Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Just got a bandsaw

On 7/12/2011 11:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:56:26 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal.

That may be true or not, but I suspect the blade would get dull before
that causes a break. At least I've never had one break. Maybe I'm
discarding them too soon :-).

I would have to agree, a blade changes tension all the time during
operation, it expands when it warms up and contracts when it cools off.

That said, my wife had a blade break on her while cutting 1/8" thick
"card board". Go figger.