Old November 27th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

On 11/26/2020 11:31 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 00:04:53 -0500, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8. Which engine do you
have? I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient. I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol. What say you?

Note that there is a service bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169811-0001.pdf

Yes I heard of that bulletin just after the oil consumption dropped. I
understand from an owner on YouTube the the new dipstick has a wider
range between full and the add oil mark.

Old November 27th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8.* Which engine do you
have?* I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient.* I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol.** What say you?

Note that there is a service bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169811-0001.pdf

Gee, thanks for the heads-up!* Is that sort of "maintenance" covered
under warranty?* I printed it out, and I'll pay attention to the day
of manufacture mentioned: 10/4/2019.* It doesn't sound like a "fatal"
problem, but it's nice to be aware of the issue.

I would not call that maintenance so much as a dip stick replacement
that has a larger acceptable range of oil volume.

It is just something you should keep an eye on during break in.
Old November 27th 20, 04:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

That kind of thing is an annoyance. I have a Jeep that used to suck
up oil like crazy. Turns out that in that case they had fastened a
plate in the intake system with bolts the wrong length so it didn't
seal. Took a couple of days to get all the stuff off the top of the
engine, replace the bolts and gasket, and put it all back together.
And of course since it's sucking oil like crazy it's easy for it to
get low, which isn't good for anything.

More than an annoyance in some instances. 2 quarts of oil low between
oil changes could cause engine damage if you don't stay on top of the
oil level. And with the carbon build up as a result, the engine
clattered bad enough that there was considerable hesitation when
accelerating during the engine clatter episodes.
Old November 27th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 18:45:02 +0000, marvin
wrote:

I just got my 17 Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan. It does not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant, and that speaks very highly for quality control. The saw was perfect in all respects. I could not be happier.

ISO9000 has nothing to do with quality. It's all about process. You
can make a crappy product, as long as you follow the process to make
it. ISO9000 = Make one crappy product then make them all crappy.
Old November 27th 20, 05:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

I thought "break in" went away with leisure suits.

Old November 27th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Wide enough to make 3 years or 36,000 miles?
Old November 27th 20, 05:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:25:16 -0600, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 11/26/2020 11:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example....* I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues.* Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the
odometer hit about 14K.* And probably as a result, valve clatter when
accelerating.* That started at about 7500 miles.

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8.* Which engine do you
have?* I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel
efficient.* I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not
comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or
both..lol.** What say you?

Happy TG,
Bill

Actually the normally aspirated 5.0 V8

I assume you mean fuel injected. I have the 5.0 V8 in my 2013 F150.
There was nothing like a "break in" period. It really hasn't changed
much since (better with winter blends).

This is my first Ford ever. My wife and I were looking for a very
comfortable truck to travel in. Since August 2019 we gave been from
Houston Tx to Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio on one trip and last month to
Roanoke Va.
This truck is VERY comfortable, King Ranch.

I had a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 V8.
That truck spoiled me. The engine was the best I ever had in any
vehicle. Its gas mileage was good for a 2007 in 2007, not so good
today. BUT wow that truck would det up an do. The low rear end gear
ratio wand the culprit for the low gas mileage but give it the punch.

My current F150 has a much taller rear end gear ratio and has less punch
but we get a legitimate 19 MPG on the highway. The dash computer says
21-22 but comes out to a real 19.

The oil consumption issue is a common complaint for 2018~2020 IIRC. I
think it is just a very slow break in period. Once the consumption went
away and a fuel additive to rid the carbon build up the not clattering
for 7K.

FWIW an oil change requires 8.8 quarts... That might be an indicator
that break in takes a long time.

Would I buy again? Hard to say. The Tundra seemed to be a much tougher
truck. The aluminum body on the Ford seems kinda thin in the bed.

I wouldn't be happy with an aluminum anything. It's hard to "bang
out" and overly susceptible to dings. IMO, it makes no sense as a
truck bed.
Old November 27th 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Do you know where I can get a longer dip stick for my van?

Mine doesn't reach the oil anymore.
Old November 27th 20, 06:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan. It does not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant, and that speaks very highly for quality control. The saw was perfect in all respects. I could not be happier.

ISO9000 has nothing to do with quality. It's all about process. You
can make a crappy product, as long as you follow the process to make
it. ISO9000 = Make one crappy product then make them all crappy.

Perfect timing for a "poor design" discussion.

I loaded up my 2 month old Bosch dishwasher with a bunch of turkey dishes last night. Hit start,
closed the door and got nothing but a red flashing light. That means "Nope, I ain't going to start."
Normally I would hear a beep and the red light would be on solid.

No error codes, no indication of what was actually wrong. Standard reset procedures didn't help.

A bit frustrated, I closed the door a little harder and heard the beep, then got the flashing light. Well,
that's one step closer. I pushed the door in harder while it was closed, got the beep again, the light
came on solid and the dishwasher started.

OK, so I'm standing there keeping the door fully closed by hand and saying to myself "Do I really
want to stand here for 2 1/2 hours?" Nope! So how can I keep the door closed and at least get
through this load. I don't want to let go because the DW is working right now.

Then I realized that there is a cabinet directly across from the DW, about 3 feet away, door facing door.
I called out for SWMBO who took over the holding while I ran downstairs. I grabbed 2 towels, a 3'
length of 1x stock and wedged the wood between the cabinet and the DW, using the towels as
padding. Success! The DW kept running.

Then I went out on the web and did some searching. It turns out that the door latch has been an
issue with Bosch DW's for many years, across many models. The issue is that when you screw
the "safety tabs" into the bottom of the counter type, it bows the top of the frame and the door latch
may not fully engage. In many cases, like mine, things are fine for a few months and then the problem
shows up. The DIY fix is to put shims between the countertop and the DW frame right above the
latch. Shim until pushing up in the area of the latch doesn't produce any flex in the frame.

I did that this morning and the door is now latching and beeping with every close just like it was new.
Old November 27th 20, 07:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

We have a KitchenAid dual fuel oven/range. We just replaced the
element ($600). The night before Thanksgiving it decided to do the
opposite - kept heating forever, no thermostat control. No error code
but online troubleshooting sites suggested the motherboard ($1000).

The oven's electronics does have a habit of losing itself but usually
gives an error code. The troubleshooting guide says to p0wer off at
the breaker, wait 30sec, power back on fixes the problem. Fortunately
it did this time too. But an error like this to make a
troubleshooting guide?

Kitchenaid, like Bosch, isn't exactly a "contractor grade" appliance.
But they are ISO9000!