Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bradford Chaucer

Default 17 bandsaw

I'm considering a bandsaw in the 17 -18 in range. I'm looking at units by
Delta, Grizzly, Shop Fox and Jet.

Anyone have comments pro or con?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Don

get a three hp model no matter which brand u choose
and make sure you can access the lower guides easily..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Day

I have an 18" jet with a 1.5 Hp motor with a 12" depth of cut. I converted
it to 220VAC (very easy to do...directions in the owner's manual). Works
great but you will need to get a new blade in order to turn smaller circles
since the factory blade is 3/4"

"Bradford Chaucer" wrote in message
I'm considering a bandsaw in the 17 -18 in range. I'm looking at units by
Delta, Grizzly, Shop Fox and Jet.

Anyone have comments pro or con?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom

I have a 24 inch Grizzly.

I have had to replace the upper bearings twice and the belts three
times.

Now for the real story.

I have had it for 6 years or more.

I bought it at the internatinal wood working show and it may have
been longer.

It is turned on at 7:00 AM and Off at 4:00 PM every day 5 days a week.

It runs as well now as the day I got it.

I got back up parts from Grizzly and had them in 24 hours.

I was at Stonemoutain Power Tool this morning and saw the 20 inch
Jet.

It look just the same but smaller as my Grizzly.

I have had problems in getting parts for Jet but never from Grizzly.

Most of my tools are over 20 years old and are powermatic.

As I buy new tools today I would by grizzly.

Larry Clark

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:51:40 -0500, Bradford Chaucer
wrote:

I'm considering a bandsaw in the 17 -18 in range. I'm looking at units by
Delta, Grizzly, Shop Fox and Jet.

Anyone have comments pro or con?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bubba Wood

I have the 20" Grizzly. The model with the cast iron wheels. It cuts
great. I've used the 1/2" blade that came with it... a 1" blade from
Griz and Highland hardwares Wood Slicer 3/4"... All do a great job.
Lot of green in my shop and so far no problems.

Larry

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:35:01 GMT, "Larry Day"
wrote:

I have an 18" jet with a 1.5 Hp motor with a 12" depth of cut. I converted
it to 220VAC (very easy to do...directions in the owner's manual). Works
great but you will need to get a new blade in order to turn smaller circles
since the factory blade is 3/4"

.. .