyway, we got the whole shebang back into canoe shape and slapped a hunk of duct tape on it. My
friend sold it later that year when he upgraded to a Mad River canoe. The guy who bought the
Grumman evidently graduated in a year or so and moved west. Years later my friend was visiting some
other buddys in Bozeman Montana. As they stood talking on the street, here came a Grumman canoe
down the road with an old Ohio registration sticker on it, and a very faded chunk of duct tape in
the same area we had patched.

George

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
. ..
On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 5:06 am, Owen Lawrence scribbled:
The house I bought came with forced air heating, and I'm noticing with
amusement that all of the duct tape the previous owner used to patch
it with
is drying out and coming off. I'll be replacing it with aluminum tape
pretty soon. Maybe in the spring. In the meantime my workshop is
nice and warm.

The guy at the local sheet metal shop said duct tape is good for
everything except ducts.

Original purpose was close to the canoe patch, IIRC. US Navy liked it
because it would seal even when wet.

When those crummy headblock straps they sell (dearly) for backboards get
lost or too bloody to consider using, I use duct tape to secure a patient's
head. Slow peel doesn't even pull hair too badly.

Swingman

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message ...
Silvan scribbled:

I ain't no damn Yankee,

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the Gulf
of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee.

Apples and crabapples ... note carefully Michael's use of the all important
adjective.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Lawrence L'Hote

wrote in message
In the recent Lee Valley flyer, they advertise heavy duty duct tape.
I wonder how many people got the Red Green joke in the "for
patching a holed canoe".

Stop me if I've told about this incident here before. Two years ago, I had
occasion to take a plane trip to Reno on United. During the refreshment
break the attendents beverage cart banged into the seat across the aisle
from me and tore off a piece of plastic molding and it was left sticking out
into the passageway ready to snag the next passenger. I spoke to the next
flight attendent that passed and remarked to her, "you need some of that
duct tape you all use on the wings to hold that piece of molding back out of
the way." This was a few weeks after that national news story
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...79/detail.html
had aired. Anyway the indignant attendent said "we DON"T use duct tape on
our planes wings! but I will have to check with the captain about using
that roll of duct tape we have back there. We are only to use that tape to
restrain passengers." Less than 10 minutes later she came by with the tape
and fixed the snag(more-or-less) and remarked, "the captain gave me the okay
to use the tape."

Larry

Duane Bozarth

Silvan wrote:

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is he
talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee, but I was still wondering what the hell the OP was
talking about. After looking at the link, I still am, really. It doesn't
really tell much about what I presume to be a TV show. About all I could
glean at a glance is that the CBC has a hand in whatever this is. Whatever
the CBC is. (OK, I know what the CBC is, but you can't expect most
Americans to get that reference.)

Any who ever watch a PBS station certainly should...

Check out your local PBS affiliate...most (at least out of major metro
areas, I don't know about NYC-type places that consider themselves
"cultured" ) have been airing Red Green for the last few years...

To my taste, parts of his schtick are pretty good, others are pretty
lame, but each will have their own opinion...
George

This was a few weeks after that national news story
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...79/detail.html
had aired. Anyway the indignant attendent said "we DON"T use duct tape

on
our planes wings! but I will have to check with the captain about using
that roll of duct tape we have back there. We are only to use that tape

restrain passengers."

High-speed tape is used to cover minor sheet-metal problems all the time. I
remember one of our birds "awaiting phase" which had a six-foot crack near
the wing root, taped and "FAI" for a couple hundred hours.

Lee Michaels

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Silvan wrote:

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:

[...]

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Red Green's dismal safety record.
Some of his skits look like thinly disguised suicide attempts. I will never
forget one episode where he used a small, benchtop tablesaw. He was
actually throwing peices at it and the saw blade was catching it and
throwing it all over the place. Very scary.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:55:00 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Red Green's dismal safety record.
Some of his skits look like thinly disguised suicide attempts.

Only some of them?

I will never
forget one episode where he used a small, benchtop tablesaw. He was
actually throwing peices at it and the saw blade was catching it and
throwing it all over the place. Very scary.

I liked the one where he turned a car into a camper, complete with
a grill where the grille would be, and a toilet built into the
trunk. He made a really cool beer-bottle clock once, too.

The guy's a genius, without a doubt. Not one to be emulated, but
a genius.
Luigi Zanasi

On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 1:37 pm, Swingman scribbled:
"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message ...
Silvan scribbled:

I ain't no damn Yankee,

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the
Gulf of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee.

Apples and crabapples ... note carefully Michael's use of the all
important adjective.

Ah! So he's a Yankee, not a damn Yankee. I get it now.

--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
yknet dot ca
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Duane Bozarth

Lee Michaels wrote:
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Red Green's dismal safety record. ...

Chill, man!!!!

He's got all his fingers (and as far as I know, toes ) and I've never
seen the hint of a bandage...I suspect those shots are pretty well made
up to look much more scary than they really are.

He's not running a "how-to" show, after all.
Silvan

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Any who ever watch a PBS station certainly should...

Well, on the first hand, I don't watch TV, and least of all PBS. I tuned in
to watch one Norm show and started a brush fire that is probably still
raging in the land of misfit ignored threads somewhere. (I haven't been a
regular PBS watcher for yearrrrs, but I am an avid NPR listener, if anyone
cares. So muchso that it's really weird when I do get a glimpse of TV and
see what some of these people look like for a change. I couldn't believe
how goofy looking Wesley Clark was, for example.)

Check out your local PBS affiliate...most (at least out of major metro
areas, I don't know about NYC-type places that consider themselves
"cultured" ) have been airing Red Green for the last few years...

And on the second hand, I just checked out the PBS affiliate that covers a
good third of my state, and there ain't no Red anything except Clifford the
Big Red Dog. So I'm completely exhonerated for never having heard of
it.

On the gripping hand, I'd probably rather watch Nude Teens on Ice. Or at
least Nude Twenty-Somethings on Ice. Or hell, Nude MILFs on Ice. Or even
Nude BBWs on Ice. As long as it's got nekkit wimminz it can't be all bad.
Failing nekkit wimminz, a good show about how something mechanical works
will do.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is
he talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee,

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the Gulf
of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee. (North of the
Rio Grande and South of the 49th parallel for those who are further
west.)

Nope. To everyone south of the Rio Grande, I'm a gringo.

really tell much about what I presume to be a TV show.

You need to waste less time reorganizing your shop and, instead, spend
it more constructively watching the boob tube.

Feh. Even if I wanted to watch the idiot light, I don't own the remote
control. It's always tuned to something stupid. Some lame ass Japanese
cartoon where the Glimofipowkinatux is going to be eaten by the Glomo Yum
Yum Hello Kitty Monster, or else some chick flick on the femi-nazi network
where some wimminz is conspiring to separate her husband/boyfriend from his
penis with a butcher knife and/or hatchet. (Upon hearing which SWMBO just
uttered "Whee HAW!" and waved her hand in the air threateningly. Oh ****.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Not a Red Green joke or original idea for that matter. It's just common
sense. I've always carried duct tape on any trip in the bush. Essential

I usually carry something slippery, not sticky, when I'm making a trip in
the bush.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:26:40 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

On the gripping hand, I'd probably rather watch Nude Teens on Ice. Or at
least Nude Twenty-Somethings on Ice. Or hell, Nude MILFs on Ice. Or even
Nude BBWs on Ice. As long as it's got nekkit wimminz it can't be all bad.
Failing nekkit wimminz, a good show about how something mechanical works
will do.

they never said nude teen *what*......

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:38:04 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is
he talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee,

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the Gulf
of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee. (North of the
Rio Grande and South of the 49th parallel for those who are further
west.)

Nope. To everyone south of the Rio Grande, I'm a gringo.

only near the border with mexico. further south and all US citizens
are Yankees....

Dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
I usually carry something slippery, not sticky, when I'm making a trip in
the bush.

Yer on a roll tonite! MPT Maryland Public Television) carries Red
Green, March 2 at 9PM is the next show.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
f/256

"Silvan" wrote in message
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

http://www.redgreen.com/ for the Yankees thinking 'what the hell is
he talking about..'

I ain't no damn Yankee,

As far as 95% of the world is concerned, if you live north of the Gulf
of Mexico and south of the Great Lakes, you're a Yankee. (North of the
Rio Grande and South of the 49th parallel for those who are further
west.)

Nope. To everyone south of the Rio Grande, I'm a gringo.

Only if your skin is the color of a white chicken skin!

Silvan

f/256 wrote:

Nope. To everyone south of the Rio Grande, I'm a gringo.

Only if your skin is the color of a white chicken skin!

Like I said, soy un gringo.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Jaime

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:54:40 +0000, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

The guy at the local sheet metal shop said duct tape is good for
everything except ducts.

This is true. Even Mike Holmes ( Holmes on Homes) says this often
enough in his program.

When I learned that I replaced all the duct tape holding my dryer
ductwork together with the necessary metal tape.

Dan Valleskey

Didn't catch the whole thread here- forgive me if I am a bit off
topic-

The guy that put my furnace in, at the old house, also did a good bit
of duct work. As he was cleaning up, he took great pains to show me
how his joints were so tight he didn't need duct tape. Never used a
bit of it. He did, however, seal some seams with RTV silicone.

-Dan V.

wrote:

The guy at the local sheet metal shop said duct tape is good for
everything except ducts.

This is true. Even Mike Holmes ( Holmes on Homes) says this often
enough in his program.

When I learned that I replaced all the duct tape holding my dryer
ductwork together with the necessary metal tape.

Jaime

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:31:17 -0500, Dan Valleskey valleskey at
comcast dot net wrote:

The guy that put my furnace in, at the old house, also did a good bit
of duct work. As he was cleaning up, he took great pains to show me
how his joints were so tight he didn't need duct tape. Never used a
bit of it. He did, however, seal some seams with RTV silicone.

It is nice to see a person who takes great pride in his work. :-)