jim

Default Bandsaw Box...

I don't have a bandsaw, but would like to try my hand at making bandsaw
boxes. I realize cutting the box is only a small part of finishing it, so
before I buy a bandsaw, I would like to try finishing one.
I'm looking for someone with a bandsaw to cut me a bandsaw box.
Does anyone know of a person or company that would cut me a box?
If so how much do you think it's worth?

Thanks
Jim

George

Or, check with local schools and colleges. I know I'd spend a little time
after classes if you brought (and left behind) your own blade.

The other thing that comes in _real_ handy with bandsaw boxes is an
oscillating spindle sander.

jim wrote:

I don't have a bandsaw, but would like to try my hand at making bandsaw
boxes. I realize cutting the box is only a small part of finishing it,

so
before I buy a bandsaw, I would like to try finishing one.
I'm looking for someone with a bandsaw to cut me a bandsaw box.
Does anyone know of a person or company that would cut me a box?
If so how much do you think it's worth?

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:17:31 -0500, "jim" wrote:

I don't have a bandsaw, but would like to try my hand at making bandsaw
boxes.

I don't much like bandsaw boxes, I think they're all too often a big
crude version of a fretsawn box (scroll saw to you Leftpondians).
Electric fretsaws are pretty cheap (Hegener or maybe Delta are good)
and if you're into this sort of freeform cutting, then you might find
one worth getting.

Silvan

T. wrote:

You got a scrollsaw? That'll work.

Or even a coping saw for $7.95. Take a bit of time, sure, but probably not
that much time. You could even avoid the problem of how to glue the thing
back together by drilling a clearance hole, threadding the blade through,
and doing all the sawing from the inside. Same advantage with a scroll saw
too, actually. This can't be done with a bandsaw unless you want to
re-weld the blade when you're done.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:15:34 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Or even a coping saw for $7.95.

The trouble with coping saws on a deep cut is that they're not good at
holding the blade vertical. It's the same problem as using a C-frame
scrollsaw rather than a parralelogram linkage.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 04:45:35 -0800, "Paul"
wrote:

Does anyone have a link to sites that show boxes done with a scroll saw?

http://www.yewboxes.co.uk

You can make this quite small and complicated. Here are some used as
jewellery
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jewel/

Home made Bandsaw question???? Darryl Moore Metalworking 11 August 16th 04 05:36 AM
Homebrew bandsaw project part 2 is now up. Roy Metalworking 4 January 9th 04 02:27 AM
Bandsaw blades for Metal brownnsharp Metalworking 11 November 21st 03 10:12 PM
Bandsaw Tuning #1 Wayland Woodworking 6 August 24th 03 12:59 AM
Moving A Large Bandsaw Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 1 July 30th 03 07:46 PM