Old November 26th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan. It does not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant, and that speaks very highly for quality control. The saw was perfect in all respects. I could not be happier.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...de-240968-.htm

Old November 26th 20, 08:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2020 12:45 PM, marvin wrote:
I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan.* It does
not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant,
and that speaks very highly for quality control.* The saw was perfect in
all respects.* I could not be happier.

Don't confuse quality control with quality -- one can produce an
inferior product with a very tightly controlled process just as well as
a good one. All ISO 9001 guarantees is the control of the process, not
the product design.

Old November 26th 20, 08:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 13:05:52 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/26/2020 12:45 PM, marvin wrote:
I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan.* It does
not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant,
and that speaks very highly for quality control.* The saw was perfect in
all respects.* I could not be happier.

Don't confuse quality control with quality -- one can produce an
inferior product with a very tightly controlled process just as well as
a good one. All ISO 9001 guarantees is the control of the process, not
the product design.

Yep. Quality control means that you can accurately maintain a
standard, not that the standard is particularly high. In fact if the
standard is fairly low then it's easier to maintain.

Example of quality control--I once had all four headlights on a Toyota
I had bought new burn out within four hours of each other after 4
years of ownership. In that case I could have dealt with a little bit
less quality control because it took place between 1 and 5 am in the
middle of nowhere and I ended up stuck sitting by the side of the road
with no lights until the sun came up.

McDonalds has phenomenal quality control. A burger you get from
McDonalds in East Overshoe will be identical to one you get in
Hollywood. That's quality control. You won't get that consistency
from a five-star gourmet restaurant, but their worst will still be a
lot better than McDonalds' best.
Old November 27th 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2020 1:05 PM, dpb wrote:
On 11/26/2020 12:45 PM, marvin wrote:
I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan.* It does
not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant,
and that speaks very highly for quality control.* The saw was perfect
in all respects.* I could not be happier.

Don't confuse quality control with quality -- one can produce an
inferior product with a very tightly controlled process just as well as
a good one.* All ISO 9001 guarantees is the control of the process, not
the product design.

--

Take Ford for example.... I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues. Stupid issues

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K. And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating. That started at about 7500 miles.

Some where around the time the oil consumption went away, I put in a can
of top engine cleaner when I filled up with gas. Now the valve clatter
is gone.

And a few other items that the dealer fixed.

Old November 27th 20, 04:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 2:51:39 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

You obviously don't eat at McDonald's enough.

Maybe if they served the burgers while they were still frozen they
would be identical, but once they cook/season/wrap them, there
are differences in all three categories - not just across town and
not just at different times, but often in the same bag.

Old November 27th 20, 06:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8. Which engine do you
have? I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient. I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol. What say you?

Happy TG,
Bill
Old November 27th 20, 06:31 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 00:04:53 -0500, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8. Which engine do you
have? I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient. I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol. What say you?

Note that there is a service bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169811-0001.pdf
Old November 27th 20, 12:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8. Which engine do you
have? I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient. I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol. What say you?

Note that there is a service bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169811-0001.pdf

Gee, thanks for the heads-up! Is that sort of "maintenance" covered
under warranty? I printed it out, and I'll pay attention to the day
of manufacture mentioned: 10/4/2019. It doesn't sound like a "fatal"
problem, but it's nice to be aware of the issue.
Old November 27th 20, 02:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

That kind of thing is an annoyance. I have a Jeep that used to suck
up oil like crazy. Turns out that in that case they had fastened a
plate in the intake system with bolts the wrong length so it didn't
seal. Took a couple of days to get all the stuff off the top of the
engine, replace the bolts and gasket, and put it all back together.
And of course since it's sucking oil like crazy it's easy for it to
get low, which isn't good for anything.
Old November 27th 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2020 11:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8.* Which engine do you
have?* I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient.* I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol.** What say you?

Happy TG,
Bill

Actually the normally aspirated 5.0 V8

This is my first Ford ever. My wife and I were looking for a very
comfortable truck to travel in. Since August 2019 we gave been from
Houston Tx to Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio on one trip and last month to
Roanoke Va.
This truck is VERY comfortable, King Ranch.

I had a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 V8.
That truck spoiled me. The engine was the best I ever had in any
vehicle. Its gas mileage was good for a 2007 in 2007, not so good
today. BUT wow that truck would det up an do. The low rear end gear
ratio wand the culprit for the low gas mileage but give it the punch.

My current F150 has a much taller rear end gear ratio and has less punch
but we get a legitimate 19 MPG on the highway. The dash computer says
21-22 but comes out to a real 19.

The oil consumption issue is a common complaint for 2018~2020 IIRC. I
think it is just a very slow break in period. Once the consumption went
away and a fuel additive to rid the carbon build up the not clattering
for 7K.

FWIW an oil change requires 8.8 quarts... That might be an indicator
that break in takes a long time.

Would I buy again? Hard to say. The Tundra seemed to be a much tougher
truck. The aluminum body on the Ford seems kinda thin in the bed.