Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Bandsaw question...

I've been lusting after a nice H/V bandsaw like the Jet version that
goes for around $900 which is unfortunately more than my budget. I was
reminded of my need for a bandsaw last night while cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw.

It seems that Harbor Freight has the el-cheapo bandsaw that is normally
about $200 on sale for $170 and they've sent me yet another 20% off
coupon which would make it about $136. Of course I'd still have to buy a
good name brand blade and some new bearings to get it into shape. The
question is - At $136 + tax and tune up parts, is this bandsaw too
useful to pass up?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

W/ $9.80 shipping, DO NOT pass it up!
Get two!

Altho this type of saw is not the best choice for extensive plate-type
cutting.
But, otoh, may be yer only choice.
You can, however, enlarge the platen from the stock 1x1" to about 2x3" or
so, w/o interfering w/ the horizontal operation. Helps a lot, not hard to
do at all.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Pete C." wrote in message
I've been lusting after a nice H/V bandsaw like the Jet version that
goes for around $900 which is unfortunately more than my budget. I was
reminded of my need for a bandsaw last night while cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw.

It seems that Harbor Freight has the el-cheapo bandsaw that is normally
about $200 on sale for $170 and they've sent me yet another 20% off
coupon which would make it about $136. Of course I'd still have to buy a
good name brand blade and some new bearings to get it into shape. The
question is - At $136 + tax and tune up parts, is this bandsaw too
useful to pass up?

Thanks,

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Snell

Pete C. wrote:

I've been lusting after a nice H/V bandsaw like the Jet version that
goes for around $900 which is unfortunately more than my budget. I was
reminded of my need for a bandsaw last night while cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw.

It seems that Harbor Freight has the el-cheapo bandsaw that is normally
about $200 on sale for $170 and they've sent me yet another 20% off
coupon which would make it about $136. Of course I'd still have to buy a
good name brand blade and some new bearings to get it into shape. The
question is - At $136 + tax and tune up parts, is this bandsaw too
useful to pass up?

Thanks,

Pete C.

Yes. Buy it, and some good blades. 10 and 14 pitch are handiest.

Pete

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

6 pitch is great for brass/alum bar, 24-32 for thin-wall tube. Nice to have
an assortment--oh, and a friend w/ a blade welder!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Pete Snell" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

W/ $9.80 shipping, DO NOT pass it up!
Get two!

Altho this type of saw is not the best choice for extensive plate-type
cutting.
But, otoh, may be yer only choice.
You can, however, enlarge the platen from the stock 1x1" to about 2x3" or
so, w/o interfering w/ the horizontal operation. Helps a lot, not hard to
do at all.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

No shipping, pickup at local store. One will be enough, especially since
the 20% is for one item.

That's generally what I was thinking, I may still want to get the bigger
Jet bandsaw in the future, but for such a low price the HF bandsaw would
probably more that pay for itself in time saved pushing a hacksaw.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

I think every person on this ng has one of those saws!
Rather than getting a bigger version of an H/V, if you find this little 4x6
is good for your horizontal cutting, I would get a regular Do-All-type
vertical bandsaw for the other stuff. I looked at the stuff from Sears, but
it's just too awful.
These, and an abrasive chop saw, and yer likely in bidniss.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PV:

You can always build a blade welder. It's not too difficult.
Building one, that is. As for welding blades, THAT is another story!
See Home Shop Machinist March/April 1996, pg 48.
Regards,

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Pete C. wrote:

... cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw. ...

Oh, I feel your pain! I know your question is about H/V bandsaws, but
for 3/8 aluminum plate, use your table saw (if you have one). Much
*better* than the bandsaw! If no table saw, a circular saw is still
better than a bandsaw. Carbide blades, of course.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

... cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw. ...

Oh, I feel your pain! I know your question is about H/V bandsaws, but
for 3/8 aluminum plate, use your table saw (if you have one). Much
*better* than the bandsaw! If no table saw, a circular saw is still
better than a bandsaw. Carbide blades, of course.

Bob

That would be incredibly scary for cutting 2" wide strips from random
scraps of 3/8" plate, not to mention rather loud at midnight.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Pete C. wrote:
I've been lusting after a nice H/V bandsaw like the Jet version that
goes for around $900 which is unfortunately more than my budget. I was
reminded of my need for a bandsaw last night while cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw.

It seems that Harbor Freight has the el-cheapo bandsaw that is normally
about $200 on sale for $170 and they've sent me yet another 20% off
coupon which would make it about $136. Of course I'd still have to buy a
good name brand blade and some new bearings to get it into shape. The
question is - At $136 + tax and tune up parts, is this bandsaw too
useful to pass up?

If this is the same crappy Chinese 4x6" H/V bandsaw that everybody has
been selling for the last 15 years, you really need it! I hate the
usualy Chinese crap, but even with my best efforts at abusing the
thing, it has done wonderful service in my shop. On mine, the only
recurring problem is the lower wheel slowly walks off the shaft, and
has to be reset periodically. I finally retapped the hole and put
double setscrews in it, and it hasn't slipped in quite a while.

I bought 100' rolls of cheap carbon steel blades and brazed them for
a while until I got lucky on eBay with a bandsaw welder. I've used
up about half of two different pitch blades on the thing, cutting
everything from fiberglass PCB material to tool steel. The only
reason not to get this one is to hold out for the next size up! I cut
some sheet materials on it, and it is a pain due to the narrow throat.
But, the alternatives (hacksaw, jigsaw, circular saw, axe, whatever) are
so much more of a pain! I can't believe I was able to make anything in
the shop before I got that saw!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DOC

You can also make up a larger table and support it
in the vice. Vertical operation only of course.

DOC

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
W/ $9.80 shipping, DO NOT pass it up!
Get two!

Altho this type of saw is not the best choice for extensive plate-type
cutting.
But, otoh, may be yer only choice.
You can, however, enlarge the platen from the stock 1x1" to about 2x3" or
so, w/o interfering w/ the horizontal operation. Helps a lot, not hard to
do at all.
----------------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Koschmann

not really... i do it all the time... up to about 1 1/2" thickness.
Cutting 3/8" plate is like cutting butter..

All it takes is two (OK 3) things... a good triple chip grind table saw
blade (with a wax lubricant stick) and a sled that slides in the mitre
groove on the table saw with a clamp.

You use the sled t create one smooth edge on the ramdom plate, and then the
rip fence (with a push block) to to rip as many 2" strips as needed.

A good TS prperly aligned will have mimimal kickback so you can be quite
safe. And it is quite noise-free.

Ever seen a commerical Al factory? Table saws are used every day --
faster than any bandsaw and smoother, finished cut too. (Thick stuff -- 2"
plus-- is Bandsaw territory though...)

steve

"Pete C." wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

... cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw. ...

Oh, I feel your pain! I know your question is about H/V bandsaws, but
for 3/8 aluminum plate, use your table saw (if you have one). Much
*better* than the bandsaw! If no table saw, a circular saw is still
better than a bandsaw. Carbide blades, of course.

Bob

That would be incredibly scary for cutting 2" wide strips from random
scraps of 3/8" plate, not to mention rather loud at midnight.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Pete,
I just bought the $170 bandsaw from Harbor Freight. I was on their site
yesterday and now it is priced at $209.
Anyway...I finally got mine set up. It comes with a cheapy 1/3 HP
motor. I cut a brass shaft that was about 1-1/2" in diameter and then I
started on a 3" chunk a few hours later. It ran for about five minutes
and the motor promptly quit, although it did not lock up. I let it cool
off (it was starting to get real warm to the touch), but it was too
late. (Don't look Ethel! LOL). I went to the hardware store and bought
a decent 1/2 HP motor for $80 and I am in the process in installing
that one.
Piece of sh!t motor. The rest seems to be OK. I still feel that I did
OK in buying this. I got it for $169, $8.95 shipping and the $80 motor.
The next cheapest bandsaws were around $200 and shipping was
approximately $70-$90 and I am sure those motors weren't probably much
better.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"mj" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Did you check inside the gear box to see if there is any casting sand left
in there? Come to think of it, you might also check to see if there is any
oil, too.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

mj wrote:

[...]

It's in their current flyer (good until Dec 19th) and there is a note
that it has a 1HP motor as well (lot 37151). I note that Enco typically
lists this saw in three versions, the base with the el-cheapo motor, a
version with a UL listed motor for about $20 more and a version with a
USA motor for about $80 more than the base.

At any rate, with the additional 20% coupon (good until Tuesday) and no
shipping cost with pickup in the local store, it seems that even if I
replace the motor it's still so much cheaper than any other option that
it's sure to pay for itself.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to mj :
Pete,
I just bought the $170 bandsaw from Harbor Freight. I was on their site
yesterday and now it is priced at $209.
Anyway...I finally got mine set up. It comes with a cheapy 1/3 HP
motor. I cut a brass shaft that was about 1-1/2" in diameter and then I
started on a 3" chunk a few hours later. It ran for about five minutes
and the motor promptly quit, although it did not lock up. I let it cool
off (it was starting to get real warm to the touch), but it was too
late. (Don't look Ethel! LOL). I went to the hardware store and bought
a decent 1/2 HP motor for $80 and I am in the process in installing
that one.

I've heard of this before. Interestingly enough, I've put many
hours on mine, bought some years back now, which was sold by MSC for a
bit more than the others at the time. I think that they spec'd a much
better motor, as I have never felt it overheat.

The description from some who have had the motor burn up was
that the actual length of the frame and rotor inside the motor was a lot
shorter than you would expect from the housing. I would be interested
in seeing whether your motor has the same construction.

Piece of sh!t motor. The rest seems to be OK. I still feel that I did
OK in buying this. I got it for $169, $8.95 shipping and the $80 motor.
The next cheapest bandsaws were around $200 and shipping was
approximately $70-$90 and I am sure those motors weren't probably much
better.

Maybe not, maybe so. But it sounds as though you are ahead of
the game, and with that new motor in there, you can expect it to keep
going for quite a while.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564