Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Bandsaw metrics

On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the
motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now
the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on
the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the
wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated
in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket
to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got
to love those far-thinking Chinese.

Another incident comes to mind.

I bought a bike for my daughter a number of years back. The assembly
instructions listed the tools that would be needed; including an
adjustable wrench. I'm no grease monkey, but I have basic sets of
sockets in English and Metric sizes. I figured the "adjustable wrench"
recommendation was for those poor benighted souls who keep their entire
complement of six tools in a kitchen drawer. A "handy" fellow like me
wasn't going to fool around with an adjustable wrench.

Turns out the nuts - TWO different sizes - were non-standard.

---