Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw metrics

The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt.
Now the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is
held on the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench
because the wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have
accumulated in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either
order a socket to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw.
Got to love those far-thinking Chinese.
--
 GW Ross

 If you keep an open mind, people will
 throw a lot of garbage in it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now
the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on
the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the
wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated
in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket
to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got
to love those far-thinking Chinese.

You could have put a link belt on just cut the old off, and link it on,
then put it around the motor sheave. Link belts while a little noisier
are way nicer vibration wise.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now
the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on
the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the
wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated
in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket
to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

A six point 1 1/8" might work (common), a 1 1/16" is closer but harder
to find. A 1" might be worth a try. Some of the impacts run a little large.

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

I've spent a lot of time lately in pawn shops looking through bins of
sockets, depressing...

Jeff

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got
to love those far-thinking Chinese.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non
standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their
replacement installation.

I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old
faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.

Synchronized obsolescence.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff Thies wrote in :

On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now
the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on
the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the
wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated
in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket
to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

A six point 1 1/8" might work (common),

Doubtful. 26mm is less than 1 1/32".

a 1 1/16" is closer but harder to find.

Where are you shopping, that you have trouble finding a 1 1/16" socket?

A 1" might be worth a try. Some of the impacts run a little large.

More likely to work than 1 1/8"...

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

16mm and 5/8 inch are basically interchangeable. The difference is less than 0.005".

I've spent a lot of time lately in pawn shops looking through bins of
sockets, depressing...

You can buy 16mm sockets at Sears.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non
standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their
replacement installation.

I hate Moen, and a few others. Delta seems to be pretty good for parts.

I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old
faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.

I had to get parts for my Dad's (now gone) Kohler bathroom faucet. 70 +
years old, and they had them...

Synchronized obsolescence.

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/14 6:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now
the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on
the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the
wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated
in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket
to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got
to love those far-thinking Chinese.

I always had good luck finding large sockets at the local auto part
chain store (Auto Zone). Prices are tolerable for something you may only
use once and it beats waiting for an order to arrive.
-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 9:36 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 2/9/2014 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non
standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their
replacement installation.

I hate Moen, and a few others. Delta seems to be pretty good for parts.

Delta has a few tiers of quality, so you need to be aware of what you're
buying, most particularly when purchasing from the Home Depot, Lowes, et al.

It it's cheap, you are buying "cheap", not inexpensive. There's a big
difference.

I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old
faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.

I had to get parts for my Dad's (now gone) Kohler bathroom faucet. 70 +
years old, and they had them...

One of the good things about using Kohler, as a builder, is that I can
leave the documentation with the homeowner in a "House Book", and
specifically let them know that Kohler generally keeps parts for years
for discontinued fixtures, which they will ship to you free of charge.

Kohler customer service is still relatively responsive compared to other.

Synchronized obsolescence.

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they are worse, just
with more features, and thereby more complicated, which indeed causes
its own set of problems.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 11:35 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2014 9:36 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 2/9/2014 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non
standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their
replacement installation.

Like trying to buy a replacement mop head a year later.

I hate Moen, and a few others. Delta seems to be pretty good for parts.

Delta has a few tiers of quality, so you need to be aware of what you're
buying, most particularly when purchasing from the Home Depot, Lowes, et
al.

Didn't know that, but it makes sense. I tend not to trust anything from
HD. Unfortunately it is the closest and I can bring stuff home hanging
out my car window and not worry...

It it's cheap, you are buying "cheap", not inexpensive. There's a big
difference.

The one I bought for the rental's kitchen came with a lifetime
guarantee. I thought, pretty good for $75. Maybe it means less than I
thought. I always ask what to stay away from and the sales people always
have definite opinions on that! One should never knowingly buy trouble.

I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old
faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.

I had to get parts for my Dad's (now gone) Kohler bathroom faucet. 70 +
years old, and they had them...

One of the good things about using Kohler, as a builder, is that I can
leave the documentation with the homeowner in a "House Book", and
specifically let them know that Kohler generally keeps parts for years
for discontinued fixtures, which they will ship to you free of charge.

Nice.

Kohler customer service is still relatively responsive compared to other.

Synchronized obsolescence.

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they are worse, just
with more features, and thereby more complicated, which indeed causes
its own set of problems.

I see that we are in the age of touchless faucets. Last trip out I saw
several selling for big markdowns.

On the other hand my bathroom faucet, circa 1929, is still going.
Nothing complicated in that! And metal outlasts plastic.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 20:44:29 -0500, G. Ross wrote:

Of all the sockets I have accumulated in the past 50 years, there is no
26 mm socket. I either order a socket to fit the nut or cut off the
flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got
to love those far-thinking Chinese.

I've run into similar socket problems on power tools and on motorcycles.
So far, all of the sizes I've needed (and I'm sure one was a 26mm) I've
found at Harbor Freight. Not the highest quality, but these are not
tools I'm going to use every day

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 11:26 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

On the other hand my bathroom faucet, circa 1929, is still going.
Nothing complicated in that! And metal outlasts plastic.

And washers are cheap.

Then again, kitchens and bathroom are what sell houses, and women are
the tail that wags that dog.

Couldn't tell by me, but some kitchen and bath faucets/fixtures are
apparently sexier than others ... mostly directly proportional to the
price, and inversely proportional to longevity.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have
jumps from 15 to 17...

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non
standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their
replacement installation.

I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old
faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.

Synchronized obsolescence.

I'm afraid this goes way back and wasn't invented in Asia.

Back in the early Seventies I managed to shear off the threaded portion
of a microphone stand (in a particularly foolish way) and decided to see
if I could avoid buying a new one.

There was a tool & die place just up the block from my parents' house. I
showed it to the guy, who - although there'd probably have been no
profit in it - said he could rethread it quickly for just a few bucks.

I said that would be great. He took out a gauge of some kind and tried
to match it up with the mating threads. Nope, too coarse. He grabbed the
next one. Nope. Too fine. With a puzzled look he explained that 27
threads per inch was what was needed, apparently unique to the mike
stand trade. And still the case, I believe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 12:26 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Big difference in locks too. See schlage at HD or Lowes, then goto a
locksmith. in the big box the bolt is basically white metal, at a
locksmith they will be solid brass usually

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 2:29 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

And that is where a thread file comes in handy:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ad-repair-file

note the 27.

Requires patience, and perhaps drinking.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2014 2:40 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

1. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know such a tool existed.

2. It wouldn't have helped. Although usually behind a keyboard, I was
getting a rare turn out front as the lead singer, back when I felt I was
qualified. For a dramatic, if cliched, ending, I would jump up in the
air (to my full vertical leap of a few inches) and the band would accent
the last note when I came down. One night I came down on the cast iron
base of the stand while holding the top of the stand in my hand.
Luckily is was the stand that broke, rather than my ankle. The threaded
bit broke away from the pipe completely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they
are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated, which
indeed causes its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:06:20 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/9/2014 11:26 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

On the other hand my bathroom faucet, circa 1929, is still going.
Nothing complicated in that! And metal outlasts plastic.

And washers are cheap.

Then again, kitchens and bathroom are what sell houses, and women are
the tail that wags that dog.

Couldn't tell by me, but some kitchen and bath faucets/fixtures are
apparently sexier than others ... mostly directly proportional to the
price, and inversely proportional to longevity.

How many kitchens and baths last 85 years, anymore? *LONG* before
that, they're gutted and replaced with the new toys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 16:44:52 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they are worse, just
with more features, and thereby more complicated, which indeed causes
its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

I remember some relatives back in the 1940s who were very proud of their
new indoor plumbing. The hand pump was in the kitchen :-).

--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they
are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated,
which indeed causes its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

And the old reliable out-house too. These danged modern conveniences...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they
are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated,
which indeed causes its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

And the old reliable out-house too. These danged modern conveniences...

From bandsaw to outhouse. This is quite a warped thread.

--
 GW Ross

 Free advice is worth what you pay for
 it

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they
are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated,
which indeed causes its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

And the old reliable out-house too. These danged modern
conveniences...

From bandsaw to outhouse. This is quite a warped thread.

Yeah... ain't it cool!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they
are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated,
which indeed causes its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

And the old reliable out-house too. These danged modern
conveniences...

From bandsaw to outhouse. This is quite a warped thread.

Yeah... ain't it cool!

I think it speaks to the diversity of this group. Maybe we could get
Federal Funding...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote...

"Swingman" wrote in message

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they are worse, just
with more features, and thereby more complicated, which indeed causes
its own set of problems.

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door

I remember some relatives back in the 1940s who were very proud of their
new indoor plumbing. The hand pump was in the kitchen :-).

My grandfather bought his farm with money earned in the shipyards during
WWII. He cut trees, peeled them and provided them to the electric company
so he could have electricity to the house. They installed the poles and ran
wire to his house. He then went to work wiring the house.

His first project? He wired the outhouse. That way he did not have to fire
up the kerosene lantern to use the facilities. The bathroom came a couple
years later. People traveled from miles around to witness this new, modern
wonder. Just imagine! An outhouse with an electric bulb burning just
inches from you head while you were using it. It was considered very modern
at the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

And, how many old homes have trashed the plaster and
replaced with ****rock? Plaster has a feel, texture and
density that can't be replicated. And nobody has mold
problems with it as it has no cellulose.

But it (probably) has wood lath and wood rots. For that matter, never seen
mold on a block wall? I have,many times, no cellulose there either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

And, how many old homes have trashed the plaster and
replaced with ****rock? Plaster has a feel, texture and
density that can't be replicated. And nobody has mold
problems with it as it has no cellulose.

But it (probably) has wood lath and wood rots. For that matter,
never seen mold on a block wall? I have,many times, no cellulose
there either.

To be fair - I've torn out a lot of plaster and lathe walls in upstate NY
and never once have I encountered rot. I know - now that I've said that
someone will point to a case in some abscure set of circumstances, that they
found it. My point is - it next to don't happen.

That said - I see nothing particularily endearing about plaster and lathe.
Why would someone want those almost close to kinda sort flat and smooth
walls when "****rock" does it much better? I personally don't care about
the density of plaster. But I do understand that some people just simply
like the older stuff. To me - that's preference thing and there is no real
argument in favor of plaster.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2014 10:31 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

And, how many old homes have trashed the plaster and
replaced with ****rock? Plaster has a feel, texture and
density that can't be replicated. And nobody has mold
problems with it as it has no cellulose.

But it (probably) has wood lath and wood rots. For that matter,
never seen mold on a block wall? I have,many times, no cellulose
there either.

To be fair - I've torn out a lot of plaster and lathe walls in upstate NY
and never once have I encountered rot. I know - now that I've said that

There's a reason for that. The old homes were pretty airy. So they got
lots of air to dry them out. With todays push to close the house off
they would get very moldy. BTW is the Green thing really good. There
seems to be more environmental issues with a closed off house it doesn't
breathe and gets moldy, over a less tight house.

someone will point to a case in some abscure set of circumstances, that they
found it. My point is - it next to don't happen.

That said - I see nothing particularily endearing about plaster and lathe.
Why would someone want those almost close to kinda sort flat and smooth
walls when "****rock" does it much better? I personally don't care about
the density of plaster. But I do understand that some people just simply
like the older stuff. To me - that's preference thing and there is no real
argument in favor of plaster.

And then we have the stupid Architects that still don't realize that in
a northern area it's better to put bathrooms on inside walls rather than
outside walls. My bathroom is in the corner of the house.. The shower is
freezing in the mornings.. It's so prone to mold on the back of the
shower that when I redo the bathroom I expect to find tons of mold on
the outter part of the shower and sheathing. It's ok to have one wall,
but why wouldn't you put the closet on the outside wall and the bathroom
on the inner, yes one wall would still have an outside wall. The shower
and sinks should be located on inside walls not an outside wall, that
would solve the mold issue.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

And then we have the stupid Architects that still don't realize that
in a northern area it's better to put bathrooms on inside walls
rather than outside walls. My bathroom is in the corner of the
house.. The shower is freezing in the mornings.. It's so prone to
mold on the back of the shower that when I redo the bathroom I expect
to find tons of mold on the outter part of the shower and sheathing.
It's ok to have one wall, but why wouldn't you put the closet on the
outside wall and the bathroom on the inner, yes one wall would still
have an outside wall. The shower and sinks should be located on
inside walls not an outside wall, that would solve the mold issue.

Well hell - that's easy Jeff... Because most Architects are men and men
think that some day they can convince the wife that they need to put a
window in that shower - for mold remediation purposes, of course...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now
the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on
the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the
wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated
in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket
to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got
to love those far-thinking Chinese.

Another incident comes to mind.

I bought a bike for my daughter a number of years back. The assembly
instructions listed the tools that would be needed; including an
adjustable wrench. I'm no grease monkey, but I have basic sets of
sockets in English and Metric sizes. I figured the "adjustable wrench"
recommendation was for those poor benighted souls who keep their entire
complement of six tools in a kitchen drawer. A "handy" fellow like me
wasn't going to fool around with an adjustable wrench.

Turns out the nuts - TWO different sizes - were non-standard.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

I bought a bike for my daughter a number of years back. The assembly
instructions listed the tools that would be needed; including an
adjustable wrench. I'm no grease monkey, but I have basic sets of
sockets in English and Metric sizes. I figured the "adjustable wrench"
recommendation was for those poor benighted souls who keep their
entire complement of six tools in a kitchen drawer. A "handy" fellow like
me
wasn't going to fool around with an adjustable wrench.

Turns out the nuts - TWO different sizes - were non-standard.

Oh yeah - a real handy guy does have a few different sizes of adjustable
wrenches around at all time. I've got toos - lots of tools, but I also have
and handful of adjustable wrenches. Ya just gotta know when to use 'em and
when not...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

I bought a bike for my daughter a number of years back. The assembly
instructions listed the tools that would be needed; including an
adjustable wrench. I'm no grease monkey, but I have basic sets of
sockets in English and Metric sizes. I figured the "adjustable
wrench" recommendation was for those poor benighted souls who keep
their entire complement of six tools in a kitchen drawer. A "handy"
fellow
like me
wasn't going to fool around with an adjustable wrench.

Turns out the nuts - TWO different sizes - were non-standard.

Oh yeah - a real handy guy does have a few different sizes of
adjustable wrenches around at all time. I've got toos - lots of
tools, but I also have and handful of adjustable wrenches. Ya just
gotta know when to use 'em and when not...

....and apparently ya gotta know how to spell - or at least how to proof-read
before hitting send...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2014 4:14 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Oh yeah - a real handy guy does have a few different sizes of
adjustable wrenches around at all time.

I have them. But they're not nearly as convenient as a socket wrench,
especially when (as always happens) you don't have enough room to spin
the wrench in a circle. You end up getting a quarter of a rotation
before you need to reposition the wrench.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

[...]

Density matters for a lot of reasons, not the least is sound
transmission. It also adds to thermal mass. I have floating counter top
(no underneath support) hanging off a plaster lath wall, would of been
much harder to do with sheetrock.

And if you want perfectly smooth, so be it.

Now, I'm a bit of an unusual guy, and while many of you just want a
perfect modern house, I think that is OK. But I like my old house and
have fixed the plaster and updated the insulation. The old cast iron tub
has it's charms and so does the sink. The house has good bones.

All in all it's a pretty solid house with wood lap siding (who does
that now?). I probably have the only (mostly) solar heated house in the
neighborhood and I've added a few other unusual items, some of which I
can control from a tablet. I'm not trying to set an example, I just like
to try out new and original things. Certainly *not* a path for most.

We have a tendency in this country to just throw out the old, and with
that, it is gone for good. I have a better appreciation than most for
diversity, and saving some of the old is part of that.

But I do understand that some people just simply
like the older stuff. To me - that's preference thing and there is no real
argument in favor of plaster.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff Thies wrote:

Density matters for a lot of reasons, not the least is sound
transmission. It also adds to thermal mass. I have floating counter
top (no underneath support) hanging off a plaster lath wall, would of
been much harder to do with sheetrock.

As for sound transmission - that's not quite as simple as one might think.
Denser/harder materials will transmit sound through them and/or reflect
sound off of them more so than less dense materials. This is not a cut and
dried sort of discussion that can easily be expressed at one being better
than the other. It's probably safe though to say that a less dense material
will absorb and reduce sound much better than a more dense material. Look
at the insides of a sound studio.

Now, I'm a bit of an unusual guy, and while many of you just want a
perfect modern house, I think that is OK. But I like my old house and
have fixed the plaster and updated the insulation. The old cast iron
tub has it's charms and so does the sink. The house has good bones.

Tip of the hat to you for that, sir. To each his own, and it's good that
you enjoy yours.

We have a tendency in this country to just throw out the old, and
with that, it is gone for good. I have a better appreciation than
most for diversity, and saving some of the old is part of that.

We do, but I don't really see that as the case with the comparison of
plaster vs. sheetrock. Except to acknowledge your last statement.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff Thies wrote:

My dad's house (which he built) has aqua fixtures (tub, sink, toilet),
all Kohler, in the upstairs bath. Kohler had great style, even 60
years ago. With that said, a blue toilet usually goes with nothing.

Except a blue tub and pink tile...

--

-Mike-

Why the U.S. is Switching to Metrics [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 19th 14 05:05 PM
Bandsaw Help Searcher7 Woodworking 6 January 12th 07 12:10 PM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 11:17 PM
Bandsaw Bill Houdek Woodworking 8 November 23rd 05 04:00 PM
14" bandsaw Grant Woodworking 73 April 23rd 04 01:22 PM