Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw metrics

Jeff Thies wrote:

Density matters for a lot of reasons, not the least is sound
transmission. It also adds to thermal mass. I have floating counter
top (no underneath support) hanging off a plaster lath wall, would of
been much harder to do with sheetrock.

As for sound transmission - that's not quite as simple as one might think.
Denser/harder materials will transmit sound through them and/or reflect
sound off of them more so than less dense materials. This is not a cut and
dried sort of discussion that can easily be expressed at one being better
than the other. It's probably safe though to say that a less dense material
will absorb and reduce sound much better than a more dense material. Look
at the insides of a sound studio.

Now, I'm a bit of an unusual guy, and while many of you just want a
perfect modern house, I think that is OK. But I like my old house and
have fixed the plaster and updated the insulation. The old cast iron
tub has it's charms and so does the sink. The house has good bones.

Tip of the hat to you for that, sir. To each his own, and it's good that
you enjoy yours.

We have a tendency in this country to just throw out the old, and
with that, it is gone for good. I have a better appreciation than
most for diversity, and saving some of the old is part of that.

We do, but I don't really see that as the case with the comparison of
plaster vs. sheetrock. Except to acknowledge your last statement.

--

-Mike-