Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why the U.S. is Switching to Metrics

The switch to metrics began some years ago, after a job related
incident. An elderly carpenter was looking for an apprentice. He put
an ad in the newspaper and hired a young man, who had just left high
school. He told the man that he would hire him, as long as he worked
hard, and did whatever he was instructed to do.

The first day on the job, he measured a board, handed this board to the
new apprentice, and said "go cut a foot off". Moments later he heard
the power saw start, and seconds later heard a blood curdling scream.
He ran over to the young man, and saw his apprentice laying on the
ground, with one foot sawed off his leg.

The elderly carpenter called an ambulance, and the young man was rushed
to the hospital where he was treated and survived, but lost his foot.
This incident ended up in court, after the young man's parents sued the
carpenter. The carpenter explained the incident to the judge, by
saying: "Today's youth dont learn anything in school anymore. I told
him to cut a foot off of a board, and he cut his own foot off". The
carpenter was not charged, because the judge agreed that the youth of
today and not getting a proper education.

After the court trial, the carpenter said "I'm glad I did not tell that
kid to cut a yard off". The neighbor's yard might have ended up in the
ocean."

The judge later decided something had to be done to prevent this sort of
incident from happening again, and suggested that the U.S. switch to the
metric system, to eliminate confusing words like "foot" and "yard".
since both of these words have more than one meaning.

The rest is history!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2014 3:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

About a week later, the same carpenter told the next
kid to just go around back of the house, and cut a
meter off. There was a blinding flash, and the saw
stopped. The carpenter went around back of the house,
to find the kid fried to a charred crisp, the sawzall
still stuck in the power drop to the electric meter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/16/2014 3:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

cut a meter off of what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 1/16/2014 3:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

Length is spelt metre.
The electricty measuring thing is spelt meter.

To difficult for Americans to grasp I suppose.
Ah yes, stupidity rules as usual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/2014 03:54 AM, harryagain wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

[snip]

About a week later, the same carpenter told the next
kid to just go around back of the house, and cut a
meter off. There was a blinding flash, and the saw
stopped. The carpenter went around back of the house,
to find the kid fried to a charred crisp, the sawzall
still stuck in the power drop to the electric meter.

Length is spelt metre.
The electricty measuring thing is spelt meter.

To difficult for Americans to grasp I suppose.
Ah yes, stupidity rules as usual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

Says who? Your bloody queen?

Tell your royal dried up old **** that "we the people" had a vote on it and decided to spell it "meter".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2014 3:54 AM, harryagain wrote:

Length is spelt metre.
The electricty measuring thing is spelt meter.

To difficult for Americans to grasp I suppose.
Ah yes, stupidity rules as usual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

Yes, stupidity rules. That should be "Too difficult" according to the
grammar police.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2014 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/18/2014 3:54 AM, harryagain wrote:

Length is spelt metre.
The electricty measuring thing is spelt meter.

To difficult for Americans to grasp I suppose.
Ah yes, stupidity rules as usual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

Yes, stupidity rules. That should be "Too difficult" according to the
grammar police.

Used in a sentence: "I'ze goin to Englan an
see da kween. I'ze goin tell her to her face
when I meter."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2014 3:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

It figures that you limeys would take orders directly from the French.

To difficult for Americans to grasp I suppose.
Ah yes, stupidity rules as usual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

No, to practical to care.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

To difficult for Americans to grasp I suppose.

Back here to get your ears boxed again, eh?

Keep sticking you nose under the circus tent.

--
"I don’t have an indoor loo." -- Bill Schulz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:30:51 -0500, wrote:

It figures that you limeys would take orders directly from the French.

I seem to recall reading that the Brit's ate frogs before the French.
Check my numbers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:30:51 -0500, wrote:

It figures that you limeys would take orders directly from the French.

I seem to recall reading that the Brit's ate frogs before the French.
Check my numbers

Are you surprised to learn that the French are into sloppy seconds?

Switching lights F[_2_] UK diy 20 December 6th 13 04:42 PM
RF switching Meepus[_2_] Electronic Schematics 4 March 8th 08 04:58 PM
switching indep Electronics Repair 1 June 8th 06 10:18 PM
Switching to TRV's Uno Hoo! UK diy 4 January 7th 05 07:55 PM
it keeps switching off!! DVM2788 UK diy 1 December 20th 04 03:30 PM