Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just got a bandsaw

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 7/12/2011 3:28 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm the proud new owner of a Jet 14" bandsaw (This model, but older
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Base-Bandsaw-
Model-JWBS14CS.aspx). I plan on resawing and cutting rough timber/firewood
for drying. What do I need to know about using the saw?

I would suggest installing ceramic guides over roller bearing guides.

For serious resawing I use a 1.25" blade with 1.2 TPI. Fewer teeth is
the main focus.

Right now, there is a 3/4" blade on it. A 5/16" blade was included as
well.

I had used one back in high school, but it was usually just a turn it on
and make a cut operation. There was no thought given to blade tension,
guide adjustment other than height, etc.

That is generally all you have to do with the better HD band saws.
Smaller, less rigid saws tend to have to be treaked more.

Releasing blade tension when not in use is not "tweaking". And "the
better HD band saws" do need the blade tension and guides adjusted when
you change blade widths. If you have to adjust them for every cut
something is wrong.