Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:47:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 11:45:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 18:45:02 +0000, marvin
wrote:

I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan. It does not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant, and that speaks very highly for quality control. The saw was perfect in all respects. I could not be happier.

ISO9000 has nothing to do with quality. It's all about process. You
can make a crappy product, as long as you follow the process to make
it. ISO9000 = Make one crappy product then make them all crappy.

Perfect timing for a "poor design" discussion.

I loaded up my 2 month old Bosch dishwasher with a bunch of turkey dishes last night. Hit start,
closed the door and got nothing but a red flashing light. That means "Nope, I ain't going to start."
Normally I would hear a beep and the red light would be on solid.

No error codes, no indication of what was actually wrong. Standard reset procedures didn't help.

A bit frustrated, I closed the door a little harder and heard the beep, then got the flashing light. Well,
that's one step closer. I pushed the door in harder while it was closed, got the beep again, the light
came on solid and the dishwasher started.

OK, so I'm standing there keeping the door fully closed by hand and saying to myself "Do I really
want to stand here for 2 1/2 hours?" Nope! So how can I keep the door closed and at least get
through this load. I don't want to let go because the DW is working right now.

Then I realized that there is a cabinet directly across from the DW, about 3 feet away, door facing door.
I called out for SWMBO who took over the holding while I ran downstairs. I grabbed 2 towels, a 3'
length of 1x stock and wedged the wood between the cabinet and the DW, using the towels as
padding. Success! The DW kept running.

Then I went out on the web and did some searching. It turns out that the door latch has been an
issue with Bosch DW's for many years, across many models. The issue is that when you screw
the "safety tabs" into the bottom of the counter type, it bows the top of the frame and the door latch
may not fully engage. In many cases, like mine, things are fine for a few months and then the problem
shows up. The DIY fix is to put shims between the countertop and the DW frame right above the
latch. Shim until pushing up in the area of the latch doesn't produce any flex in the frame.

I did that this morning and the door is now latching and beeping with every close just like it was new.

We have a KitchenAid dual fuel oven/range. We just replaced the
element ($600). The night before Thanksgiving it decided to do the
opposite - kept heating forever, no thermostat control. No error code
but online troubleshooting sites suggested the motherboard ($1000).

The oven's electronics does have a habit of losing itself but usually
gives an error code. The troubleshooting guide says to p0wer off at
the breaker, wait 30sec, power back on fixes the problem. Fortunately
it did this time too. But an error like this to make a
troubleshooting guide?

Kitchenaid, like Bosch, isn't exactly a "contractor grade" appliance.
But they are ISO9000!