Eugene

J T wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in525523.shtml

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't know
they were this far advanced.

JOAT
People without "things" are just intelligent animals.

Superglue is also a very effective bandage and is now used in some plastic
surgery according to Discovery Health Channel. My father was stapled after
his surgery a coupe weeks ago. If he hadn't had the staples removed this
Monday I was going to stop at officemax/officedepot and pick up a staple
remover and mail it to him

Lew Hodgett

"J T" writes:

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't know
they were this far advanced.

What?

You don't follow the updates from the American Duct Tape Counsel?G

You can do almost anything with duct tape.

Check out Garrison Keillor on the Prairie Home Companion some time.

Always has lots of duct tape info.

Lew

mark

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...

"J T" writes:

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't know
they were this far advanced.

What?

You don't follow the updates from the American Duct Tape Counsel?G

You can do almost anything with duct tape.

Except seal up a cardboard box for shipping. I tried that one night -- by
the next morning, all the tape was lying in a pile on the floor. Very weird.

justme

J T wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in525523.shtml

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't know
they were this far advanced.

JOAT
People without "things" are just intelligent animals.

It is not as effective as stump water and flinging a dead cat.
By the way, the same duct tape and emery board regimen on your stomach
for 2 months would probably make your belly button disappear.

J. Clarke

J T wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in525523.shtml

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't know
they were this far advanced.

There was a duct-tape medicine scene in "The Aviator" FWIW. Seems after he
crashed his buddies patched Howard Hughes up with duct tape and when he got
home Kate Hepburn had some comments about his reactions as she removed it
to do proper repairs.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Lobby Dosser

Eugene wrote:

J T wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in525523.shtml

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't
know
they were this far advanced.

JOAT
People without "things" are just intelligent animals.

Superglue is also a very effective bandage and is now used in some
plastic surgery according to Discovery Health Channel. My father was
stapled after his surgery a coupe weeks ago. If he hadn't had the
staples removed this Monday I was going to stop at
officemax/officedepot and pick up a staple remover and mail it to him

IIRC, superglue started in surgery?

Duane Bozarth

Lobby Dosser wrote:
IIRC, superglue started in surgery?

I thought it was another of the NASA materials spin-offs???? (But I have
no reference)
GregP

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:23:03 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

IIRC, superglue started in surgery?

In Vietnam.
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:55:43 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
IIRC, superglue started in surgery?

I thought it was another of the NASA materials spin-offs???? (But I have
no reference)

Cyanoacrylate was discovered during WWII. It was actually a mistake, the
person who formulated it was trying to use it to bind lenses temporarily --
the CA glue he came up with formed a permanent bond, he was tremendously
annoyed and afraid he had ruined two very good expensive lenses. This info
was on a web page I read a number of years ago, I don't have a link -- you
might try using google for more details.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

J. Clarke

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
IIRC, superglue started in surgery?

I thought it was another of the NASA materials spin-offs???? (But I have
no reference)

WWII vintage. There's a very brief history at
http://www.livejournal.com/users/scottobear/1332113.html that matches my
recollection (I recall the "I've Got A Secret" episode vaguely, and the
stuff _was_ known as "Eastman 910" and hideously expensive for a very long
time, presumably until the patent expired).

There's a longer one at
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html--note that the first
reference listed is the "Kingsport Times-News"--seems like a kind of odd
source, some hole in the wall local newspaper, but Kingsport is the town
where the Eastman labs in which it was invented are located and presumably
has good access to the Eastman staffers.

There is some specific information about the medical uses at
http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic375.htm--note that the surgical glues
are octyl- and butyl- cyanoacrylate while the hardware-store glues are
usually methyl-cyanoacrylate.

The Inventors' Hall of Fame entry for Harry Coover, who made the initial
discovery, is at http://www.invent.org/hall_of_fame/221.html.

If you Google "cyanoacrylate coover" you'll get 183 hits, including some
from Coover's college and various other sources.