Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just got a bandsaw

I'm the proud new owner of a Jet 14" bandsaw (This model, but older
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Base-Bandsaw-
Model-JWBS14CS.aspx). I plan on resawing and cutting rough timber/firewood
for drying. What do I need to know about using the saw?

Right now, there is a 3/4" blade on it. A 5/16" blade was included as
well.

I had used one back in high school, but it was usually just a turn it on
and make a cut operation. There was no thought given to blade tension,
guide adjustment other than height, etc.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2011 3:28 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm the proud new owner of a Jet 14" bandsaw (This model, but older
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Base-Bandsaw-
Model-JWBS14CS.aspx). I plan on resawing and cutting rough timber/firewood
for drying. What do I need to know about using the saw?

I would suggest installing ceramic guides over roller bearing guides.

For serious resawing I use a 1.25" blade with 1.2 TPI. Fewer teeth is
the main focus.

Right now, there is a 3/4" blade on it. A 5/16" blade was included as
well.

I had used one back in high school, but it was usually just a turn it on
and make a cut operation. There was no thought given to blade tension,
guide adjustment other than height, etc.

That is generally all you have to do with the better HD band saws.
Smaller, less rigid saws tend to have to be treaked more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

Releasing blade tension when not in use is not "tweaking". And "the
better HD band saws" do need the blade tension and guides adjusted when
you change blade widths. If you have to adjust them for every cut
something is wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

1. Get a 1/2" Woodslicer blade
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...&page=play&res
id=ED4947A9805111A1!621

What are you linking to?

*snip*

7. Reduce tension until you next need to saw

Note that wood is going to drift when ripping/resawing; i.e., the wood
will want to go through the blade at an angle. That is normal.

Is reducing tension, say two or three twists on the tensioning knob
sufficient, or should I release it as much as I can?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Jul 2011 15:41:40 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Is reducing tension, say two or three twists on the tensioning knob
sufficient, or should I release it as much as I can?

Puckdropper

The purpose of reducing the tension is to eliminate the blade putting
pressure on, and creating grooves in, the tires prematurely.
Therefore, you would need to release as much as you can until the
blade is completely loose.

As far as the tension is concerned I have noticed no difference when
the adjustment is off a few turns one way or the other. Others may
comment on their experience on that aspect.

Happy sawing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/11 11:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in

*snip*

7. Reduce tension until you next need to saw

Note that wood is going to drift when ripping/resawing; i.e., the
wood will want to go through the blade at an angle. That is normal.

Is reducing tension, say two or three twists on the tensioning knob
sufficient, or should I release it as much as I can?

I make it good and floppy...about 2 1/2 full turns. Just do the same each
time so you can retension it by reversing the number of turns.

Just for the sake of discussion...
There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal. Tension, release, tension, release, tension, release, over and
over again acts like the old bending a paper clip until it breaks
illustration.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in

*snip*

7. Reduce tension until you next need to saw

Note that wood is going to drift when ripping/resawing; i.e., the
wood will want to go through the blade at an angle. That is normal.

Is reducing tension, say two or three twists on the tensioning knob
sufficient, or should I release it as much as I can?

I make it good and floppy...about 2 1/2 full turns. Just do the same each
time so you can retension it by reversing the number of turns.

Just for the sake of discussion...
There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal. Tension, release, tension, release, tension, release, over and
over again acts like the old bending a paper clip until it breaks
illustration.

Since this is just for the sake of discussion: The effects from adding
and releasing the tension of the blame seem (to me) utterly trivial
compared to the work hardening that is done when the blade moves, like a
pulley, around the BS wheels when the saw is running. You could pull
(and release) both ends of a straight piece of wire all year and I don't
think it would any the worse for wear. This may be related to steel
having a high tensile-strength, but I don't think this accounts for the
wear concerned with here.

The spot on the blade where it is welded may more likely give in a
repeated tension-release cycle. I do not know enough to know.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

If I had just gotten a new bandsaw, the first thing I would do is get a
"riser" for it and increase the throat height by 6" (that comes in so handy
for so many things) Obviously, when you do that you need a new blade - I
agree with the "Wood Slicer" from Hightland Hardware recommendation. I have
tried others and have had none that touched the way the Wood Slicer
performs. As far as releasing the tension, I never do and have had no
excess wear on the tires. I have had the saw over 10 years I am still on the
same set of tires and they show no grooving at all at all.

Deb

wrote:

I'm the proud new owner of a Jet 14" bandsaw (This model, but older
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Base-Bandsaw-
Model-JWBS14CS.aspx). I plan on resawing and cutting rough
timber/firewood
for drying. What do I need to know about using the saw?

Right now, there is a 3/4" blade on it. A 5/16" blade was included as
well.

I had used one back in high school, but it was usually just a turn it on
and make a cut operation. There was no thought given to blade tension,
guide adjustment other than height, etc.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"dadiOH" wrote in :

1. Get a 1/2" Woodslicer blade
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...&page=play&res
id=ED4947A9805111A1!621

What are you linking to?

*snip*

7. Reduce tension until you next need to saw

Note that wood is going to drift when ripping/resawing; i.e., the wood
will want to go through the blade at an angle. That is normal.

Is reducing tension, say two or three twists on the tensioning knob
sufficient, or should I release it as much as I can?

Puckdropper

Buy or make a handle to replace the knob. I just take four turns off and
put them back on when I'm going to cut again.

I also use a 1/2" woodslicer for resawing. Suites my needs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in
:

If I had just gotten a new bandsaw, the first thing I would do is get
a "riser" for it and increase the throat height by 6" (that comes in
so handy for so many things) Obviously, when you do that you need a
new blade - I agree with the "Wood Slicer" from Hightland Hardware
recommendation. I have tried others and have had none that touched
the way the Wood Slicer performs. As far as releasing the tension, I
never do and have had no excess wear on the tires. I have had the saw
over 10 years I am still on the same set of tires and they show no
grooving at all at all.

Deb

I'm seriously considering getting the riser kit. I know it changes the
blade size, so I'll probably use what I've got to get a feel for how the
saw works.

Does your saw get used on a regular basis? That seems to be one of the
variables no one mentions when talking about releasing the tension.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:56:26 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal.

That may be true or not, but I suspect the blade would get dull before
that causes a break. At least I've never had one break. Maybe I'm
discarding them too soon :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:50:11 -0500, Leon wrote:

For serious resawing I use a 1.25" blade with 1.2 TPI.

The O/P bought a 14" bandsaw, not whatever monolithic monster you
have :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In articlemtSdnfisVoVqqYHTnZ2dnUVZ5gednZ2d@giganews. com, lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.
Did any one say anything about not releasing the blade tension? No,
only you.
It is not at all unusual for the cheaper built BS's to have to be
tweaked "during" a cutting operation.

Did any one say you have to tweak for every cut? No only you. I said
the smaller less ridgid saws tend to have to be tweaked more.

Many BS's are not sturdy enough to hold the upper wheel tilt setting
through out a cutting operation. Yes their frames bend from the blade
tension. Read that as a 20-30+ minute cutting operation.
Basically many cheaper BS's are not built strongly enough to hold their
settings.

And FYI upper end HD band saw's DO NOT necessarily need to have the
guides adjusted when going from a narrower blade, adjusted for that
blade, to a wider blade. In fact the upper end HD BS's can easily run
with out guides at all. Yes they hold their tracking that well. Further
I almost never have to readjust my upper wheel tilt when going from a
1/2" blade to a 1.25" wide blade and or back again. Try that on a just
about any Home Depot grade BS. Blade tension on HD BS's is much much
less of a necessary adjustment, the blade tends to cut as well at one
blade tension setting as another setting for the same blade. So when
you have been running the saw for 20-30= minutes or during a resawing
operation and the blade becomes longer because of the heat build up
retensioning and upper wheel tilt adjustment during the operation is not
generally needed.

So to requote the OP's paragraph,

I had used one back in high school, but it was usually just a turn
it on and make a cut operation. There was no thought given to blade
tension, guide adjustment other than height, etc.

This is exactly what I do with my HD BS. I don't worry about blades
cooling off, getting hot, readjusting, etc. I tension the blade at the
beginning of the day and release the tension at the end of the day.

So why don't you purchase a HD series MiniMax, Laguna or similar BS and
compare it to "YOUR" BS and see which one you want to use more and get
back to us with your findings.

Feeding concluded.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2011 6:50 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

LOL... I know but the same principal applies, wider blade, fewer teeth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2011 4:21 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

If I had just gotten a new bandsaw, the first thing I would do is get a
"riser" for it and increase the throat height by 6" (that comes in so handy
for so many things) Obviously, when you do that you need a new blade - I
agree with the "Wood Slicer" from Hightland Hardware recommendation. I have
tried others and have had none that touched the way the Wood Slicer
performs. As far as releasing the tension, I never do and have had no
excess wear on the tires. I have had the saw over 10 years I am still on the
same set of tires and they show no grooving at all at all.

Deb

FWIW it is good to hear your tires are still ok after being tensioned
for 10 years. BUT you release the tension to also take the strain off
of the BS frame, bearings, and blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2011 11:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:56:26 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal.

That may be true or not, but I suspect the blade would get dull before
that causes a break. At least I've never had one break. Maybe I'm
discarding them too soon :-).

I would have to agree, a blade changes tension all the time during
operation, it expands when it warms up and contracts when it cools off.

That said, my wife had a blade break on her while cutting 1/8" thick
"card board". Go figger.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 7/12/2011 11:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:56:26 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal.

That may be true or not, but I suspect the blade would get dull before
that causes a break. At least I've never had one break. Maybe I'm
discarding them too soon :-).

I would have to agree, a blade changes tension all the time during
operation, it expands when it warms up and contracts when it cools off.

That said, my wife had a blade break on her while cutting 1/8" thick
"card board". Go figger.

----------------------

The blade bends and straightens every time it goes over a pulley and then
through the cutting zone. I doubt a little tension change does more than
that.

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:38:41 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

--nothing of consequence--

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.

Leon, once you understand the concept, handling trolls is easy.
You simply don't repy to their teasers and you filter them so you
don't see the crap they spew.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

--nothing of consequence--

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.

Leon, once you understand the concept, handling trolls is easy.
You simply don't repy to their teasers and you filter them so you
don't see the crap they spew.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

But the trouble with totally ignoring, some one, a newbe, might believe
what they have to say.

So when he makes a false statement in regard to what I have said, he is
going to be called on it and corrected.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

--nothing of consequence--

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.

Leon, once you understand the concept, handling trolls is easy.
You simply don't repy to their teasers and you filter them so you
don't see the crap they spew.

But the trouble with totally ignoring, some one, a newbe, might believe
what they have to say.

So when he makes a false statement in regard to what I have said, he is
going to be called on it and corrected.

If you had him filtered, you wouldn't have seen it and it wouldn't
have bothered you. And newbies learn the hard way that they shouldn't
listen to the trolls, so what's the harm. PHAFH.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
--nothing of consequence--

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.

Leon, once you understand the concept, handling trolls is easy.
You simply don't repy to their teasers and you filter them so you
don't see the crap they spew.

But the trouble with totally ignoring, some one, a newbe, might believe
what they have to say.

So when he makes a false statement in regard to what I have said, he is
going to be called on it and corrected.

If you had him filtered, you wouldn't have seen it and it wouldn't
have bothered you. And newbies learn the hard way that they shouldn't
listen to the trolls, so what's the harm. PHAFH.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
--nothing of consequence--

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.

Leon, once you understand the concept, handling trolls is easy.
You simply don't repy to their teasers and you filter them so you
don't see the crap they spew.

But the trouble with totally ignoring, some one, a newbe, might believe
what they have to say.

So when he makes a false statement in regard to what I have said, he is
going to be called on it and corrected.

If you had him filtered, you wouldn't have seen it and it wouldn't
have bothered you. And newbies learn the hard way that they shouldn't
listen to the trolls, so what's the harm. PHAFH.

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

In Agent, it's Ctrl-K and Yes.
Downloading newest T-bird now...
Setting up newsgroups...

Sheeeit, Leon. It's just like setting up a spam filter.

Uckinfay Ozillamay. Ask those idiots how to set it up. It either
doubles my news server url in the filter or doesn't work. sigh

Get a real news reader, whydoncha?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/13/2011 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

While highlight offending message, under Message menu, "Create Filter
from..."

Could be made more trivial but it does work...altho afaik only see the
changes when either change the actual group in focus or restart to
rescan groups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have no problem with my news reader, you were the one that suggested
the adjustment. I was simply asking you how you wanted me to make that
adjustment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

While highlight offending message, under Message menu, "Create Filter
from..."

Could be made more trivial but it does work...altho afaik only see the
changes when either change the actual group in focus or restart to
rescan groups.

--

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 7:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

In Agent, it's Ctrl-K and Yes.
Downloading newest T-bird now...
Setting up newsgroups...

Sheeeit, Leon. It's just like setting up a spam filter.

Uckinfay Ozillamay. Ask those idiots how to set it up. It either
doubles my news server url in the filter or doesn't work.sigh

Get a real news reader, whydoncha?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ok La-rey the Clark is plonked. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

wrote:

On 7/12/2011 8:03 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

--nothing of consequence--

As usual you are showing your ignorance in public.

Leon, once you understand the concept, handling trolls is easy.
You simply don't repy to their teasers and you filter them so you
don't see the crap they spew.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

But the trouble with totally ignoring, some one, a newbe, might believe
what they have to say.

So when he makes a false statement in regard to what I have said, he is
going to be called on it and corrected.

What I wanna know is how on this "HD band saw" one manages to go from a
1-1/2 inch blade to a 1/8 inch blade without adjusting guides. Does the
1/8 inch blade just ride way back in the back of the guides rubbing its
teeth off them and riding on the edge of the wheel or something?

Every band saw I've ever seen has an upper and lower guide behind the
blade and when you change blades widths that has to be adjusted to the
new width. Is this "HD band saw" not so equipped?

I mean since I'm so horribly wrong on this that I deserve to be
killfiled, I'd really like to know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You have no problem with your news reader except you can't get it to
filter, hmm?

I tried and have the same problem. The Mozilla support site has no
usable info. Try the Thunderbird support community.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:29:40 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/13/2011 7:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

In Agent, it's Ctrl-K and Yes.
Downloading newest T-bird now...
Setting up newsgroups...

Sheeeit, Leon. It's just like setting up a spam filter.

Uckinfay Ozillamay. Ask those idiots how to set it up. It either
doubles my news server url in the filter or doesn't work.sigh

Get a real news reader, whydoncha?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ok La-rey the Clark is plonked. ;~)

One Atta Boy comin' atcha!

Now you can add all the other trolls to those filters. It makes the
Wreck a much nicer place to play.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:28:20 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

While highlight offending message, under Message menu, "Create Filter
from..."

Could be made more trivial but it does work...altho afaik only see the
changes when either change the actual group in focus or restart to
rescan groups.

--

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

I believe you're right, and no smiley applies.

I'm sorely disappointed in Mozilla of late. The last two upgrades to
Firefox have eaten my data and broken Firefox. I reverted to v3.6.18
to get bookmarks, passwords, and the simple back button back.

I asked questions on the community forums and got a reply 4 months
later.

This has me rethinking my reliance on Mozilla products. Maybe I'll
start using Agent for email, too. Anyone here do that? Spill the
beans, please!

I was perfectly happy with the paid version of Eudora email until they
phased it out. Then I was perfectly happy with Outlook Express until
they did away with that. I was perfectly happy with Netscape 3 until
they caught the upgrade/****up bug. I was perfectly happy with
Mozilla 1.0, and now look at the mess. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

WTF is wrong with companies? Why must they phase out their best
working, best selling (or most downloaded), most enjoyed products?

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
"dadiOH" writes:
Puckdropper wrote:

Right now, there is a 3/4" blade on it. A 5/16" blade was included as
well.

1. Get a 1/2" Woodslicer blade

I had the impression that wider was better for resawing.
Is there a reason to prefer a 1/2" Woodslicer over a 3/4" Woodslicer?

--
Drew Lawson What would Brian Boitano do?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Explain to me in explicit detail how to filter him in Thunderbird 5.0.

While highlight offending message, under Message menu, "Create Filter
from..."

Could be made more trivial but it does work...altho afaik only see the
changes when either change the actual group in focus or restart to
rescan groups.

--

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

I believe you're right, and no smiley applies.

I'm sorely disappointed in Mozilla of late. The last two upgrades to
Firefox have eaten my data and broken Firefox. I reverted to v3.6.18
to get bookmarks, passwords, and the simple back button back.

Are you using 5.0 for FF and TB? I am not having problems with either,

I asked questions on the community forums and got a reply 4 months
later.

Sounds about right.

Snip

.. Then I was perfectly happy with Outlook Express until
they did away with that.

me too.

Snip

WTF is wrong with companies? Why must they phase out their best
working, best selling (or most downloaded), most enjoyed products?

You get what you pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:28:20 -0500, Leon wrote:

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

I'm running 3.04 under Ubuntu Linux and filters work just fine, thank
you. Cockpit error? Or is the Windoze version less capable?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 10:14 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:28:20 -0500, Leon wrote:

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

I'm running 3.04 under Ubuntu Linux and filters work just fine, thank
you. Cockpit error? Or is the Windoze version less capable?

The Windows version works fine (I use linux but SWMBO uses windows). If
you mark the offending posts as "read" rather than the default "delete",
all is fine. You can't delete posts by another poster, so the filter
appears not to work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 12:14 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:28:20 -0500, Leon wrote:

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

I'm running 3.04 under Ubuntu Linux and filters work just fine, thank
you. Cockpit error? Or is the Windoze version less capable?

Don't know what the problem was, with TB 5.0 the filter works very much
like Outlook Express did.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 12:40 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 7/14/2011 10:14 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:28:20 -0500, Leon wrote:

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in need of
so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I think. ;~)

I'm running 3.04 under Ubuntu Linux and filters work just fine, thank
you. Cockpit error? Or is the Windoze version less capable?

The Windows version works fine (I use linux but SWMBO uses windows). If
you mark the offending posts as "read" rather than the default "delete",
all is fine. You can't delete posts by another poster, so the filter
appears not to work.

You can "now" delete posts by another poster in TB 5.0. and they disappear.

So far TB 5.0 does not have that NAG window indicating an error with
every use. That happened 99% of the time with 3.x although I never saw
any thing wrong other than not being able to delete another posters posts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

v3.6.18 FF and v5 TB as of today.

I asked questions on the community forums and got a reply 4 months
later.

Sounds about right.

Sounds about wrong to me.

Snip

. Then I was perfectly happy with Outlook Express until
they did away with that.

me too.

Snip

WTF is wrong with companies? Why must they phase out their best
working, best selling (or most downloaded), most enjoyed products?

You get what you pay for.

No, I'm talking about purchased programs, too.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 3:31 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 7/14/2011 12:40 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 7/14/2011 10:14 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:28:20 -0500, Leon wrote:

Well thank you. It would never work on TB 3.x

I had all kinds of problems with TB 3.x and it seems it was in
need of so such an improvement that they skipped 4.x altogether, I
think. ;~)

I'm running 3.04 under Ubuntu Linux and filters work just fine,
thank you. Cockpit error? Or is the Windoze version less capable?

The Windows version works fine (I use linux but SWMBO uses windows).
If you mark the offending posts as "read" rather than the default
"delete", all is fine. You can't delete posts by another poster, so
the filter appears not to work.

You can "now" delete posts by another poster in TB 5.0. and they
disappear.

From your computer, I am sure. Same in OE. They don't disappear from the
server though, which doesn't really matter as they are no longer bothering
you (us)

Co-wrecked!

Bandsaw Help! Chris Woodworking 5 December 17th 07 04:04 PM
FS - Bandsaw Al A. Metalworking 6 September 24th 07 10:11 AM
Bandsaw Kevin B Woodworking 1 August 31st 06 11:29 AM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 11:17 PM
New use for a bandsaw NokNokMan Metalworking 35 October 22nd 05 06:11 AM