Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Bandsaw metrics

On 2/10/2014 10:31 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

And, how many old homes have trashed the plaster and
replaced with ****rock? Plaster has a feel, texture and
density that can't be replicated. And nobody has mold
problems with it as it has no cellulose.

But it (probably) has wood lath and wood rots. For that matter,
never seen mold on a block wall? I have,many times, no cellulose
there either.

To be fair - I've torn out a lot of plaster and lathe walls in upstate NY
and never once have I encountered rot. I know - now that I've said that

There's a reason for that. The old homes were pretty airy. So they got
lots of air to dry them out. With todays push to close the house off
they would get very moldy. BTW is the Green thing really good. There
seems to be more environmental issues with a closed off house it doesn't
breathe and gets moldy, over a less tight house.

someone will point to a case in some abscure set of circumstances, that they
found it. My point is - it next to don't happen.

That said - I see nothing particularily endearing about plaster and lathe.
Why would someone want those almost close to kinda sort flat and smooth
walls when "****rock" does it much better? I personally don't care about
the density of plaster. But I do understand that some people just simply
like the older stuff. To me - that's preference thing and there is no real
argument in favor of plaster.

And then we have the stupid Architects that still don't realize that in
a northern area it's better to put bathrooms on inside walls rather than
outside walls. My bathroom is in the corner of the house.. The shower is
freezing in the mornings.. It's so prone to mold on the back of the
shower that when I redo the bathroom I expect to find tons of mold on
the outter part of the shower and sheathing. It's ok to have one wall,
but why wouldn't you put the closet on the outside wall and the bathroom
on the inner, yes one wall would still have an outside wall. The shower
and sinks should be located on inside walls not an outside wall, that
would solve the mold issue.

--
Jeff