Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw Help!

I'm having trouble adjusting my bandsaw blade.It was cutting fine yesterday,
I was resawing some old pine with no problems. Then later I noticed the wood
being pulled away from the fence as I sawed. I tried adjusting the fence for
drift using a piece of wood a bit longer the table with a squared edge. I
draw a line parallel to the edge, saw it free hand about halfway , then
adjust the fence. I noticed while doing this I had to swing back & forth
just to get it to saw straight. Each time the fence is not adjusted
correctly. When I try & use it the wood is pulled away from the fence. When
I try to resaw with it, it nearly makes an "S" shape. Can't figure it out,
really feel like pulling my hair out as I'm in the middle of something &
need to resaw a few more boards. The blade is a 1/2" wood slicer. I've had
no problem with these, can a blade just get bad but still be sharp? Any
thoughts?

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris wrote:
[...]

Possibilities that come to mind:
dull blade
loose guides
not enough tension

good luck,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pine has lots of pitch, which leads to high heat. Possible damage to blade
from excess heat.

Perhaps you can change blades to test . . . .

"eclipsme" wrote in message
news
Chris wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Check to see if your blade still has the proper set. If one side has lost
all or part of its set (from hitting a nail or some other object) it will
act like you discribed. Cure for this is to reset the teeth on one side of
the blade or lose the set on one side of the blade until both sides match.
If it were me I would get a new blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:43:03 -0500, "Chris" wrote:

[...]

Are you SURE that the blade's still sharp, Chris?

The 1st sign I notice if I use a "less than sharp" blade is that it starts
wandering..

Personally, I'd change the blade before I messed with a saw that was well set
up/tuned..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

&
forth just to get it to saw straight. Each time the
fence
is not adjusted correctly. When I try & use it the
wood
is pulled away from the fence. When I try to resaw
with
it, it nearly makes an "S" shape. Can't figure it
out,
really feel like pulling my hair out as I'm in the
middle
of something & need to resaw a few more boards. The
blade
is a 1/2" wood slicer. I've had no problem with
these,
can a blade just get bad but still be sharp? Any
thoughts?
Chris

Yes, it can. If there's been a consistant pressure, it
could be moving the set of the teeth on one side til it
finally starts to wander.
Or if you nicked a staple or something with one side
of the blade. When only some of the teeth are dull
and/or lose set, it'll still feel sharp but actually
isn't. Check it more closely.

Got a spare blade? Make sure a machine setting didn't
slip while you were futzing with it. Top wheel is
famous for misalignment on some. How about the guides?
Guides can strip a set in a hurry if maladjusted too
far forward.

HTH

Pop`

Best Bandsaw under $500? HerHusband Woodworking 12 September 8th 06 07:03 AM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 11:17 PM
my new old bandsaw Billy Woodworking 0 January 2nd 06 10:56 PM
17 bandsaw Bradford Chaucer Woodturning 4 December 25th 05 04:06 PM
"Toy" Bandsaw Ray Field Metalworking 13 February 19th 05 04:40 AM